Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Lose some, win some for Gates in CES keynote

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lose some, win some for Gates in CES keynote
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-06, 10:25

Discussion of a different keynote this time.

Gates keynote

The attached story has some interesting reporting on Gates annual keynote at the Consumer Electronics Show. Some things didn’t work, some things looked bad and questions are raised about the viability of certain MS products in the face of competition from other companies, including Apple. On the other hand, it seems that MS is very aggressively targeting the digital entertainment market with their vast financial and marketing resources and it seems inevitable that they will succeed in at least some areas.

It will be interesting to see how things play out over the next couple of years in this market area.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2005-01-06 at 12:14.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-06, 10:32

Conan got to use a D2x... the lucky bastard. None have been seen on the street yet, not that I could afford even half of such a camera at this point. Maybe just the wireless transmitter part.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-01-06, 10:53

Didn't a digital camera fail on Jobs at MWNY '01? Something with the batteries I think. It happens to the best of 'em. The BSoD was funny tho. M$ still scares me, especially in the area of DRM'd HD-format movies and such.

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-06, 12:08

I can recall that one camera issue with Jobs, a couple of years ago (the iPhoto rollout?). And it was a lone, flaky camera...NOT the entire damn OS and/or presentation!

But this is about the third or fourth time, over the years, I've heard of something like this happening at a big keynote or event, with Gates himself (or some other higher-up) on stage. That has to be embarrassing.

The child in me wants to mock, ridicule and make about 41 snide remarks...but I know that's not polite. So I won't.

*whistles*...waiting joyfully for Macworld...*

Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-06, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
Didn't a digital camera fail on Jobs at MWNY '01? Something with the batteries I think. It happens to the best of 'em. The BSoD was funny tho. M$ still scares me, especially in the area of DRM'd HD-format movies and such.
MS scares me too. They have had a few disappointments in this market area, and have not recently scored any slam-dunks– such as Apple’s success with the iPod. Nevertheless, MS appears quietly extending their tentacles in any case.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Akumulator

2005-01-06, 13:12

300k feed: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1797707

100k feed: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1797705

You have to go 6-7 minutes in before Conan comes on.