User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft 1.2 update upcoming features


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.2 update upcoming features
Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next Thread Tools
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-14, 22:08

This may sound silly to all you MC lurkers, but I'd like to talk roads.

I think (and I'll take the blame for this) the sandstone roads in TN are just a waste of perfectly good sandstone. I'd like to propose that we go back to the cobble/half-slab roads (ala BP) once we get to the new world. Also, I'd like to make a suggestion (up for debate) that the roads be 3 cobble wide, 5 with the traditional half-slab edging. My reasoning for that is that we can lay glowstone in the center lane every 7 blocks. Sure, in town we can still do the hanging lighting (centered between the glowstone blocks), but I think it would be a nicer alternative than torches everywhere* on the road.

Of course that brings up the offshoot discussion. To that I say, I know, believe me. I've woken up in cold sweats because I had a dream that a 3-wide path was built towards my double doors. Odds or evens is the ultimate MC question, but I think it will be a nicer city with a 5 wide block road globally, and 4 block "paths" branching out to our double-doorways.

So, roads. Since we seem to all be spinning our wheels waiting for the next drop I thought I'd put something out there that we could decide on early.


*I long for a torch-free city, tbh. Not that I want a glowstone world, but torches placed without regard for pattern make my head asplode. That's just me.

So it goes.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2012-02-14, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
This may sound silly to all you MC lurkers, but I'd like to talk roads.

I think (and I'll take the blame for this) the sandstone roads in TN are just a waste of perfectly good sandstone. I'd like to propose that we go back to the cobble/half-slab roads (ala BP) once we get to the new world. Also, I'd like to make a suggestion (up for debate) that the roads be 3 cobble wide, 5 with the traditional half-slab edging. My reasoning for that is that we can lay glowstone in the center lane every 7 blocks. Sure, in town we can still do the hanging lighting (centered between the glowstone blocks), but I think it would be a nicer alternative than torches everywhere* on the road.

Of course that brings up the offshoot discussion. To that I say, I know, believe me. I've woken up in cold sweats because I had a dream that a 3-wide path was built towards my double doors. Odds or evens is the ultimate MC question, but I think it will be a nicer city with a 5 wide block road globally, and 4 block "paths" branching out to our double-doorways.

So, roads. Since we seem to all be spinning our wheels waiting for the next drop I thought I'd put something out there that we could decide on early.


*I long for a torch-free city, tbh. Not that I want a glowstone world, but torches placed without regard for pattern make my head asplode. That's just me.
I really like that idea. Having torches on each side of the road every two blocks (!!!) always seemed excessive to me. (No offense, whoever put them there.)

The only thing I don't like about that idea is that if you want to have your 4-block-wide offshoot path be centered between two of the 7-apart glowstone on the main road, it couldn't be. Right? But I suppose you could just have 6-apart glowstone there, if it didn't mess up anything else (like keeping it from matching a parallel street). Maybe?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-14, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I really like that idea. Having torches on each side of the road every two blocks (!!!) always seemed excessive to me. (No offense, whoever put them there.)

The only thing I don't like about that idea is that if you want to have your 4-block-wide offshoot path be centered between two of the 7-apart glowstone on the main road, it couldn't be. Right? But I suppose you could just have 6-apart glowstone there, if it didn't mess up anything else (like keeping it from matching a parallel street). Maybe?
Yeah, I think it would be up to the designer of the place to decide how blocks would merge from road to path to structure. I think we can absolve maths for those purposes. I'm going to have to do the same thing for the transit station... . Again, I'm just throwing this out there.

I don't want to be *that guy* that tries to get a bunch of rules in place, but given that nobody ever reads the guidelines (even if they say they did), I think we need a few out in the open at least.

I'd really like this coming world to have a BP feel. I know, it'll take a bit, but I'm committed to a few new and interesting landmarks. Hopefully others feel the same.

So it goes.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2012-02-14, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'd really like this coming world to have a BP feel. I know, it'll take a bit, but I'm committed to a few new and interesting landmarks. Hopefully others feel the same.
I know that I'm going to build at least one smaller thing in New Town before I build Hogwarts. I feel like I might be biting off a bit more than I can chew, with Hogwarts...I haven't actually built very many things yet, and I don't want to half-build Hogwarts and then realize it looks like crap. Plus I think a smaller project would be fun.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-14, 23:43

Oh, totally. After Triskaidekatopia I'm really looking forward to doing (comparatively) smaller things in town. Plus a quaint home on a hill reminiscent of my house in Loch Greene. Of course, there's the Museum Complex, but that can wait until we figure out how the new world city is going to be laid out.

With the height restriction pretty much released in 1.2 there is something I've been thinking about for a long while, but honestly, it's so complicated and massive that I'm not sure I could do it justice.

So it goes.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2012-02-14, 23:53

Is it this?

  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-14, 23:57

I already built that, didn't I?

But no. It's bigger. Much bigger.


And it's not a building btw....
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2012-02-15, 00:01

128-block-high wang confirmed!
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-15, 00:05

52 diameter balls FTMFW!


I'm using vines as an analog to pubes.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-15, 01:51

: )


  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-15, 01:54

Also, since most people know this already, microbrewery!!!

Imma have great fun building that
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2012-02-15, 17:36

Ooooo fun. Little people! So I sis a video of the little people in NPC villages in case you want to see them before the 1.2 launch. (SD|HD)

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Whitby
 
2012-02-15, 18:18

So, all the extra height in 1.2 is sky. Sea level is still 64. Nice!

So you have 192 blocks to work with aboveground. Sweet.


Also, lights that switch. EXCITING.
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-02-15, 20:11

Er. New mob trap is never going to work again because of the changes in mob walking behavior (ie, they won't walk over a non-solid block if the fall is too high)... The design can be modified to use pistons to push mobs off, but it might be better to think of a new way of doing this....
  quote
Brad
Selfish Heathen
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Zone of Pain
 
2012-02-15, 20:29

Can they still be pushed off with a water flow? Or will they resist the current enough?
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-02-15, 21:58

Water flow would work but lots of things have changed recently about mob behavior:

It is also important to recognize that they don't move after a number of cycles if a player is more than a certain distance away (20, I think) -- this is done to reduce computation, but it is why a significant fraction of the mobs that spawn in the current trap just sit there for a while before despawning. So a trap like the old one will be remarkably broken.

We could create floors that open every some number of cycles and drop mobs to their deaths but it would need to be much larger, i think, to account for all of the lost space for the redstone wiring.
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2012-02-23, 20:50

Oooooooo

  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-02-23, 22:00

Noticed that today. Finally!
  quote
drewprops
Magnificent Basturd™
sagacious-d
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-02-23, 23:41

Where is it?
  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-02-24, 00:11

Jeb posted about it earlier today, and it's a part of the current snapshot per the most recent release. Upside-down stairs!
  quote
drewprops
Magnificent Basturd™
sagacious-d
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2012-02-24, 00:15

Where is he posting this stuff? Is it a Twitter feed or an RSS feed or a Tumblr doohickey or a Fumblr chain or a Facebook page or a Nimbl 'nod' or a news site or a Holdr.tx 'whack'?

Things come from so many directions these days.


...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2012-02-24, 07:27

That image came from his Twitter feed. Snapshot comes from the Mojang blog that Jeb also links in his Tweets.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-24, 08:32

Plus:





and from @jonkagstrom: Me and @jeb_ have added a new mob.. Don't mess with the villagers.




So it goes.
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-02-24, 17:18

an actual gollum?
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2012-02-24, 17:25

Nice! Time to upgrade my home server to the new seed to test/play some.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-24, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
an actual gollum?
Iron Golem
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-02-24, 18:22

can we stack different slabs now?
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tidewater Virginia
 
2012-02-24, 20:01

Nope.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-24, 20:44

Huh. Maybe that image that they posted is something that they're working on then. I expect we'll be able to stack half-slabs eventually.

[edit]: Wait what? Were we always able to make half-redbrick-slabs? I will feel like a dummy if so :/

So it goes.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-02-24, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Also, I'd like to make a suggestion (up for debate) that the roads be 3 cobble wide, 5 with the traditional half-slab edging.
I tried this, and, well, it doesn't look so great. It looks big. So, in lieu of that idea, maybe we can use glowstone every [x] blocks in place of the half-slab, or just decide on a nice style of light fixture every [x] blocks (7 seemed to work nicely for the skyways, but we should vote). I still think we should go cobble instead of sandstone though. That looked so nice in BP.

So it goes.
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upcoming Primaries Partial AppleOutsider 22 2008-02-16 20:06
New iPhone Features Soon! (Update: Oops, maybe not.) Buffalo Speculation and Rumors 6 2007-12-16 15:15
Upcoming Video Cards Xaqtly Speculation and Rumors 34 2007-05-14 11:56
Discussion of recent and upcoming movies Luca AppleOutsider 11 2004-11-30 14:35
Tiger has over 150 features right. So what are some of the other cool features that i doutee Speculation and Rumors 9 2004-07-07 11:58


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:15.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2019, AppleNova