Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2020 iPhone SE Jabber Thread
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-04-05, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I wouldn't want to go back to touch ID to be honest. FaceID is much nicer to have...
Actually, FaceID's a huge pain when you're outside and wearing a mask. And while this "new normal" may be completely gone in 18 months, it's likely that mask-wearing might become commonplace in certain locals and demographics in the Americas, like it is in Asia.

In a world like that, Apple's high-end phones are either going to change or see a percentage of market share loss.

(This occurred to me last week when I tried to wear a mask and do the grocery shopping. And the grocery list was on my iPhone.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Can't remember the last time we've seen a Friday product announcement, though. It's just not a great weekday to do that.
Every day is a Friday now.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-05, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Every day is a Friday now.
Oh, good. That means I only have one more day of work and it's the weekend. Yay me!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-04-05, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Actually, FaceID's a huge pain when you're outside and wearing a mask.
Depends on where you are. It's not mandatory here, and unless it is I have no intention of wearing a mask. I've yet to see evidence, other than anecdotal, that it is worth doing for healthy people. Unless you've got a stack of N95s, your wasting your time anyway. Cloth masks are almost as bad not wearing one, since you are about as likely to get sick as not wearing one, from the few studies that are out there anyway. No way get anything other than a useless cloth mask here, since all N95 and surgical masks are reserved for health care workers, thus not available via retail outlets or online orders (legally anyway). So in the meantime FaceID continues to work just fine.

Apple could also re-tune the scanner to focus on the upper part of people's faces, or even just the eyes if need be.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-06, 08:46

Well, another week...another "is it coming today?" round of anticipation and online store-checking.

As of 9:45am ET, nothing seems to be going on at the online Apple store (still up and running, current iPhone lineup still in place, etc.).

Funny how the iPhone 11 models still have the red "New" tag on them in that top, horizontal icon-based display. It's been well over six months, by a good 15 days! They're "new" only in the sense that they're the newest of all the available models...but that's it. Kinda stretching the definition of the word, otherwise; once you pass the halfway mark of the established cycle, that ain't "new".

But I know why they do it. Still funny, though.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-07, 09:47

Well, rats. It’s looking like day three of no iPhone SE: The Sequel showing up. It’s coming up on 11am ET and the online store still up, etc. Seems like it would’ve happened by now (7am PT/10am ET)

If it doesn’t happen tomorrow, I guess that Prosser leak about April 15 may be legit.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-04-07, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Well, rats. It’s looking like day three of no iPhone SE: The Sequel showing up. It’s coming up on 11am ET and the online store still up, etc. Seems like it would’ve happened by now (7am PT/10am ET)

If it doesn’t happen tomorrow, I guess that Prosser leak about April 15 may be legit.
I am the 5 year old who keeps pressing my face against the glass going Are We There Yet?????

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-07, 15:43

Yep. My original plan was to make it a full five years with my SE (until April 2021), but even after having the battery replaced on New Year's Even 2018 (15 months ago), it's really not all that robust in that department. Out of laziness (and hating to deal with any sort of "support" process/personnel), I just never pursued anything. I figured maybe that's the reason those replacements were $29 throughout the end of 2018?

You Get What You Pay For™

And Jasper, my kitty, nudged it off the bed about four months ago (trying to FaceTime the cat down the street, or order a crate of Fancy Feast from Amazon?), putting a little hairline crack in the top area near the earpiece, and I'm noticing a slightly yellow "blob" of discoloration in the very upper left corner of the display...I think it had something to do with the drop as well as that's when I first started noticing it, several days afterwards...

It all works fine, but when you combine all the above - questionable battery performance and battle damage - I'm not as determined to push it to five years as I might've been 6-8 months ago. But I still got a solid four years from it, using it every single day (sometimes quite heavily/non-stop), so I can't complain or feel short-changed one bit! I kept it two years longer than a lot of people keep their phones (and almost a full year longer than I've kept any previous iPhone). I'm totally okay if this is a four-year iPhone for me. The five would've been something neat the frugal, practical side of me would have loved to brag about, but oh well...

So maybe tomorrow (hardware has been released on Wednesday quite a bit). And if not, then I'd wager the farm next Tuesday or Wednesday.

And, yes...times like these bring out the impatient, "can I take a peak under the tree?" kid in me. I don't make many purchases (obviously, I milk something for as long as I can), so on those rare occasions where I am looking to reach for my wallet, the wait/anticipation gets me a little bonkers. I only do this about every 3-6 years, after all, so I've yet to become jaded and blasé to the whole process. I get as spun-up/excited now, at 51, as I did back in 1994, driving home with my Quadra 610 from MicroCenter in Orange County, CA...damn, a whole other lifetime ago!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-07 at 16:01.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-08, 09:35

Well, maybe next week.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-04-15, 10:06

APPLE NEWSROOM SAYS IT IS HERE
APPLE WEBSITE DOES NOT YET HAVE ITS WEBPAGE
PREORDER IS FRIDAY
64GB STARTS at $399 AND IT COMES IN RED WHITE AND BLACK

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-04-15, 10:25

Hmm. My wife is looking for a new phone and looks distastefully at the buttonless ones. Maybe she should get this.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-04-15, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
APPLE NEWSROOM SAYS IT IS HERE
APPLE WEBSITE DOES NOT YET HAVE ITS WEBPAGE
PREORDER IS FRIDAY
64GB STARTS at $399 AND IT COMES IN RED WHITE AND BLACK
r u ok

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-04-15, 12:55

LOUD NOISES

edit: LOL. Forum software un-capitalizes a post in all caps, so you have to try to make it work.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-15, 15:22

Well, now that the fool thing is here, it's time to shut this thread down.

This thread has been locked for your convenience.

~ Kscherer

P.S. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by weop View Post
I'm too excited to purchase this model of Iphone. but hope, god save me to do so!
Nice try on the quoting of a member's post while adding a cute little link to your spam garbage. Go away!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)