User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Ok, now I'm nervous

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ok, now I'm nervous
Krientle

2007-01-03, 01:57

Ok, so I ordered my iMac before christmas, and supposedly the bookstore is going to get it in tomorrow. I didn't sign anything to buy it or anything like that, so I might try and wait a week (1 week from today is 1 day past macworld).

If I can't for some strange reason get out of the purchase, does Apple offer any kind of upgrade? It'd suck to get a brand new iMac and have it be out of date in less than a week.

~ K

1 ghz iBook G4 w/768 MB of RAM, 30 GB HD
30 GB 5th Gen Ipod
Athlon 2000+ w/512 MB of RAM, 1x 120 GB HD, 1x 250 GB HD
SpecMode
Wait what

2007-01-03, 02:03

The iMac was updated relatively recently, so I'd hazard a guess that you won't likely be missing anything. That being said, Apple does not offer upgrades on hardware purchased prior to a product refresh/replacement...so even if a new iMac were to be introduced at MWSF, unless the bookstore itself were to allow you to return the machine for a refund/exchange, you'd be out of luck.

Ah, the 'perils' of buying hardware before Macworld...

(note: As it always has been, the ground rule for buying Apple hardware is thus: if you need it now, buy it now. If you can afford to wait and see if something new is going to replace what you were planning on buying, then wait.)
Krientle

2007-01-03, 02:09

Yeah, well, I kind of need it now as my primary desktop is sitting at my parent's place. Either way I planned on using this machine for the next 5+ years anyhow, so regardless of what happens I think I'll be happy.

Of course, if they toss a blu-ray drive into the 17" w/2 gig of ram for the same price it is now, well, there's a lot of vodka in the fridge!!

~ K

30 GB 5th Gen Ipod
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-01-03, 02:16

Fat chance of that, the price of the machine would have to go up $700 to cover the cost of a a Blue-ray drive.
Krientle

2007-01-03, 02:16

Quote:
(note: As it always has been, the ground rule for buying Apple hardware is thus: if you need it now, buy it now. If you can afford to wait and see if something new is going to replace what you were planning on buying, then wait.)
Well, if that's the case, and products on average (at least the imac) are updated every 189 days (essentially 6 months), then the ideal thing to do would be to wait...and wait...and wait...

Welp, hopefully since it's only 3 months in and the average update time is 6 months, I won't miss anything. Live and learn.

~ K

30 GB 5th Gen Ipod
Krientle

2007-01-03, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Fat chance of that, the price of the machine would have to go up $700 to cover the cost of a a Blue-ray drive.
lol yeah, was kind of kidding about that. But if they updated the graphics card or something, that'd be a real bummer.

~ K
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2007-01-03, 02:34

I kind of feel the same way about the Macbook Pro, which I'm waiting to pickup from a local dealer, in regards to the graphics card, but I think I can live with it.
Krientle

2007-01-03, 02:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I kind of feel the same way about the Macbook Pro, which I'm waiting to pickup from a local dealer, in regards to the graphics card, but I think I can live with it.
Indeed, either way these are both great machines. Next semester I'm taking a parallel programming class (multiple processors, multiple machines), and I think it will be interesting to test the code I write on a dual core machine.

Which Macbook Pro did/are you going to pick up?

~ K

Edit: Ah, I see, in your sig. Nevermind. Very Nice, should be a quick lappy.

30 GB 5th Gen Ipod
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2007-01-03, 03:54

I'm hoping so. I'm also hoping its problem free, because I'll be selling my 1.42Ghz iBook G4 to help pay for it.