AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Sign in with Apple

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Sign in with Apple
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 14:49

This is something I'm personally very interested in. I've always appreciated the Single Sign-on approach but hate the concept of giving Facebook or Twitter all my usage data.

If Apple is really able to keep things private this will be awesome! It will also make our AppleIDs more valuable, but at least it would help mitigate some security issues. Really it would be a tradeoff, but at least one that is in the end likely to be better for the average user.

The random generated email address is my personal favorite. I use a non-apple email address for my AppleID so I love the idea of not having to give it out to signup for a site. It also means I'd be willing to signup for more sites that I currently refuse to for the reasons of privacy.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-03, 14:52

Yeah, I was laughing with spite for Google and facebook. Those guys are going to see a big down-tick in trackable data, and it's a good thing! I will be using that button anytime I see it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-03, 14:56

A mass market integrated flow for generating e-mail addresses is a big deal.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 15:58

It really is a huge thing. I don't have to give my real data with a sign in like that. The fact that I can disable addresses I no longer want will be massive. Now it will be just a matter of getting developers to put it on their sites and such.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-03, 16:19

If they're getting ad revenue kickback, then they will never add it. If they aren't, you can bet your britches it will start showing up.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-03, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
If they're getting ad revenue kickback, then they will never add it. If they aren't, you can bet your britches it will start showing up.
My understanding is that:
  • to offer Login with Facebook, you need to use their SDK
  • if you use their SDK, there's mandatory tracking on their end
  • …even if people never actually log in with facebook in your app.

I'm not sure about those points, though. If they're all true, then the amount of apps actually offering Sign in with Apple and offering a true privacy benefit won't be large.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-03, 16:30

I'm guessing that Apple may well have some stipulations for "Sign in with Apple", and those will fly in the face of Facebook. Developers may have to pick and, again, I think it will get down to revenue sharing.

If developers are getting paid by Facebook, they are not going to change their model to suit Apple, who will not be paying them for data. If they are not getting paid, then I'm betting most developers are going to switch teams for no other reason than Facebook is icky!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 17:14

Apple's site provides some interesting info on how this will work out. As an exercise I just my build a stupidly simple sight just to allow you to authenticate with your AppleID to see a picture of a turtle. It will be an interesting project for me. Heck, I might even build and app for giggles.

It looks like you only need the developer account for App and not websites. I haven't read much, just sharing this early.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-03, 19:06

Then there's this.

If developers want to use any 3rd-party sign in, they must include Sign in to Apple. I have a feeling that some tracking contracts are about to get interesting.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 19:38

Oooo.... that is awesome. So some developers might drop third party altogether but I just don't see that happen. I see everyone switching to AppleID too. This will be good!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 20:36

So I have built a page but it doesn't seem to be doing much right now. I'm either doing it wrong (highly likely given my coding skills) or it isn't actually ready yet.
https://www.turtle2472.com/an/aid.html

Edit: Yeah, I'm early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Sign In with Apple will be available for beta testing this summer. It will be required as an option for users in apps that support third-party sign-in when it is commercially available later this year.

Last edited by turtle : 2019-06-03 at 20:52.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-05, 16:09

Details continue to emerge. If you want to use Sign in with Apple, Apple asks (not demands, but asks) that you place their button at the top of all possible buttons.

I bet all the others say the same thing.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-06-05, 18:31

That doesn't surprise me. In fact, it sounds a lot like the PayPal requirements/requests they impose on ecommerce partners. The PayPal logo and link (the kind that opens the popup to start their checkout) are supposed to be placed higher or earlier in the process than any other payment gateway info or forms.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.