User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Powerbook 15" Titanium 1ghz fan runs constantly

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Powerbook 15" Titanium 1ghz fan runs constantly
quipurite

2007-07-05, 14:36

Hello to you all. I am a new member. Some of you will recognize the problem I am asking help with.

I own a 15", 1ghz Titanium Powerbook. There have been many posts on the web about the problem of the fan always on. My 15" starts it's fan when the temps are read as low as 28C and usually around 30 or 31C the fan starts going and won't stop. Without any CPU demand, it gets going and keeps going. I figured from my research that the fan should be turning on for this unit around 48C, but most of the time I was reading a range of 59 to 65C for the fan to turn on. So, I'd like to set the fan to come on at a number between 59 and 65C. If I found a fix, I would try 65C first. I have a home audio studio, and the noise is the problem.

What I have tried to fix the problem (with no beneficial effects on the problem):
Resets>PRAM and PMU
Replaced the 10.4 AppleADM103x.kext to the one from 10.2.8.
Reinstalled 10.2.8
Installed G4FanControl 0.5, but it would not open up. Contacted the developer, no word yet.
Considered smcFanControl 1.23, but that is for the MacBook only.
Considered FastSlow, but it seemed only for the G5.

All I want to do is to control, reset at what temperature the fan comes on. it would be nice if it stayed there and started up at the new setting, but I would be willing to reset it at every boot up. many thanks in advance to any help here. Larry
GladToBeHere

2007-07-05, 19:39

This may seem pretty silly, but how about repairing permissions and rebooting? Or run a repair tool like Cocktail or Onyx?
quipurite

2007-07-06, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladToBeHere View Post
This may seem pretty silly, but how about repairing permissions and rebooting? Or run a repair tool like Cocktail or Onyx?
nothing is too silly to try. I have repaired the permissions, rebooted, run hardware tests (Apple and Techtool), unpluged the powerbook from the ac connection and ran only on battery, left it on with only the boot up apps running (at maybe 8-15%cpu usage). The unit is not getting hot. It just turns on the fan way way too early, like at 28 to 31C. So I want to have the fan turn on at say 59 to 65C, which it never will get to, and so is a very quiet machine for my music studio. Any help of any kind that could possibly help is appreciated.

larry
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-07-06, 00:51

Sounds like the temperature sensor is shot.
quipurite

2007-07-06, 17:35

thanks for your reply. I assume that the sensor you speak of is the one that tells the fan to turn on and not the one that reads a temperature. The temperatures are read by some sensor and the temperatures do vary, so whatever sensors are reading the temperture, they are working. Using Istat Pro and also TemperatureMoniter, it shows just one sensor reading, on the SMART disk Fujitsu. Is the temperature sensor you speak of something that software can check to see if it is indeed shot? Is it user replaceable? many thanks for your replies. larry
stmiller

2007-07-06, 18:44

You could try a Ubuntu Feisty Live PowerPC CD and see how the fans are under Linux. That could tell you if it is OS X, or the hardware at fault.