User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

EA officially releases C&C as freeware (sorry, Windows-only)...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
EA officially releases C&C as freeware (sorry, Windows-only)...
rampancy

2007-09-05, 10:29

http://www.commandandconquer.com/int...id=61#NewsMain

Nice if you've got XP installed on your Intel Mac via Boot Camp or your virtualization environment of choice. I tried years ago to get C&C Gold running on my VPC on my dual-G4; it ran, but it ran painfully slow. I'm sure it'd be much better on an Intel Mac.

I have to say, despite all of the RTS games I've played, I still find myself having a soft spot in my heart for the original C&C (especially the cheesy FMV cutscenes with Kane - I still remember when Seth tries to get you to invade the Pentagon and Kane shoots him in the head right in front of your eyes!). Only Starcraft matches or beats its greatness...

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-09-05, 10:53

No, Dune was the greatest of them all. Then Starcraft. Then S&C.

Dune gets points as the best, early RTS. Starcraft gets points as the most polished and best improved logic. (Attack as you move, novel idea!)

C&C for me ended up a weird limbo between the two. Not quite one of the first, and not as polished as SC.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-09-05, 11:41

The innovation that C&C: Tiberian Dawn brought into the mix was truly asymmetrical races. It was probably the first computer game I played somewhat "seriously" to win. It took Starcraft to replace it. Note that it was by Westwood Studios just like Dune2.

When compiling a history of significant early RTS, technically there's one more to add to the list: Warcraft, for having the first multiplayer. It wasn't all that great a game, but a WC match now and then between epic Doom deathmatches got us used to the idea of multiplayer RTS. What was born then kicked into overdrive with C&C.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-09-05, 15:00

Tiberian Sun! Tiberian Sun! Juggernaughts rocked my world. And Mammoth tanks. And freakin' Carryalls!

God, I really need that game again. Graphics? Pah! Playability is king.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-09-05, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Tiberian Sun! Tiberian Sun! Juggernaughts rocked my world. And Mammoth tanks. And freakin' Carryalls!

God, I really need that game again. Graphics? Pah! Playability is king.
Tiberian Sun? Ew. Easily the worst C&C game.

It just made no sense to me why I should play Tiberian Sun when Starcraft was sitting right there and was way more fun.

Still, a bad C&C game is better than most other games. I played it, I liked it, but it just paled in comparison to the other entries in the series.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
rampancy

2007-09-06, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Tiberian Sun? Ew. Easily the worst C&C game.

It just made no sense to me why I should play Tiberian Sun when Starcraft was sitting right there and was way more fun.

Still, a bad C&C game is better than most other games. I played it, I liked it, but it just paled in comparison to the other entries in the series.
Well, I've heard people argue that C&C Generals was pretty tepid (at least, until Zero Hour came out, and people started releasing some third-party mods like HalfHour and Mideast Crisis). I like Generals myself, but there's a part of me that still can't get over how they Blizzard-ized the UI for it.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-09-06, 07:57

Lets not forget that GTA was also released as freeware quite recently. I mean, come on!
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 10:03

I must say C&C has made the best RTS I have played... Yes, the story modes suck, but online/LAN rock in all the C&C games!

RA rocked
TS rocked
Gens ZH rocked
C&C 3 Rocks

My fav of them is Gens and 3, because most of my friends play them, I even had a Gens ZH lan once

(Nuke China Vs China Tank vs GLA Steath)

If you can read this this, please send to an admin, i am blocked and cant post....