kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-13, 11:20

Well, there you go. April 20 next week.

"Spring Loaded".

Let the iPad / iMac speculation begin.

I'm betting on iPads. iMacs are WWDC.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-13, 11:42

My current guesses:

* AirTags are dead. Maybe they were never intended to be a product at all and merely existed for internal testing; maybe they decided at some point that there was no point to compete (not to mention the antitrust pressure). It's also possible that they deliberately announced the third-party options last week so they can get that out of the way and surprise us with their own offering, but I just don't see the special sauce Apple can give them.

* I don't think we'll see an event for AirPods 3. We also didn't for AirPods 2, or Max. (Nor, I think, Pro?)

* they can't seem to decide whether they care about the iPad mini. Why didn't they just updated it at the same time as the Air? If they do do a new mini, I would expect it to go up in price like the Air did, and gain many of those features. I might be into that.

* the regular cadence for iPad Pro would place an upgrade this fall, but the last one was very minor, so maybe now is the time. Probably an A14X (essentially a rebadged M1) — Thunderbolt, etc. Moves upward in price. Basically a MacBook Air without macOS and with touch instead of keyboard/mouse. The big piece of the iPad Pro isn't missing on the hardware end, though. The OS just isn't quite right.

* that leaves the iMac. I think we'll see that. Maybe I should just get one of those?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-13, 12:04

The iMac would be nice. I'm just not sure it's time. But I'm wrong more often than I'm right.

iPad Pro is pretty much a done deal, and I agree with the software part. iPad OS is missing some things. A lot of things.

I thought AirTags were a thing, but I'm with you, Chucker, on the thought that they may no longer be a thing. Other companies can do this one better than Apple, provided the software back-end is good and secure, just like HomeKit. I mean, Apple doesn't make a single HomeKit thing—other than HomePod, which doesn't really count?

We sell about 1 iPad Mini every two months. They're going the way of the iPod. I see no reason for it to exist, other than for 709's orgasmic pleasure.

AirPods 3 are a maybe, but why? Seems like AirPods and Pro are pretty darned good. Other than quality issues, what else can they do?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-13, 12:12

I like the mini, but the significant screen size increase in iPhones has made its target audience a lot smaller.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-13, 12:15

Exactly. It needs something to differentiate it, and I have no idea what that is, other than for it to be a small iPad Air—which it was for a few minutes.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-13, 12:34

I think it’s an iMac. We heard throughout 2020 one was coming in the first half of 2021.

I think iPads may be a part of it but it just doesn’t seem like something to base an entire event around.

But a redesigned Mac in a new size(?) and the m-whatever stuff? And possibly some new app (the way iMovie and iPhoto accompanied new Macs back in 1999 and 2002) seems more “event-worthy” to me.

But there’s always a chance it’s just nee watchbands and some preaching. But I hope not.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-13, 13:12

An event usually comes with something interesting, like new hardware or new software. I suspect there are no new apps, no matter what device is launched. iPads have had their own show before. If there are, say, three new things to talk about (iPad, Mini, and Pro) then an event may be warranted if those three things have some new feature other than just the processor.

chucker

2021-04-13, 13:30

Unfortunately, I think the days of Apple just doing an app like iMovie and showing it at an event are over. Part of it is that they don’t really need to any more, but they’ve also kind of lost their spearheading ways.
¡Damned!

2021-04-13, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
We sell about 1 iPad Mini every two months. They're going the way of the iPod. I see no reason for it to exist, other than for 709's orgasmic pleasure.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-13, 19:15

Please Apple let it be an iMac, and a good one not just a basic model.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-15, 20:57

The one sure thing is that a much-anticipated Apple event will spend the first 15 discussing something we don't really want to hear about.

Look for an extended discussion/sales pitch about the AppleOne bundle.

On the product front, I think the silicon shortage will push the iMac intro to the WWDC in June.
So I'm thinking the iPad Pro gets an update, and the main event is the new AppleTV.

Now a really good games console, with an available game controller and a remote that won't be openly mocked.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-15, 21:47

It's amazing how all the rumors about a MacBook Pro bump died suddenly, as if they had all been silenced at once. The longer it takes to get it right is good to me, but in the meantime I'm cruising on a 6.5 year old model, hoping I can nurse her along.

Someone today suggested that "Spring Loaded" means that they're going to unload a bunch of new gear next week.

As far as new software goes, perhaps one day we'll see an iMovie type app for creating AR content - something accessible to the masses.

The HomePod-AppleTV combined with a screen would be a surprise - but doubtful. Displays are a commodity now.

Anything to do with cars would be a surprise.

iPad, of course. I'm actually interested in getting a Pro tablet for sketching and Photoshop - is that even ready for primetime yet?

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-15, 22:58

I had thought the consensus was that the 14" and 16" MacBook Pros would be out sometime in the fall.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-15, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
As far as new software goes, perhaps one day we'll see an iMovie type app for creating AR content - something accessible to the masses.
I'd settle for a new iLife app to manage meal planning, nutrition and grocery shopping.

Health is supposed to be a new Apple focus, right?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-16, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I had thought the consensus was that the 14" and 16" MacBook Pros would be out sometime in the fall.
There was a short burst where it was sounding like late spring / early summer. Then all discussion went dead once Q3/Q4 became more likely.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-16, 16:38

Just saw this...can't help but think it's all related/connected.

Just way too many "various iMacs going away" stories of late (the iMac Pro, certain 21.5" offerings).

Might be like November, with the M1 stuff placed into an existing 21.5" body (as they did with the 13" notebooks...no redesign, yet). Or maybe the rumored 24" iMac finally appears?

If something iMac-related happens Tuesday, my money is actually on the former.

I think they'd like to unveil a redesigned, next-generation iMac, both sizes (24" and something-larger-than-27"?), together, with next-generation M-whatevers, and that might be another 6+ months. But they can certainly do what they did in November and release an M1 21.5" iMac in the current design, just so they have another M1-based Mac out in the world, and then buy themselves another 6-? months to unveil an entirely new iMac lineup. Why not put their flagship desktop out ASAP, even if it's using the same M1 (performance, etc.) found in the current M1-based Macs. That's going to do the job for most users, IMO.

Those who don't agree can, and will, wait for second-generation M1 and a redesign, later this year (or even early next).

The fact that all these recent iMac-related stories never center around the 27" seems to support this. The IMac Pro has gone away and all we've heard on the 21.5" is how various configurations are drying up/becoming scarce. The 27", like the 16" MacBook Pro, is kept around as an Intel-based option for those needing that. But get the smaller, affordable and more "consumer"-friendly Macs transitioned first, ASAP.

Then all they have to focus on are the next-gen, redesigned MacBook Pros, iMacs and Power Macs in the coming 6-12 months.

Announce an M1 21.5" iMac Tuesday, keep the 27" Intel-based one (and maybe even a 21.5") around for the rest of the year. And we all know other stuff is coming. But I think the way is being cleared for a sub-$1,499 21.5" M1 iMac.

PS - Regardless of what comes, or doesn't come, Tuesday, I don't buy into the "iMacs in colors" thing that's been going around. That would be a genuine surprise to me if they unveiled a bunch of new, redesigned iMacs and they came in colors. But, sure as the world, the more I discount/poo-poo the notion, they'll go and do it. So this is all I'm gonna say about that...I don't think it's a thing. I don't even think we're seeing a redesigned iMac, even. I think the last half of 2021 (and the first half of 2022) is when all the really cool stuff starts to hit...redesigned-from-the-ground-up, next-generation iMac and MacBook Pro (and, of course, whatever latest, fever dream, unasked-for horseshit they try to make the Mac Pro this go around...a pyramid, a giant fan with the guts mounted to each blade, a set of stainless steel wheels with a CPU inside, a $7,000 aluminum sphere, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-17 at 10:23.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-17, 02:14

The iMac's certainly a possibility, but I still think the new AppleTV is a better bet.

I can wait for the new iMac to be the centrepiece announcement at WWDC in 6 weeks.

If the AppleTV is really getting the full game console treatment, I want it now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-17, 08:36

You people, it looks like we'd be able to crack these event names by now. What was that "Circles" event all about again? I can't think of any of the rest of them now. If we found them all and lined them up you'd think we could detect a pattern!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-17, 10:27

From day one, a few days ago, I took it as "a spring event, loaded with goodies". Because, as much as I'd like to, I can't think of anything truly "spring-loaded" that Apple would make. The retractor on a new Apple Pencil, maybe? I guess there could be some sort of coiled metal component to something, but just seems too literal/crazy.

The only thing I could think of along those lines would be something related to a new, redesigned iMac's adjustability/screen positioning/raising system. But that sounds like something that could wear out over time and give tech journalists the opportunity to toss around "Spring-gate" for the remainder of 2021. And I don't think we're going to see a redesigned iMac Tuesday anyway, so...

I just think they're going to release a lot of stuff, mostly in the consumer/"regular people" sector (WWDC is for the nerds and Serious Users™)...iPads, watch bands, maybe something AirPod-related (they desperately need something in that $1,000+ space!) or those little tracker tiles, and then an iMac* of some sort. A bunch of sub-$500-1,000 stuff (except for the iMac, and even it will be well under $1,499, I'm guessing). Nothing with the word "pro" in its name. And nothing over $1,299. $1,499 tops.

And I also bet the iPod goes away for good. When the store comes back up Tuesday afternoon, I have a feeling the iPod touch won't be listed under the Music heading anymore. Just a hunch...

*I truly do believe an M1 iMac is coming. But I also truly believe it's not a redesigned, "next-generation" one. Not yet. I think those get unveiled as a pair, this autumn. As they should...next-generation M-stuff, ground-up redesign for both, two new larger sizes (24" and 30"?), a rethinking of port access, some cool new speaker/audio performance, no colors but possibly something different than the silver aluminum used since August 2007, etc. I kinda expect this of all the new, redesigned M1 stuff. I think there will be some new shade that isn't light silver or darker Space Grey, and it will be given a cool name and that will be the default "everything M1-based" housing for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-17 at 11:04.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-17, 11:12

I think the iMac will be the launch-pad for the next-generation stuff—all of it!

In other words, the iMac will be the first Mx Mac to get a full redesign. I'm not saying that's happening on Tuesday, I'm just saying that it's happening first.

And that happens either Tuesday or WWDC.

Considering the world is just about out of iMacs, I'm getting much closer to feeling like Tuesday is the day, but my gut really is still thinking WWDC.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-17, 12:24

Yeah, all these 21.5" iMacs going missing, discontinued variants, short supplies, etc. in the weeks prior to a press event...there's no way that's an accident. Something is coming. At the very least, an M1 in the current design. Which is just fine. It's another Mac sporting the new stuff.

If this chip shortage is factoring in, we might not see bigger, more impressive things until later this year (or beyond), but I do think it's nice/important if Apple could have all their sub-$1,499 Macs available in the M1 ASAP. As I say upthread, please/accommodate 85% of the population (because the M1 can/does). Demanding professional types are likely waiting for that second-generation, upgrade M-whatever anyway, but there's nothing to gain by making everyone else wait.

So do something Tuesday, even if it's just what they did in November with the notebooks. We know redesigns, new sizes, etc. are coming in 6-12 months. But for now, at least offer a 21.5" iMac with an M1.

Anything beyond that will just be icing, and a nice surprise.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-18, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, all these 21.5" iMacs going missing, discontinued variants, short supplies, etc. in the weeks prior to a press event...there's no way that's an accident. Something is coming. At the very least, an M1 in the current design. Which is just fine. It's another Mac sporting the new stuff.

If this chip shortage is factoring in, we might not see bigger, more impressive things until later this year (or beyond), but I do think it's nice/important if Apple could have all their sub-$1,499 Macs available in the M1 ASAP. As I say upthread, please/accommodate 85% of the population (because the M1 can/does). Demanding professional types are likely waiting for that second-generation, upgrade M-whatever anyway, but there's nothing to gain by making everyone else wait.

So do something Tuesday, even if it's just what they did in November with the notebooks. We know redesigns, new sizes, etc. are coming in 6-12 months. But for now, at least offer a 21.5" iMac with an M1.

Anything beyond that will just be icing, and a nice surprise.
Right now the 27" does start with the same [Core i5] processor as the 21", so I guess you could debut the whole new iMac line with the understanding that the Pro version is coming at WWDC. But it's really hard for me to picture an iMac unveil that shrinks back from showing how the new 30" iMac (or whatever) badly spanks the latest competition on the PC side. Apple really likes to show those kind of slides at intros.

If they're not ready to unveil the M1X, I think Apple would just intro the smaller machine with the M1 and leave the larger iMac to WWDC.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-18, 07:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
If this chip shortage is factoring in, we might not see bigger, more impressive things until later this year (or beyond),
Apple cannot let that change the release schedule too much at this point, all the big chip makers expect the shortage to last into 2023, since it’s not just a production issue, but the supply chain of raw materials now the real issue. The demand for silicon is just that high right now. Availability is going to be limited, no matter what they do.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-04-18, 08:08

A change to the iMac would be great. Not necessarily looking as I just got a replacement iMac a few months ago from Apple and we have two M! MBPs, but a fresh redesign, with colors, would be awesome.

My wife is holding out hope for new AirPods as hers have been flaky lately, but I'm not sure that's going to happen this week.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-19, 10:53

I never trust any of these leakers, but the closer we get the more reliable the leaks get, so … maybe!

I am definitely rooting for a new iMac, but I'm not sure how I feel about the colors. While very nice to look at, for us they make inventory an absolute bear!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-19, 12:16

Yeah, colours are a question mark for me.

You really only see the colours from the back, but the back of the iMac is ugly and dedicated to wired connectivity.
So I always set up my iMac with the back to the wall.

Not sure if anyone is clamouring for colours, but Apple will likely get good use out of the increased product visibility on television.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-19, 12:20

I've never bought the "colored iMac" thing. Just seems so pointless (and, yes...I know, at one point - 20 years ago - that's exactly what Apple was doing). But...that was 20 years ago. They're not doing a lot of things now they "used to do".

Colors on a flat-screen iMac - made of aluminum, vs. curvy, translucent plastic - makes even less sense, IMO. Most computers are placed on a desk or alcove (or cubicle) that butts up against a wall. You're rarely seeing an iMac from the back (which is where most the color would be seen, that large expanse of aluminum). At least the jellybean iMacs had that nice egg-like side view to show off the tangerine, grape, Indigo, Flower Power, graphite, etc. options. But you barely see anything from the side on a modern iMac...that 1-2" rounded pooch in the back that is only seen if you're standing directly beside/behind it. So would they go through all that just so the stand/base is seen in color (or a thin sliver around the display) in most instances? I just can't see that. What a huge waste of time, manufacturing, warehousing/stocking, etc. energy and resources.

So, no...the color thing will truly surprise me.

The only thing I want to see happen, color-wise, on any new Macs is just a nice, subtle tweaking of the basic aluminum color. Something between the current silver they've used forever and space grey, that visually says "next-generation AS-based Macs". I'd be totally cool with that, because it would make a bit of sense, big picture...they're different on the inside, so they can be a little different on the outside too. After 15+ years of silver aluminum, it's time to change it up a bit. Nothing crazy, just something that sets it off a bit from what they've been (and when the Air and Mac mini get updated, they can get that new shade too). In fact, kill space grey, gold, etc. on Macs. Just have the new shade of aluminum on all AS/M-based Macs, across the board. If I ran things, that's what I would do: hammer home these are new, next-generation Macs...and you can tell just by a glance they're not ones from the previous 15 years.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-19 at 14:01.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-19, 14:09

Black glass.

That's the look I want to see.

Something so "background" you don't even notice it.

Also: dust your house

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-19, 14:13

Nobody's calling for "recede into the background completely" black glass Macs.

You'll likely get your Easter egg iMacs tomorrow, don't worry.

And it'll brighten everyone's existence.

I do think a tweaked aluminum, slightly darker (but not even Space Grey dark, mind you) makes a hell of a lot more sense than an array of colors on a product that you only really see the stand/base of. If someone can make a good, sensible case for colors on a computer where only about 10-15% of it is visible in the majority of scenarios, hey...I'm all ears. Because I've yet to hear one (and, no..."just because it would look totally bitchin' and sick AF when I'm standing behind it, connecting cables 1-2 times a year" isn't a reason).

As for portable devices - the Air and Pro notebooks - having them in multiple shades seems a little silly too. Like iPhones (and iPads) they make fitted, protective cases for those...allowing owners to both protect their $999+ investments and give them whatever color/design/look they like (solid, opaque, translucent, patterns, artwork, etc.). Apple, for the sake of manufacturing and logistics, should produce a stylish, attractive "blank canvas", a single Mac color, and let the user do whatever-the-hell they want to snazz it up, non-permanently, to their tastes. And, when those tastes change, as they often do with people (I'm on a lime/chartreuse kick of late, but I wouldn't want a laptop that I might own for 3-6 years in that color; but I might buy a fitted case/cover for it if I wanted my MacBook to look like Dick Dale's Stratocaster), you go buy another $29 cover/case. You're not stuck with a $1,799 laptop in a color you wish you hadn't gone for two years ago. I know for a fact that happens because I know a couple of these folks.

Or they can just forever chase their tail, trying to predict color trends from now until the end of time, knowing that if they botch it or calculate wrong, they've got a shitload of unsold computers in a color(s) that it turns out nobody really wanted to own. That's a big roll of the dice when you're manufacturing hundreds of thousands (maybe even millions) of high-end devices. I'd yank that variable out of the mix entirely and make that part of the manufacturing process a non-issue.

"You can have it in any color you like, as long as it's Tungsten." (my name for the theoretical new M1 Mac hue).

It will be interesting to see what they do tomorrow, because the rumors and "leaks" are all over the place. If they go with colors, are they dark and rich (like Indigo, Ruby, etc.) or light and pastel? Or fruity, in a nod to 1998-1999? Does aluminum take various shades as well as glossy, translucent plastic? If we're seeing some redesigned, next-generation iMac tomorrow will it be designed in some way where more of the rumored coloring would be visible? Because all I've heard for a year now is how the bezel/chin are getting smaller (or going away), which takes a lot of space for showing off color out of the mix. There just doesn't seem to a be a ton of visible real estate on a modern iMac to feature color, which is why I'm having trouble buying into that particular rumor. A jellybean design? Absolutely. Nothing but visible surface area on those...glossy, translucent and rounded too, which only helped make them look so yummy and eye-catching. Modern, flat-panel iMacs are a completely different animal...rarely seen from the rear, and there's really no side to speak of. The biggest place to feature color happens to be the part that often - usually? - faces a wall.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-19 at 15:13.
chucker

2021-04-19, 15:36

I'm just so booooooored of "you can have your Mac painted any color you want so long as it's silver, or darker silver". We've had that look for EIGHTEEN YEARS now. Yawn.

There's a thin line between "design is finished when there's nothing left to remove" and "what your designer has isn't a good design; what your designer has is called depression".