User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Thanksgiving: Have you punched a relative yet?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Thanksgiving: Have you punched a relative yet?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-24, 15:41

Every year, without fail... *rinnng* "Paul, would you mind running to Food Lion and getting [fill in the blank]."

I did all I could to make sure Mom got everything she needed Friday. And I just texted her about 10 minutes ago to make double sure there was nothing she needs while I'm there. She swears up and down she's got everything.

But, yeah...any other year, I'm over there on Thanksgiving Eve buying a box of this or a can of that (and standing there in line for about 40 minutes).

I wonder if Dollar Tree or even somewhere like Walgreens or CVS might be an easier place to go for something non-food like aluminum foil? Any grocery store is going to be a WWI battlefield.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-24, 17:11

Wow!

Two things:

1) I was in and out in under five minutes. The joint was a zoo (I parked in the next county, basically), but as I was approaching the checkout area, there was, inexplicably, one lane completely empty, even though the others were 3-8 shoppers deep. Maybe she'd just turned on the light and opened her lane? In any case, I was the first/only one there and I was back in the parking lot, hiking to my car, in no time. In theory, I should still be there, standing behind about nine other people, which was totally what I was braced for/expecting!

2) Speaking of parking lots, some parents need to keep their smaller/tot (under 5?) kids in their control better in these more-crowded-than-usual scenarios. Little 4-5 year olds just darting around, running through the parking lot. Yeah that'll end well. Do I need to point out that in the two near-misses I saw, the parents of both parties were about 10 paces behind the kids, nose deep in their iPhones? It took everything I had to not park and go over and say "listen, screwhead...now is the time you keep them close to you and give the phone a rest for a few minutes...or did you truly not see what just about happened to your kid?! Because I did."

I just rolled my eyes and came home.

Glad to be here again; it was every bit the madhouse I assumed it would be! But I got my good cheap Dr. Peppers and a few other things and I'm all set. I shouldn't have to step foot in anything resembling a grocery store until about next Thursday or Friday. Yay!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-11-24, 19:50

Even though ya’ll got the day wrong again this year, let me say, thanks for each and everyone of you kept safe this past year.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-24, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Even though ya’ll got the day wrong again this year...
CANADA!!!!! ::Khan Fist Shake to Sky::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
... let me say, thanks for each and everyone of you kept safe this past year.
Back at you.

I value this weird internet relic called a message board, and all the souls who cross her boards.

Except Toledoans.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-24, 20:20

I had to run to Walmart. it was not as bad as I expected. I did the Walmart+ 90 day trial yesterday so we were able to scan as we went. When we got to the checkout it was pretty quick. We had to wait in line for about 4 minutes, maybe. The travel time there and back was longer than the time in the store total though. Glad I don't have to go back out again until I feel like it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-24, 20:59

My Mom got all her stuff Friday and I just talked to my Dad and he got his Monday (he loves to cook the big Thanksgiving stuff, and he does make the best, tastiest turkey I've ever had; his turkey is really about the only turkey I eat).

But a lot of people, based on what I saw tonight, like to get everything the day before. Maybe they start cooking tonight and just wanted everything as fresh as possible.

While the joint was a zoo, I do have to hand it to Food Lion for actually calling in extra employees and having a good 7-8 checkout lanes open vs. their normal 1-2. It was crowded and hectic, but it looked like lines were moving and no one line was too long or crazy. That was nice to see. I think they're open until 11pm, so they'll be wrapping up in about two hours and those employees can all go home and drink a beer and soak in a hot bath. They probably had a crazy, non-stop day!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-11-24, 21:23

I always end up in a market the day before thanksgiving, no matter what.

Usually it's just to grab that one spice that we use twice a year that we can't find, but nothing too major.

We've also been doing a vegan thanksgiving the last few years, but since we're not going to be in NYC for thanksgiving this year, it's a little harder to find places that will cater to that. We're just going to be doing sides for the most part, which are honestly the best part anyway...

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-25, 09:18

Slept until 9am for the first time in about 700 years. The day is off to a nice start already… **stretccchhhhhh**

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Let’s all pledge to keep any punching to an absolute minimum this year. The world probably doesn’t need any extra right now.

I just opened Jasper’s can of turkey & giblets Fancy Feast, and he’s chowing down. He doesn’t know what day it is, but he always gets turkey-flavored food today anyway. 🥰🐈‍⬛
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-25, 16:19

Okay...the grocery store spread wasn't all that. The turkey and ham were good, but the sides were pretty lacking. Still, it kept my mom and sister from both doing their yearly "be a slave to the kitchen for 1-2 solid days", so it was worth it to give them a break. Maybe next year, just get the meat from the place and maybe split the side duties amongst the rest of us (I can open a can of green beans like nobody's business).

It was decent, but I just had one plate (unusual). And, for the first time ever, I brought home no leftovers/to-go plate.

Heading to Dad's in about 25 minutes or so, where he's made everything himself, from scratch, so I'll enjoy the food more and bring back an obnoxiously-sized leftover/take-home plate of turkey, ham, sides, pudding, cake, etc. to gnaw on tomorrow. I don't think I wanna get out around any stores/shopping areas tomorrow, for obvious reasons.

It'll all be over in a few hours...I'll be back home by 8ish, in my flannel pants and watching a movie or two.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-11-25, 22:27

We spent the day down at our rental property we bought a few months ago and just did some more work. Installed 5 wired Nest Smoke Alarms, a Nest Thermostat, and a Nest Floodlight. Going all in on Nest for this property.

Give us just some time to be together as our little family and avoid the rest of the family, who have basically decided that Covid doesn't exist any longer, so we're just keeping some distance for a while still.

Still made up a bunch of side dishes and a small turkey breast that wasn't even touched. I'll eat that for leftovers for a few days.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-26, 01:43

Big day at an Aunt's annual family gathering. After lunch everyone sat around talking. At 3pm we headed out to walk the bounds of the property. Found the disarticulated remains of a deer. On the way home the rear tire on the driver's side ran flat at speed. I managed to cross over to the emergency lane then cross over into a lesser traveled adjacent lane for a cloverleaf entrance ramp so I could safely put on the spare donut tire. Was super thankful to make it home.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-26, 03:06

Yikes. Scary feeling, huh? Could you tell what happened? Run over a nail or something?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-26 at 10:00. Reason: Changed “mail” to “nail” because this phone is a willful bastard-and-a-half
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-26, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Yikes. Scary feeling, huh? Could you tell what happened? Run over a mail or something?
Once I realized that it was OUR car making the noise the situation became serious. I can't remember how I crossed all those lanes to pull off the interstate. I never really got hit with a wave of adrenaline though, which surprises me looking back on it because I'm not an action hero.

Here's the ironic part: I had just reached down to turn on a wireless Bluetooth speaker sitting in the console, and told Siri to play a song that has been a slight ear worm for the past few days. That song? "I Will Survive" sung by Gloria Gaynor.

Edit: I'm going to go look at the tire again now, in the light of day. Might have been a nail. Probably not an envelope though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-26, 09:59

Damn this phone and its spelling “help”!

Yes, NAIL. Grrr.
¡Damned!

2021-11-26, 19:37

We did something a lot out of the ordinary for us... we ordered pickup.

I wasn't a part of the deciding committee even though I do 90% of the cooking every Thanksgiving, but the people that run things (read: Anna & her mother) just went with it. I only had to make a tray of swiss green beans for the mushroom-averse and some vegetarian stuffing* for the non-meat eaters. The whole pickup kit was actually pretty good (Schuler’s in Marshall, for anyone who knows MI), but it wasn't the same as a home-cooked meal. The arguing in the kitchen and the post-meal cleanup may have been alleviated somewhat, but came at the expense of our traditional, classic family recipes being enjoyed. If I have a vote next year I'll vote for from-scratch.

*or, dressing, I guess? It's not really stuffing unless it's stuffed into the bird now is it?

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-26, 20:04

Yeah, the store-bought stuff definitely changed things...the actual flavors we all know/expect, but also, as you say, the whole "being in the kitchen" and all that goes with it. I'm not usually part of that anyway (I help carry stuff, or load/transport from one house to another), but I think, after this one year off, Mom and my sister will probably go back to the regular way next years as well. It's just better/tastier.

No store is going to top the way one's mom has made mashed potatoes for 50+ years (skin-on, perfect chunkiness/texture, etc.), and all the other stuff too. But the ham and turkey were pretty good, to my surprise. We did do Cracker Barrel 2-3 years ago, but when they tried to do it this year, they could never get a human on the phone to take the order, after several attempts. So they went with Food City (Southeastern - TN/GA/AL/KY/VA - grocery chain) who'd been advertising their big meals (feeds 8-10, which was what we had). After this crazy year, with some family stuff/illness, I think everyone enjoyed the lower-key, hassle-free take this year. Maybe next year will feel "normal" again (I said that last year, didn't I?) and they'll feel like the big homemade, from-scratch thing again after a year off.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-30, 15:40

We left town Wednesday evening and drove to McCall, Idaho where we rented a nice house for the weekend. The weather was nice and the food brilliant! Went to Salmon River Brewing for fresh Buzz Buzz Coffee Porter and fish & chips when we got into town. Cooked the whole nine yards for Thanksgiving dinner, had lots of pie and beer and whiskey, took a couple nice walks in the chilly mountain air, and had an amazing breakfast at the Shore Lodge on the way out of town.

Just four of us, and it was awesome.

I no longer enjoy the "big family" Thanksgiving. It was one thing when the Republicrats just barked at each other across the table, but the last few years no one seems to be able to shut up about politics. I spent 4 days with my daughter, my wife, and my mom, and politics never got discussed. Second time we've done it (also last year). Now, the wife wants the "big family" next year, but I want the mountain retreat. The daughter also would rather not with the big fest, so maybe her and I go to the mountains? Is that acceptable?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-30, 16:10

It was all that happened at my sister's. And it's the reason I left 90-120 minutes earlier than everyone else did too. I can't/won't do it. I don't give a shit what you believe...even if I happen to agree with it, just try to STFU about it for one measly day, please?

It's so damn awkward, all those silences and looks on faces when you can see people wanting to really square off and go at it.

There's a time and place, and sitting around the table, trying to eat, ain't it. I got so disheartened last Thursday...

I tried to talk about movies, cars, iPhones, Disney+, pets, the new housing development going up down the road, etc. Nothing took. Everyone just wanted to talk/bark about Biden, Rittenhouse, AOC, guns, COVID, vaxing, not vaxing, this group "matters", this one doesn't, etc.

"I'm outta here, it's been a hoot."

I will forever be the black sheep on this bunch. But I've got 35+ years of practice, so what do I care.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-30 at 16:24.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-30, 16:20

You have the advantage of being single. I have a wife and daughter who want to spend time with family. I do also, I just get burnt out with the [insert your favorite political hot-topic here] nonsense.

We played games, we talked about the weather, we talked about where the girls wanted to go on Friday, we talked about breakfast, etc. We did not talk about Biden or Rittenhouse or COVID. Had we stayed in Boise, those topics would have been unceasing. And, yeah, just because I agree or disagree with the topic at hand doesn't mean I want to talk about it incessantly.

I'd rather watch someone pour cold honey into a scalding pan!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-01, 08:35

This year I had one of the best Thanksgiving family meals in a long time. My Uncle and Aunt came in town (they live only an hour away) and hung out and ate with us. They were always on the "outside" of our family because my dad hates my uncle (brothers) and my uncle assumed I sided with my dad so he never pursued a relationship. So they came over and it was great time!

My family is big by itself, add my mom, uncle and aunt and it was a full house. I took Monday and Tuesday off also we we could just relax as a family. We spent time together more than normal since we are running all evening most days of the week. It was awesome. I even avoided most of the internet in an effort to spend less time in "devices" while we were on vacation.

We started putting up our tree Sunday evening and it fell over with a glorious crash and many ornament pieces everywhere. Suddenly I'm the guy who didn't plan for a tree having to pay full price at the store. Finding a tree that was "worthy" and not +$400 at Christmas is no easy task.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-01, 08:48

Saw my mom Sunday and for the first time in several years she’d put up a tree. Just a small 3-footer that she sets on a table in the living room but it looked great, the way she’d decorated, the colors, etc.

I always had a similar little tree I’d put up as well, until a certain black-furred creature moved in four years ago and decided it was his climbing/exercise gym. After coming home for about the fourth time to see it lying in the floor and ornaments everywhere (and being used as soccer balls), I decided I can be tree-less. I just hang a small wreath on the door now.

He is mellowing and losing some of that “kitten energy/curiosity” he had those first couple of years, so I may try again at some point and see how it goes.

“Are you gonna let me put up a tree this year, Sir Edmund Hillary?”
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-12-01, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
He is mellowing and losing some of that “kitten energy/curiosity” he had those first couple of years, so I may try again at some point and see how it goes.

“Are you gonna let me put up a tree this year, Sir Edmund Hillary?”
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-01, 21:42

Did I tell you that we got a new kitten in August?

He's past due on the snip.

A holy terror for the mature spayed cats.

Once we get those hormones dialed back he's going to be the best cat ever.