AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Please Don't Trust Us, Inc®

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Please Don't Trust Us, Inc®
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2019-09-04, 15:23

This thread's purpose is simple:

Post data breaches, [prove-ably false] phony promises, and other such "Please Don't Trust Us, Inc.®" data breaches, fake news (tech-related, please—no politics), etc.

Also, I am sticking this thread because these data breaches affect many of Applenova's members and you should all keep up on where your data is being abused.

FaceBook just had a server breach that exposed user names and telephone numbers affecting roughly 200 U.S., Vietnam, and U.K. users. I have never given FaceBook my telephone number (this is why), but I can in no way prove that they have not been able to collect it from someone else.

Anyway, these big tech companies and their data breaches demonstrate that "customer security and privacy" are just buzzwords that mean nothing in reality.

Boise State! … Boise State! … Boise State!
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2019-10-12, 11:59

The more Apple bows down to China, the more I think that they aren't selling privacy as a "core, fundamental value", but as a core, fundamental profit opportunity.

My mind is being changed on the "Apple cares about your rights" avenue, and I am doubting whether or not my data can be trusted with them.

I am guessing that China has far more say in Apple's future "privacy" plans than the United States government does. The backdoors into your iPhone will likely come out of Chinese laws, rather than American. And once those back doors exists, they'll be used everywhere. Apple will then say something like, "well, but police are being located by illegal software, so we really have no choice but to comply. I mean, freedom for the 'people' and all."

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2019-10-12, 13:28

What Apple should do is have a fork for sales in China, so it is not a world wide issue. Doubt they’ll do it.

Reality is that Apple, like all other big companies, cares more about shareholders wallets than customers privacy. This move should surprise no one.
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2019-10-12, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
This move should surprise no one.
After the whole police-tracking-app-pulling-thing, I'm not surprised at all. Apple is doing what the communists command, not what's in the best interests of "human rights".

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-10-12, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The more Apple bows down to China, the more I think that they aren't selling privacy as a "core, fundamental value", but as a core, fundamental profit opportunity.
Did you just derail your own sticky thread in its first reply?
kscherer
The Ban Hammer

2019-10-13, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Did you just derail your own sticky thread in its first reply?
No. The thread is intended for the “trust us but don’t trust us” actions of tech corporations.