Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Bizarra Keynote Problem

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bizarra Keynote Problem
daviegravie

2005-02-26, 22:30

Ok... this sounds silly but here is my problem:

I installed Keynote and threw together a quick presentation. When I was done, I exported it to my desktop in Powerpoint format (worked fine).
Then I went to do a Save As to save the presentation in Keynote format onto my hardrive and nothing happens. If I hit Save or Save As nothing happens. If I try to close the program I get a "Are you sure you want to quit, you will lose your work" type message.

I cannot save and close Keynote without losing my work... what the heck is going on?

Please help.

Ps. I am new to the Mac world so I could possibly be missing something that is normal for Macs and not necessary on Windows...?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-27, 00:14

Weird. Sounds like a bug in the program. This is the new Keynote 2.0?

Testing... Yup. Definitely an isolated bug. This is not normal operation. You should report this bug with everything you just mentioned and any other details you can recall.

Fortunately, since you DID export it to a PowerPoint, you can safely quit Keynote and import the PPT file you saved to the desktop.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
daviegravie

2005-02-27, 08:04

Brad:
Are you saying that you tried to duplicate my problem and you were able to?

This is bothersome because it is such a simple (I would think common) thing I am doing. This program is useless to me without being able to export to powerpoint and save. Thanks for the workaround however, I will do that in this case and maybe try to return the program.

Dave
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-02-27, 10:25

Seems like a semi-big oversight if it's the case. I assume you can just save it as Keynote first, then Export -> PPT and close the document.
daviegravie

2005-02-27, 11:24

I don't know if I can do that... I havent shut down the program yet (its been 2 days) because I keep thinking there must be a way).

I need to call Apple... not sure if they are open today but I will try.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-02-27, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviegravie
Brad:
Are you saying that you tried to duplicate my problem and you were able to?

This is bothersome because it is such a simple (I would think common) thing I am doing. This program is useless to me without being able to export to powerpoint and save. Thanks for the workaround however, I will do that in this case and maybe try to return the program.

Dave
I think Brad was trying to duplicate your problem and couldn't.

edit:
I'll try and replicate it myself (fresh install of Keynote 2)... new presentation. two slides with blah text... export to PPT... Save and Save As both operate fine throughout the process... sounds like its unique to your end.

One of the conclusions that could be drawn from this is that your case is the unusual or non-standard one.

If you successfully exported a PPT version, (and it works) that's good news (and re-importable, so no work will be lost).

If you won't restart to confirm that it is a true bug and not a one-off quirk of your particular install (might be bad permissions, bad fonts, or one of many other potential causes for such an issue, but impossible to diagnose without a repeatable error), we won't make much progress in explaining why.

Can you tell us if there was anything odd in the file (i.e. contents that might export differently, links to aliased files in external volumes, anything other than simple text and images as a basic presentation)?

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2005-02-27 at 14:15.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-02-27, 14:32

In fact, since you still have Keynote open, make a duplicate of the exported PPT file, then open one of them with Keynote. Does it look like your content is there? Cool, no worries. Go ahead and quit Keynote, then open one of those files, and save as Keynote. (Better would be to open the PPT file in PowerPoint, but Keynote should do.)
daviegravie

2005-02-27, 15:07

OK... Thank you all for the help... here's the situation.

I finally shut it down with only the exported powerpoint slide accomplished. I rebooted, reopened the application and imported the powerpoint slide. It was a little strange becuase it took a long time (4 minutes maybe) to open the file... the file is only 2 slides and not complex at all.

But it did open and now I can do a Save As... so I guess it was a 1 time quirk (I hope).
Thanks for all your help.

Dave
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-02-27, 15:23

How very odd. Hang onto the PPT file... I bet Apple would love to see it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-27, 15:45

Yeah, I was trying to reproduce your scenario earlier.

Please remember to use that feedback page I mentioned above to report this bug. After all, if Apple doesn't know about it, Apple can't fix it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.