User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MacOS X and gamepad

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacOS X and gamepad
BlueApple

2006-08-19, 20:19

So I plugged the Microsoft USB SideWinder gamepad, the LED lit up on the gamepad, but I couldn't see anything under the system preference. On Windows XP, when I plugged it in, it recognized the gamepad, installed the driver itself, and appear under control panel.

Do I need to get the driver myself for the gamepad to work under MacOS X?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-08-19, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApple
So I plugged the Microsoft USB SideWinder gamepad, the LED lit up on the gamepad, but I couldn't see anything under the system preference. On Windows XP, when I plugged it in, it recognized the gamepad, installed the driver itself, and appear under control panel.

Do I need to get the driver myself for the gamepad to work under MacOS X?
Yep. Unfortunately, Microsoft's last official driver was for OS9, as far as I was able to figure out myself.

However, there is an application called Gamepad Companion that might work for you. It's not free, but if you're really stuck on using that controller, it will make it work in OS X.

If you're willing to try a different controller, you might look into buying an XBox 360 controller. They can be had fairly reasonably on eBay, and there is a free OS X driver available for it (although not an official one from Microsoft). I use it on the rare occasion that I need a gamepad on my Mac, and it works great. In fact, if you hurry, this one may go cheaper than a license for that software.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317

Last edited by Wyatt : 2006-08-19 at 20:48.