User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPod + iTunes Event 2005 Speculation - new iPod Special Editions?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod + iTunes Event 2005 Speculation - new iPod Special Editions?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-30, 20:07

Even if it didn't happen this time around, I bet by this time next year, every iPod with a screen (the full-size whiteys and the minis) will have color displays.

No, I have to proof, verification or good reason. But that doesn't stop anyone else here.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-07-01, 02:07

Special edition iPod guesses... I love doing this

Coldplay

DMB

Green Day

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Eminem
shatteringglass

2005-07-01, 02:15

Ugh, I've never been a fan of the special edition iPods. They decrease the value of the iPod brand, IMO. While the iPod is obviously a music device, I don't like it being associated with any one band or artist. If they wanted to introduce a black iPod, why not do just that then, instead of having a U2 Special Edition iPod?

Then again, I wouldn't mind limited edition iPods, like Apple sold back in late 2002.

Last edited by shatteringglass : 2005-07-01 at 19:46.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-07-01, 05:57

Quote:
If they want to introduce a black iPod, why not do that then, instead of having a U2 iPod?
Because you get the whole backlog of U2 albums with it. The color had more to do with U2 then a black iPod.

special edition iPods should be limited to those with a large backlog of music.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-07-01, 06:31

It's odd though, the concept behind the special editions. If you have a "band x" iPod with the entire back catalogue on, who are you trying to sell it to? "Band X's" fans, I guess. And who already owns 98% of that back catalogue...?

My girlfriend is a major U2 fan, but bought an normal iPod because she already owns all those songs and won't pay for them twice. It's all a bit odd, to my mind.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-07-01, 06:34

Well, if she was a true fan, she wouldn't mind paying twice for the music, if that gave her the iPod to show the world just how big a fan she is!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-01, 06:35

EXACTLY. Thank you (to Bryson's comment, not ghoti's )

I said this on the same day the U2 iPod was unveiled. Yeah, it's a good deal (their entire catalog for that price...but I figured anyone who was THAT much of a fan a) already HAD it all, and b) had already ripped it an a more audiophile-friendly higher bit-rate than you could get from iTMS

That whole U2 iPod thing just completely escaped me on about three levels.

And I can't believe the damn thing is still hangin' around...

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-07-01, 06:40

Well there are services that will rip your CDs for you - so perhaps this is similar. Not every U2 fan knows how to rip music, or is an audiophile. Plus, it doesn't look so bad. I still prefer the normal iPod look, but it's kind of appealing - and will certainly earn you more looks than an ordinary iPod will these days.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-07-01, 06:41

Mostly because the money Bono gets from it, he gives away to his charities...

and before 9/11 U2 was popular, but after, they became rock god, thus why the entire catalog iPod happen.Most missed everything before elevation.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-07-01, 13:17

Since I am one that owns the iPod in question (U2) and a big fan of the band from my high school days in the early early 80's. I have U2 on vinyl, cassette, CD (some of these albums I have in all three) and now the Complete U2.

I looked at what I would actually get for my $100, and there were over 200 songs that I did not have. Now there is also 200 or so song versions that I have that did not come with the Complete U2; most of which were live recordings that would show up in import record shops. Some of these recordings are very rough and some are very good.

Hell, they didn't even include the Superbowl performance they did. I still need to get a clean copy of that. The whole Slain Castle concert when his father died wasn't included either. The Complete U2 might have gone 2000 tracks if they had wanted.

They will (most likely) release a Vertigo tour CD/DVD most likely before Christmas, and it won't be included.

It is truly the Incomplete U2, but the value was and is still there, even for uber fans like me.

Mile 1
JK47

2005-07-01, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh

Coldplay

DMB

Green Day

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Eminem
Well, since Eminem sued Apple over an iTunes commercial, its unlikely....
but I'd love to see it
FreeState

2005-07-01, 21:23

How about a special iPod for each of these : 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s with the top 300 songs of the decade...

That I would buy... I doubt they would make a Depeche Mode iPod- but that and a Morrissey and New Order pod would be the best.
celebi23

Send a message via AIM to celebi23  
2005-07-01, 21:30

some stuff I found in iTunes points to a new iPod (some placeholder source icons, 2 different sizes) and possibly a movie store:

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6...odphone8yf.png
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-07-12, 23:58

Quote:

Coldplay

DMB

Green Day

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Eminem
I love guessing SE iPods too.

Coldplay, I could easily see. Easily. In fact, I'm a bit surprised that the U2 iPod wasn't replaced with a Coldplay edition when it went color. Coldplay just released a new album, it sold extremely well on iTunes (didn't it even come with extra tracks?) - a Coldplay iPod seems so incredibly obvious, I'm a bit stunned we saw a color version of the "limited" edition U2 iPod. They could keep it black, and put the X & Y graphic over the clickwheel. I'd buy it.

Like I've said before, I could see Special Edition iPods reserved for more "adult" bands, such as U2 and Coldplay, but I could just as easily see Special Edition iPod minis for "trendier" fare (*crosses fingers for a Killers iPm*). Following that logic, we'd see Special Edition iPod shuffles for garage bands
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-07-13, 11:00

Most of DMB's music isn't on the iTMS, only their most recent album, "Stand Up." I doubt they'd do an SE iPod.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-07-31, 00:36

Quote:
1GB Shuffle(flash)
2GB Shuffle(flash)
4GB mini(flash)
8 or 10GB mini(HD)
30GB iPod(HD)
60GB iPod(HD)

RIP 20GB iPod monochrome.

Well I was right about the RIP monochrome, but apple screwed me over on the size. But I'm sticking with everything else, and this time with prices:

1GB Shuffle(flash) $99
2GB mini~sport(flash) $149
4GB mini~Sport(flash) $199
8GB mini(HD, color) $249
20GB iPod(HD, color) $299
60GB iPod(HD, color) $349

RIP 512 Shuffle and 6GB iPod mini, like the 30GB, it's really lost out there once the 8GB comes.

The random 80GB video iPod may show up at $399, but thats going way out there.

Japan is going to eat the mini~sport up

Last edited by morningstarrising : 2005-07-31 at 00:42.
None Such

2005-08-10, 12:59

Quote:

Coldplay

DMB

Green Day

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Eminem
My guesses:

The Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

Both have a big catalouge and a broad fan base. They both also have appealing logos that could be put on the ipod or in a marketing scheme, not sure how that would look on the iPod though.
losslesshead

Send a message via AIM to losslesshead  
2005-08-10, 14:08

This isn't about SE iPods, but about video iPods. Video iPods would be nice. But they wouldn't need to be completely *new* iPods. Skrew having new hardware, they could just come up with new firmware for the current iPod to allow them to play videos! I mean if some people can make Linux and DOOM for iPod, I think Apple can make Quicktime iPod Edition (and they could make the movie trailers downloadable...). Because, I really want video, but just kinda got an iPod!
iCarus

2005-08-11, 08:23

I don't see a Coldplay iPod for a very long time - they've only really had 3 albums, it's just waaay to early to do something like the U2 iPod for a band that's only been around for what? 5 years?

U2 was a very good choice, successful for 20+ years and highly marketable. I think the Rolling Stones would be the next obvious choice, especially now their albums are available.

Flying High....but not too high....
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-08-11, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Such
My guesses:

The Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

Both have a big catalouge and a broad fan base. They both also have appealing logos that could be put on the iPod or in a marketing scheme, not sure how that would look on the iPod though.
Agreed. I was just trying to think which bands have a large enough back catalogue to make an SE iPod worth it, and they're great suggestions.

Should Bon Jovi ever make a comeback, I reckon they'd justify one too, or Genesis, maybe?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-11, 09:05

I thought we were talking about SE iPods, not "The Complete..." collections on iTunes.

Am I the only one who thinks that maybe future SE iPods won't necessarily debut with iTunes compilations for that band?

Everybody's all like, "Coldplay, no way, how could Apple sell a Coldplay iTunes collection?" But I don't think a Coldplay iPod would mean Apple would have to sell The Complete Coldplay.

I agree that bands with only a few albums probably wouldn't be the first choices for a SE iPod, for other reasons, but Coldplay is so popular already I think they'd be the exception to that rule.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-11, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
Agreed. I was just trying to think which bands have a large enough back catalogue to make an SE iPod worth it, and they're great suggestions.

Should Bon Jovi ever make a comeback, I reckon they'd justify one too, or Genesis, maybe?
Bon Jovi?

I think he has 3 songs at most.

Genesis? I'm pretty sure there are a couple bands more worthy than that. Remember, they have to have mass appeal.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-08-11, 16:28

Frank Zappa
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-08-13, 03:24

Green Day...Black and green???
gedto

2005-08-13, 04:51

Come on, the answer is pretty clear: Apple needs a popular young band to keep the iPod in style. Genesis iPod? Yeah, I can see it: "Go on and listen to the music your parents thought was cool" and "iPod: music for the previous generation".

Coldplay is a very nice match for the iPod, I agree it would be the biggest shot... R.E.M. maybe, but maybe not "cool" enough right now. I can see a silver iPod on its way, and it would need an american band. It just can't be that #1 american gadget has only Irish and English special editions. Metallica... too much eighties, Eminem, too controversial, Rolling Stones would be a great shot but are English... maybe with their new album we'll have a surprise, but I'll stick for an american band or author.

The most similar pick to U2 is R.E.M., Pearl Jam could be nice too...

But I even doubt they'll ever come with another SE iPod.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-13, 12:18

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll see a second SE iPod, too.

I mean...they've kept the U2 iPod around for so long, while they could/should have replaced it with other Special Editions...they even upgraded it! Not that I think it's a bad thing that they upgraded it, but I think it's odd that they've kept it around for so long. In my opinion, they should have brought out a new SE iPod (Coldplay) with the latest round of upgrades, or else simply killed off the U2 iPod - everybody who really wants one should have one by now anyway...

iPod as collectible? I love the concept, but I question Apple's execution. I think SE iPods could be a really big iPod seller, but only if Apple keeps them "Special" enough.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-08-13, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
iPod as collectible?
Can you imagine the TAiP? (20th Anniversary iPod)

They'll charge $1000 and some guy will come over to your house, dressed in a tux, to set it up for you.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-13, 12:30

Part of me hopes they never make that mistake again, and part of me hopes they do.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-13, 12:37

Personally I would just like to see more "Complete Box Sets"

The complete U2 for 149 dollars was a really good deal and had a huge amount of things included that would be near impossible to track down in a store. It really displayed the iTMS's advantage over record stores.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-08-13, 15:14

radiohead. They are AWOL from iTMS up to now.

REM (mentioned above) are well-respected by everyone, I believe.

Pearl Jam - without a record label now (their choice) and big pushers of the iTMS on their website.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.