User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

More iPod Special Editions?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
More iPod Special Editions?
thedustin

2004-10-27, 01:28

Maybe other bands? Beatles? (ha) Led Zepplin? Stones?

_thedustin
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-27, 01:35

I think so!

I posted this in the other iPod thread - but it is probably more relevant here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
I'm also wondering about Special Edition iPods - who else do you think Apple will team up with?

In terms of plain old iPod, I could see many other bands being featured - or this being used to drive sales of iPods for "groupies". I'm old school though - I'd love to see a Queen one.

As for iPod photo, could they do a Star Wars one for instance, with a bunch of officially licensed photos from the George Lucas collection - I mean, they offered .Mac subscribers some sounds from Skywalker sounds - this isn't too much of a stretch!

Maybe a collection of images from a famous photographer - Alfred Eisenstaedt, for instance?

The possibilities certainly present themselves, don't they?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-27, 02:52

From Daring Fireball:

Quote:
This was supposed to have been announced at this morning’s Apple event, but the U2 segment ran long (private message to Bono: thanks, jerko) and I ended up getting bumped. So, you’re hearing it here first. I’m incredibly happy to announce the new iPod Daring Fireball Special Edition:

Like no other, iPod Daring Fireball Special Edition stands out. Slate gray, it bears a subtly lighter gray Apple Click Wheel, and, on the flip side, my autograph. Available for just $349 with a 20 GB capacity, it comes with an exclusive Daring Fireball T-shirt, and, of course, the signature white iPod earbuds.

As an extra special treat, it includes the entire Daring Fireball archive in audiobook (a.k.a. “podcast”) format, featuring recordings narrated by Christopher Walken, Douglas Rain, Ellen DeGeneres, Donald Rumsfeld, Dr. Joyce Brothers, and Apple Computer co-founder Steve Wozniak.

iPod Daring Fireball Special Edition is expected to be available soon.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-10-27, 03:24

i hope they dont release any more special additions. i mean what do i do if they do? buy another ipod? i cant keep buying ipods. i would love to get a led zeppelin edition with all there songs on it, and a smashing pumpkins one and a STP one and a pearl jam one and a whatever one.

thing is though i just cant fucking afford a shelf full of special edition ipods!!!!

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-27, 04:07

I bet that's just what Apple loves to hear too! We all want our own custom designed "groupie" iPods - think of what a collectible item they might turn out to be in ten years time or so.

"Oh yeah, this is my Ashlee Simpson Special Edition iPod. Thing is, it starts songs (a bit out of sync though) and then doesn't finish them."

"Oh - and this is my Flock of Seagulls iPod - bit of waste though ... 40Gb and just one song preloaded. Still, I dig the way it has a fleck of yellow hair painted on one side."

It could go on and on ... maybe customisation is the next step.

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-10-27 at 04:10. Reason: typos - still not sure how to spell groupie/groupy though ...
c-choox

2004-10-27, 05:14

They should use that chameleon technology so the whole iPod can take on the appearance of the album art :smokey:

They could sell the album-art-for-iPods over iTunes
thedustin

2004-10-28, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
i hope they dont release any more special additions. i mean what do i do if they do? buy another ipod? i cant keep buying ipods. i would love to get a led zeppelin edition with all there songs on it, and a smashing pumpkins one and a STP one and a pearl jam one and a whatever one.

thing is though i just cant fucking afford a shelf full of special edition ipods!!!!
Mac nerd Beeenie Babies for the wealthy. Genius.

_thedustin
diagonalman

2004-11-02, 11:53

Ah forget the different bands... I want Xibit from Pimp My Ride to work on an iPod... use that paint that chances colors at different angles and add ghost flames!
myipodisbetterthanurs

2004-11-02, 12:06

Iron Maiden, Stratovarius or Yngwie Malmsteen Special Editon iPod!
porter

2004-11-02, 15:44

Why not go designer? There are already a slew of luxury brand iPod cases, from Gucci to Louis Vuitton. Imagine a limited edition iPod with white gold or platinum as the backing. Or the white face with the rainbow colored LV logos. They could be halo iPods- few could afford them, but it could really raise the profile of the iPod for the average consumer. Imagine the press the iPod would get. You could secure the position of the iPod as a luxury brand in the consumer electronics world, so even if dell does come out with a 5gb "iPod mini killer" for cheap, people would still want to pay the premium for Apple. It would be like comparing BMW to Kia.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2004-11-05, 01:17

The next special edition iPod.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-11-05, 01:30

i want a NIN iPod.
Delkan Cott

2004-11-05, 11:24

a zeppelin iPod would be fantastic ... or a dead iPod.

cheers
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-05, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkan Cott
... or a dead iPod.
I'm sure there are a number of dead 1st-generation iPods out on eBay.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2004-11-05, 16:20

Why stop with musicians? Jenna Jamison SE vidPod anyone?

But seriously, if apple ever liscenses the Beatle library, a Beatles SE iPod would sell like mad.

Imagine all the people in line to pick up an iPod preloaded with every Beatles track ever!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2004-11-24, 16:17

Well...Garbage is coming out with a highly-anticipated, repeatedly-delayed album in April...and it will mark their tenth anniversary...and I would pay $349 for it if it included the (small, compared to U2) Garbage library (and probably even if it didn't)...

...please, Apple?

In any case, I'd be willing to bet more Special Edition iPods are in the cards, but I s'pose that depends on the success of the U2 version.