Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Where Do You Get Your Apple News?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Where Do You Get Your Apple News?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-09-11, 15:02

So I'm fed up with Macworld. For a few years now their site has been filled with PR-like reviews, lots of syndications from PC magazines, and lots of ads. Today I couldn't login to their forums (think it's related to not accepting 3rd party cookies and not allowing tracking in Safari), and when I went to reset stuff I realized just by hitting their home page, they put 15 cookies in your browser. Just by loading 1 page. Few of them are from MW.

So, in the end. F them. What sites do you guys go to for Mac news and reviews? I still check out Ars from time to time and their quality has remained. Who else do you guys like?

...into the light of a dark black night.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-11, 15:04

Ars, definitely.

I still have The Register bookmarked, too.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-11, 15:05

By the way, is there a recommended "cookie-examining browser plug-in"?

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-09-11, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Ars, definitely.

I still have The Register bookmarked, too.

+ Ars

Daring Fireball is also a good aggregate source and I know Grüber well enough now to realise when he's being too much of a fanboy.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-09-11, 15:48

I use an aggregator like Zite or Pulse and click on what ever interests me. I don't have loyalty to a particular Mac news site - chances are the top story is replicated across most of them anyway.

Perhaps give one of these a shot and if you find yourself gravitating to one particular site then you know that's the one for you.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-09-11, 15:56

I glance the headlines in Google Reader from Ars, The Verge, 9to5, Gruber, and Marco. But, when it's overwhelming, I just read Gruber.

Over the last week I've been following MacRumors because of the new iPhone rumors.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-09-11, 16:06

Ars and DF is all the Apple coverage I need these days. I pretty much rely on Ars for all my tech news with a little bit of The Verge sprinkled in, but Ars really is the gold standard.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2012-09-11, 16:29

I've got these sites in my "Apple" Folder in Reeder, even though they're not always necessarily Apple related:

Shawn Blanc
inessential.com
Asymco
TUAW
Daring Fireball
Infinite Loop (Ars)
Marco.org
512 Pixels
John Moltz's Very Nice Web SIte
Minimal Mac
SplatF
The Loop

A few repetitive stories through there, but overall, a nice mix of sites.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-09-11, 17:04

Wow good to see Ars still popular as ever among the geek set.

Drew: no plugin needed.

If you go into Privacy controls on Safari 6, clear everything out, then point your browser to the web page you want to test, with the prefs still open. After teh page loads you'll see something like "18 sneaking bastard web sites just stored cookies in your browser." Then you can click "Details" to see who the sites are. I'm pretty sure I saw one from Macworld that said "wenevergivelessthan3stars.com"

Note it's cumulative so once you clear the cookies, you have to make sure you don't go to another page before testing

captaindrewsadultcardboardemporium.com

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-09-11, 18:04

Pretty much MacRumors and Daring Fireball for me. I'll glance at AppleInsider once a week or so, especially during the build-up to something big. I can't stand The Verge, Engadget or Gizmodo...the three-headed Ground Zero for first-world hipster douchenozzlery, IMO.

I know Gruber can work a person's nerves (including mine), and he can be the most off-putting dickhead east of the Rockies...but I'll put his record (on accuracy, "little bird" tidbits/leaks, opinions on matters of tech and generally Being Right when it comes to Apple over anyone. The guy doesn't have a side business of printing retractions and/or corrections like some other sites I could point out.

If Gruber (or Jim Dalrymple) says something is true, or coming, I start eyeing my bank balance and making some plans...

These other places? I can't find a grain of salt big enough.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-09-11, 18:37

No Ars Technica, pscates?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-09-11, 18:53

I never really go there. I guess I should try. I read those OS X reviews/overviews by John Siracusa (or as much as I can before my head explodes ), but I don't go there much beyond that.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-09-11, 19:15

AppleNova mostly and then directed onwards from there.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-09-11, 20:01

I'm in the same boat as Chinney though I do have Cnet, Engadget and DF in my Reader feed.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2012-09-12, 06:42

Well I have always been a fan of macrumors.com. They seen to cut out the completely mental Apple rumours and keep the sensible ones.
Ars for general computer geekery and then anandtech.com for super geeky stuff and indepth reviews.

I did used to go to verge and Engadget but both seem to have become Apple versus Android battlegrounds. With all sensible arguments being lost to insane platform wars.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2012-09-12, 07:04

I use the Apple News section on flipboard. Aggregation for the win!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-09-12, 07:41

Thanks for some of these recommendations! I've been reading MacNN for years but it really sucks so I'm glad to get alternative sources. I read The Verge and scan Engadget. I find that The Verge, at least, has good writers and great scoops (think the Nokia 920 faked videos/photos). I avoid the comments of nearly all sites since they tend to be pretty awful.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-09-12, 09:07

I used to be a faithful reader of Engadget. Obsessed with it, really. Then they did a giant redesign and it's a pile of steaming cobblers now. I still hurt from that loss.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Axl

2012-09-12, 09:11

Here
MacRumors
The Verge
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-09-12, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I used to be a faithful reader of Engadget. Obsessed with it, really. Then they did a giant redesign and it's a pile of steaming cobblers now. I still hurt from that loss.

You know all the good writers left Engadget and went over to The Verge, right? Nearly the entire writing staff at its launch was ex-Engadget writers.

Side note about them: Best damn liveblogs in the business, for my money. That's where I'm following today's event.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-09-12, 09:54

MacSurfer's Headline News, to the extent that I seek it out. Most of the time the "important" stuff gets a thread here anyway.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-09-12, 15:43

Thanks for the suggestions, folks... I ended up using Ars again today for parts of the Tim-note. Yah that's right... I said it. Tim-note. Tim may not be Steve but I've decided he's worthy of being called "The Tim" now. Not to be confused with this guy.

Spoiler (click to toggle):