User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft 1.2 update upcoming features


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.2 update upcoming features
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-01-21, 01:02

so... are you guys gonna get a new world with 1.2_whatever... since, you know, jungles and all?
  quote
drewprops
Magnificent Basturd™
sagacious-d
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-01-21, 11:56

Monkeys!!


...
  quote
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of ice and snow
Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-01-21, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
so... are you guys gonna get a new world with 1.2_whatever... since, you know, jungles and all?
I seriously doubt it. I guess if people are amped up for jungles we can prune disused areas of the map and see if the terrain generator plays nice.
  quote
SpecMode
Wait what
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NorCal
 
2012-01-21, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I seriously doubt it. I guess if people are amped up for jungles we can prune disused areas of the map and see if the terrain generator plays nice.
And if it does come out a bit ugly...well, y'all just stripped down and terraformed an entire desert. I'm sure making the edges of a newly-generated jungle look more or less natural would be child's play compared to that.
  quote
drewprops
Magnificent Basturd™
sagacious-d
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-01-21, 15:34

I was telling Dellphi how exciting it was to land on a new world and that I thought we should move to a new world once every year. I would personally live that. Once a world is built out to a certain level it gets boring!


...
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-01-21, 17:51

Gah. Fucking Mojang.

I really don't want to rebuild Triskaidekatopia. Really don't... even if the thought of building a Channelwood Age type area fills me with squee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I seriously doubt it. I guess if people are amped up for jungles we can prune disused areas of the map and see if the terrain generator plays nice.
I don't think that'll work, technically. jeb has stated that a new world is "required" for jungle biomes. Personally what I think is "required" is for them to hire some real fucking programmers that could make it happen without a total reboot.

I'll take the wait-and-see attitude here. If push comes to shove maybe Brad could start a separate world and transplant a jungle area, then we'd smooth out the edges as Spec mentions. Or, if the jungle trees provide different saplings that are growable* I'd be up for a jungle building party.


*holy shit treefarms, batman.

So it goes.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-01-21, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I was telling Dellphi how exciting it was to land on a new world and that I thought we should move to a new world once every year. I would personally live that. Once a world is built out to a certain level it gets boring!


...
One thing I do miss about BP is the central community. The spawn point moving and the inappropriate land grabs put a real downer on in-town building. It's no wonder we're all so far apart.

Hopefully with Bryson's theatre being built there will be new impetus to build over there.

So it goes.
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2012-01-21, 18:35

There's plenty of land in South TN, come join me!
  quote
Brad
Selfish Heathen
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Zone of Pain
 
2012-01-21, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I don't think that'll work, technically. jeb has stated that a new world is "required" for jungle biomes.
With the right technical know-how, one can convert an old world to use the new terrain generator or vice versa based on what's been shown in the preview build. I could do this pretty easily if we wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Personally what I think is "required" is for them to hire some real fucking programmers that could make it happen without a total reboot.
I think Jeb is doing alright given that he still has to work with the mountain of legacy code that Notch had built up until recently. You can't turn one brittle engine into a dynamic adaptive one without some serious thought and refactoring. Jeb's is actually making steps in the right direction, too, by retaining the old engine and teaching MC to toggle between it and the new based on a flag in the world file. Baby steps…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-01-22, 01:08

If Brad can do that, I'd be down for some pruning to see if we get a jungle. They look like fun. If not, it won't break my heart.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-01-26, 17:07

Kitteh kitteh.
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-01-26, 17:13

Kittaay!
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2012-01-26, 20:15

Kittys.

In Minecraft.

The Internet will explode...
  quote
drewprops
Magnificent Basturd™
sagacious-d
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-01-26, 20:25

Here's a linky, since these cretins were too lazy to post one.


...
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-01-26, 22:51

Imma build a house out of nothing but newspapers (or bookshelves) and breed 1000 cats.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-01-26, 22:52

Or, I should stop watching "Hoarders"



  quote
ThunderPoit
Captain Potatoman
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Saint Paul
 
2012-01-30, 10:54

This will be me the day i get an ocelot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHCw1qr_oR4
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2012-01-30, 16:45

Apparently, Jeb has plans to make the AI on the cats a bit better before the actual 1.2 release. Right now, they follow you all the time, and die frequently as a result.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-01-30, 16:53

So the same AI as the wolves used to have then.


I'm a tad worried about the jungles, given that it looks like our current world seed creates an entirely different world in 1.2 - so even if we trim chunks they're not likely to follow any of the land/water areas we have now. Sure, Brad could transplant a jungle, but would it act like a "real" jungle with ocelots and whatnot?

I guess my question would be: when we update the server to 1.2, what happens after chunk trimming? Would the trimmed chunks regenerate according to the "new" world seed or regen with current landmasses?

So it goes.
  quote
drewprops
Magnificent Basturd™
sagacious-d
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-01-31, 01:17

I still like the idea of yet another brand new world, with all the glorious infighting that would bring.




...
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-01-31, 01:36

just in time too: my atoll is done-ish.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-01, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I still like the idea of yet another brand new world, with all the glorious infighting that would bring.
I'm not entirely opposed to that, honestly, as long as what we've done in the "supposed" New World could be carried over.

Downtown TN is still broken, people are spread to the far corners, and the whole thing doesn't feel like a community ala BP but more like a world of far-off builds that we never visit. It's a bit of a downer.

If we started a whole new world then the turtles could have their own creative area right off the bat (without the bullshit that was forced upon what could've been a nice downtown), we could designate a hopefully much larger land area for communal building, and if people wanted to go off to the far corners they still could - but there'd still be a central area for everyone to call "home."

IDK, I guess I'm fine either way. This world could eventually be built up to be fun for everyone, but as of now it's a bit tainted IMO.

I think it could be fun if we found a place (either in TN or a new world) that we carried over a lot of the downtown BP structures. There's no place like home, as they say.

So it goes.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-01, 18:24

oh - as an aside - the new bukkit update broke wwarp. I was going to lay move-markers for the museum and had my request denied.
  quote
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of ice and snow
Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-02-01, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm not entirely opposed to that, honestly, as long as what we've done in the "supposed" New World could be carried over.

Downtown TN is still broken, people are spread to the far corners, and the whole thing doesn't feel like a community ala BP but more like a world of far-off builds that we never visit. It's a bit of a downer.

If we started a whole new world then the turtles could have their own creative area right off the bat (without the bullshit that was forced upon what could've been a nice downtown), we could designate a hopefully much larger land area for communal building, and if people wanted to go off to the far corners they still could - but there'd still be a central area for everyone to call "home."

IDK, I guess I'm fine either way. This world could eventually be built up to be fun for everyone, but as of now it's a bit tainted IMO.

I think it could be fun if we found a place (either in TN or a new world) that we carried over a lot of the downtown BP structures. There's no place like home, as they say.
I'd say we'd have to make a decision on this sooner rather than later. I'm not entirely opposed either, but I'd rather not put in any more work with the new rink if it's just going to have to be moved/terraformed again.

I'd just go all out rape and pillage on the mine shafts beneath it instead, plus I would dismantle the tower house for the resources. It'll be easier to rebuild in a new location rather than terraforming around it.

Also, who wants to teraform an entire desert again?

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2012-02-01, 19:12

I wouldn't mind a new world. But then again, I never do. I love novelty, okay?

Last edited by Robo : 2012-02-01 at 19:23.
  quote
SpecMode
Wait what
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NorCal
 
2012-02-01, 19:25

As much work as I've put into the Mob Hill area, I also wouldn't much mind stepping over to a new world. I just hope Jeb doesn't make changing terrain generation a habit with every version update...
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-02-01, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I'd say we'd have to make a decision on this sooner rather than later. I'm not entirely opposed either, but I'd rather not put in any more work with the new rink if it's just going to have to be moved/terraformed again.

I'd just go all out rape and pillage on the mine shafts beneath it instead, plus I would dismantle the tower house for the resources. It'll be easier to rebuild in a new location rather than terraforming around it.

Also, who wants to teraform an entire desert again?
Perhaps next time the terraforming might be done with a little magic from the admin?

It would be awfully convenient if the communal trap could be moved over; that would save time for everyone in the end.
  quote
SpecMode
Wait what
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NorCal
 
2012-02-01, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Perhaps next time the terraforming might be done with a little magic from the admin?

It would be awfully convenient if the communal trap could be moved over; that would save time for everyone in the end.
It does need to be fixed, though. Drops aren't following the water's flow anymore; they're staying where they fall. Mobs are surviving the fall a lot more often, too.
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-02-01, 19:42

Mobs surviving cannot be fixed really (nature of the size of the bounding box getting reduced, there is a greater chance the mobs are considered to have hit water before ground) -- the drops thing is easy enough, there needs to be flow under the gates.
  quote
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of ice and snow
Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-02-01, 19:47

Ok, tried out the weekly build. I'm all for moving to a new world. Plus I tested out a new seed and it is awesome.

Spawn: Jungle

Desert, grassland, ocean, mountains, and tundra surround it within a short walk.

In other words, its perfect. I'll withhold posting the seed in case we want to move there. No cheating.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Last edited by Elysium : 2012-02-01 at 20:02.
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upcoming Primaries Partial AppleOutsider 22 2008-02-16 20:06
New iPhone Features Soon! (Update: Oops, maybe not.) Buffalo Speculation and Rumors 6 2007-12-16 15:15
Upcoming Video Cards Xaqtly Speculation and Rumors 34 2007-05-14 11:56
Discussion of recent and upcoming movies Luca AppleOutsider 11 2004-11-30 14:35
Tiger has over 150 features right. So what are some of the other cool features that i doutee Speculation and Rumors 9 2004-07-07 11:58


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2019, AppleNova