Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

MBP: Apple Retail Store or Online?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MBP: Apple Retail Store or Online?
autodata
hustlin

2006-04-07, 10:00

In spite of all of the problems folks are having with their new MacBook Pros, I've decided to get one. All I'm trying to decide now is whether I should get it from the online store or one of the retail stores. What do you guys think about which route would result in the lowest probability of problems?

For instance, is it correct to assume that a MBP from the online store will have been manufactured more recently than one from a retail store? Also, will employees at the retail store actually let you open up the machine, check for problems (LCD whine, pixel anomalies, etc) and exchange it for another on the spot?

In terms of convenience, getting it from a retail store is preferrable (there are a few in my area), but I'm concerned about getting one that's been sitting around for a couple weeks.

Any opinions?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-04-07, 10:03

Depends on what store you go to. The Apple store will gladly let you open up your new purchase in the store, but if you find a couple dead pixels, you'll have to eat the restocking charge in order to get a new one.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-04-07, 14:30

You pay tax at Apple Stores.
You can call PowerMax or Small Dog, order your MBP and specify that you want a Revision D and that's what they'll send you - without paying sales tax.
macleod
Now in lower-caseā„¢!

2006-04-07, 14:45

What exactly is revision D. Does that mean that it has been made most recently or something? Like if I order a iMac 20" with a 500GB HD and the upgraded RAM and video card will it be Revision D?
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-04-07, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
What exactly is revision D. Does that mean that it has been made most recently or something? Like if I order a iMac 20" with a 500GB HD and the upgraded RAM and video card will it be Revision D?
The revision D NosferaDrew refers to pertains to the MacBook Pro, specifically its motherboard revision
(D being the 4th letter of the alphabet, hence the fourth version of the motherboard). This revision supposedly fixes the infamous whine and heat issues among a few other problems.* I have no idea what revision the motherboard on the iMac may be at this point.

* MacRumors qualifies their story on the MBP revisions thus: "It appears the two digit number [Ed. of the serial number prefix?] that is described simply refers to the week of production and not distinct revisions. While fixes may have been incorporated, the # does not appear to distinguish revisions."
autodata
hustlin

2006-04-07, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
You pay tax at Apple Stores.
You can call PowerMax or Small Dog,
Good point. Thanks! Even though I get the apple edu discount, tax takes up most of the difference (although small dog is $80 more than apple edu+tax). I haven't purchased a machine from small dog in about 5 years (500 mhz titanium), but IIRC and am reading the terms right, they allow exchanges.

Last edited by autodata : 2006-04-07 at 20:39.
DavidC

2006-04-09, 18:59

if ordering from the apple website are you guaranteed to get a revision D?