User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Dock organisation Apps tool?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dock organisation Apps tool?
gbouchar

2005-09-06, 10:53

What do you suggest to organize Apps in my dock?

I'd like a free solution.

In my dock, i want an icon where i can find my applications but only the one i want to find there. Same thing with utilities. I want an uncluttered Dock.

I have installed Tugerlaunched. It is a great little product. First it is on the top bar and second i can't organize applications. Not exactly what i want.

I am a less than one year old mac user so please go soft with me!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-09-06, 11:17

Simple.

Create a folder somewhere in the Finder. Put aliases to your favorite apps in that folder. Drag that folder to the Dock.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-09-06, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbouchar
..please go soft with me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Simple.
Don't worry, I hear Brad is very gentle
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-09-06, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Put aliases to your favorite apps in that folder.
Just wanted to emphasize the word "aliases" here...

OS X is sensitive to where applications & files are located, and if you move an app out of its original folder (such as the Applications folder), it might not run correctly.

Okay, so you can't move the apps themselves. No problem -- you can put multiple aliases in multiple places and have several folders categorizing different apps together. You could even put aliases of your own preferred applications into a folder housed in your Home folder.

Remember: you can't move the apps, but you can make as many aliases as you want, putting them into as many folders as you want. And, those folders can all be kept in the Dock.
omem

2005-09-06, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Just wanted to emphasize the word "aliases" here...

OS X is sensitive to where applications & files are located, and if you move an app out of its original folder (such as the Applications folder), it might not run correctly.

Okay, so you can't move the apps themselves. No problem -- you can put multiple aliases in multiple places and have several folders categorizing different apps together. You could even put aliases of your own preferred applications into a folder housed in your Home folder.

Remember: you can't move the apps, but you can make as many aliases as you want, putting them into as many folders as you want. And, those folders can all be kept in the Dock.
are you sure you can't move the apps? i have moved apps before and the icons on the dock kept working..same happens with the aliases
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-09-06, 20:44

I was sure that apps occasionally wouldn't react well to being moved. Hmm...
SledgeHammer

2005-09-06, 21:53

Well, for one thing, Software Update won't find updates for any Apple apps that aren't in the Applications folder.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-09-06, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrackSi
Also, with regard to putting many folders in the Dock, as of 10.3.9, unless you give each folder an identifiable icon, they well all look the same and it will be difficult to tell the contents of each folder unless you move the cursor over them to view their title (or click and hold to view the contents).

You could rely on memorising the location of the folders in the dock to overcome this, but the point remains that folders look the same unless you alter their icon.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-09-06, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
... but the point remains that folders look the same unless you alter their icon.
.. and that's when you go to iconfactory.com or xicons.com (or anyplace else) and change the icons.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-09-06, 22:29

True (... and to preempt the question "How do I change the icon?")

You can do it yourself manually by "getting info" on the folder and just dragging an icon over the generic folder icon. It does not really screw with your system that much and if this is the level of alterations you do, then I'd say it is safe to do yourself - without resorting to a 3rd party haxie (or whatever they are called).
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-09-06, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
OS X is sensitive to where applications & files are located
Meep! Not true. In fact, OS X encourages you to organize your applications yourself, as long as they're not Apples. I have most of my applications not in /Applications, but in ~/Applications (/Users/chucker/Applications). I used to even organize them into subfolders, e.g. ~/Applications/Networking/..., but found this to be needlessly confusing.

With third-party applications, moving around is fine.

With Apple's, it is not, due to a problem in Software Update. (I have filed this as a bug with Apple a long time ago.) Software Update will only update your Apple applications properly if they are at their original place.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 23:29

I got obsessed with this right after I got a mac... But then I discovered Quicksilver.

I still have custom-made icons for iWork, iLife, Office 2004, Macromedia Studio, and Adobe Creative Suite. I'll tell you... Office 2004 was tough to make, because of how you had to select it from a crazy background, and because of the weird plastic box it has. It looks alright, though.

If anyone wants em, I can email them.
gbouchar

2005-09-09, 07:56

Apps folder in the dock works alright as you suggest.

It is not as easy as dragging an apps icon to the dock but it works.

I got some custom icon at Icon Factory and it is pretty.

Thanks.