Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Intel changes strategy

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Intel changes strategy
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
initialsBB

2005-12-30, 07:21

Here's a short piece on Intel at BBC News ... I wonder what this means for Apple ? Is Intel going to become Apple's ONLY partner/supplier for their whole range of new consumer "digital lifestyle" products supposedly hitting the shelves in 2006 ?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-30, 08:10

No, every company puts up some BS like this when they change their logo. They just want to change it because it's really old and it's time for a change, but they have to give a reason so they come up with stuff like that. I doubt it'll have much, if any effect on their dealings with Apple.

Look at UPS. They changed their logo a couple years ago and here's their brief explanation:

Quote:
The energized brand mark reflects the UPS forward focus on its expanded capabilities that help to synchronize commerce around the world.
Has UPS changed even one tiny bit since then? Not really.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-12-30 at 08:15.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-12-30, 08:18

Well, they also changed their motto from "Intel inside" to "leap ahead" So I guess all the sticker speculation in respect to the new Intel-Macs has changed with it. Will Mac users now feel better with a sticker saying "leap ahead" than the old one with was kinda a favourite hate object?

Personally I think they should have kept the old motto. If you can forget your bias it's both catchy and a real classic in computer history. Companies like Intel should cherish their history and stop trying to be hip.

Maybe the new iBook will be named "iBook ahead!" :smokey: Then the PB coul become the "PowerBook LeapDuo"

Or maybe I'm just being silly now...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-30, 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
Or maybe I'm just being silly now...
p'raps that's it?

Last edited by Luca : 2005-12-30 at 09:04.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-12-30, 08:38

Interesting comment here too. Warm words indeed, given that Apple would be a relatively small customer initially. I wonder if their respective multimedia digital hub ambitions will converge at some point in the future.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-30, 10:38

Their new slogan strikes me as amazingly vanilla. Leap Ahead. You'd think they would've taken a page from Steve-o and done something a little more pizazz-tastic.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-30, 10:49

I agree with Moogs. "Leap Ahead" just doesn't have the same charm to it. Like it or not, at least "Intel Inside" had alliteration that made it catchy and actually described the product (albeit vaguely). The first image that came to mind, honestly, when I read "Leap Ahead" was of the "Leap Frog" thing my half-sister got for Christmas.

Somehow, I suspect that's not the picture of computing power Intel's marketing guys want.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-12-30, 11:06

17 years to change the logo and that's what they come up with?

Based on this link:
http://anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=25501

... these are the rest of the logos:
http://tinypic.com/jfchuu.jpg
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-12-30, 11:30

Yeah, interesting thing to note is the new light blue color really matches with Apple's white.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2005-12-30, 11:38

I don't think Apple had anything to do with thoose logo designs

However, they *should* have had.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-30, 14:14

Leap ahead... thats just lame. I really hope Apple doesn't put Intel logos on Macs if that is what is going to be on there. I'd rather have Intel Inside that that, if they where to put stickers on.

Last edited by PB PM : 2005-12-30 at 19:20.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-12-30, 15:05

I'm glad Intel is finally dropping that loathesome "Pentium" name.

One thing that's still bugging me... why would Intel want Apple to stick those gaudy abominations on upcoming Macs anyways? Apple is paying good money for those chips, so why should they be forced to advertise for Intel?

I swear if Apple does stick them on intel Macs, I am going to visit every Apple store within a day's drive and peel them off the display machines... pictures of the act to be posted here.

You ask me for a hamburger.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2005-12-30, 19:22

So, I guess you'd be posting from jail for defacing property. The only reason Apple might, is because Intel gives money to companies that put the sticker on there... Apply is a business, money is money.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-30, 19:38

To be honest I thought the new logo was the old logo when I saw it.

The font is awful. It still looks dated and 70's in styling. The colour is kind of weak, and doesn't really strike you. It never has really....

As others have said 'Leap Ahead' is about as appealing as a dripping sore, and the reason given for changing does not in any way make sense. Intel inside would still be relevant for their 'new market strategy', much more so than 'Leap Ahead'.

I hope that neither logo is on any Mac (even a tiny one hidden out of the way) as I have always been pretty indifferent to any of their corporate images, apart from the (now annoying) Intel theme sound which they used for advertising so effectively....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-12-30, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
One thing that's still bugging me... why would Intel want Apple to stick those gaudy abominations on upcoming Macs anyways? Apple is paying good money for those chips, so why should they be forced to advertise for Intel?
I believe Intel subsidizes companies who use the stickers... part of their advertising/promotion scheme and such. They aren't necessarily forced, but they would certainly lose whatever free money Intel would toss at them for using it.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-12-30, 20:33

Woah... a lot of press for something that would otherwise have gone pretty much unnoticed.

Logo change? Really, I couldn't tell. Oh wait, the e isn't dropped anymore. "Genious!"

"Leap Ahead"? Sounds average, like something that would have come up if you made 20 high school students brainstorm for an hour.

Not that these were horrible changes. They're completely trivial if you ask me. More intesting is the ferver that it has generated. Must be that apple hasn't done anything lately and the press is getting bored.
Electric Monk

2005-12-30, 21:11

The slogan reminds of China's Great Leap Forward program. You know, build a lot of outdated and useless items to catch up with the rest of the world.

Heh.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-12-30, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Monk
The slogan reminds of China's Great Leap Forward program. You know, build a lot of outdated and useless items to catch up with the rest of the world.

Heh.
shenme?
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-12-31, 04:24

then we'll get a marketing effort called the Processor Revolution to mirror the Cultural Revolution
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-01-04, 10:42

I don't think it's a bad move to change the pay-off. And it's certainly not meaningless.

"Intel Inside" really was meaningless, except that it suggested that Intel was good enough to just mention.

Today, AMD seems to have just as good a reputation, if not better, so Intel simply couldn't get away with the pay-off they had.

Therefore, I do believe that Intel is actively postioning itself as what distinguishes them from their competitor, namely being more of an innovator, pioneer, maker of cutting edge materials.

It also fits the interpretation that Intel is wants to move beyond PC-chips at last. In that case, they have no choice but moving to a pay-off that wouldn't only work on PC cases.
xyzzy

2006-01-04, 10:57

A couple of notes:

1. I don't think carrying a logo is so much of a "free advertising" move, so much as it is a branding. This is similar to premium stereo systems in autos, etc. If this is being perceived as a positive new alliance (and I certainly hope it is), then Apple may be proudly displaying the Intel logo on the boxes and maybe even the actual units.

2. It shouldn't matter much anyway. I have yet to see a hard attached Intel logo on a machine. They always seem to be stickers of various forms. If you don't like it, just peel it off. I do this for all of the notebooks I get (and also the Windows sticker next to it) because they always seem to put them right on the palm rests and it's sort of annoying.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-01-04, 16:32

A few observations:

The stickers do peel off easily, but in DELL's case, they sometimes design the case with a specific spot for the stickers in mind. Remove the stickers, and it looks like something is missing. I don't see Apple doing that, so if it makes a Mac more affordable to have some easy to peel off sticker on the front, then go ahead.

I think Intel should have went with something simpler, with just an "I" and the swirl - kind of like "The Incredibles" logo.

It's hard to match the simplicity of Apples logo without renaming the company to something that can be represented by an object, as opposed to letters or words. In other words, you cant make a picture of an "Intel" like you can an Apple. A simple graphic will always be cleaner than text, and as far as images go, it's hard to be any more "balanced" than something that is essentially round like the apple.
xyzzy

2006-01-04, 16:40

Hmm.. If you look at the new Intel logo, keep the blue badging at the bottom, but replace the wite part with the Apple logo (essentially turning the bottom curve into the bottom of the apple, it might work. But then again, having an apple with the word "Core" right below it brings up the whole Apple Core thing and might be a bit silly. lol
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2006-01-04, 17:16

It would be a good marketing gimmic though. "Intel CPU now at the core of Apple computers."
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-04, 22:36

Yeah...that just struck me...Apple...Core...muahahaha...

...ahem.

Intel's new logo is okay, but I do like their new "brand." I'm glad they got rid of Pentium and especially Celeron. And "Core" sounds good. I couldn't see a "Powerbook Pentium," but a "Powerbook Core" sounds badass.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2006-01-04, 23:06

Powerbook Core... you're kidding right?
xyzzy

2006-01-04, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
...but a "Powerbook Core" sounds badass.
...and for the Power Mac replacement (ultimately), shorten it down to "PowerCore". I like the sound of that!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-04, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
Powerbook Core... you're kidding right?
I doubt Apple will call it that, but it doesn't sound half bad.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2006-01-04, 23:18

I hope not, considering how dumb it sounds. I mean saying, "Intel CPUs at the core of Apple computers" is one thing, but calling them Powerbook Core? No, I don't think so for one minute. I'm sure Apple will come up with something far more interesting than that.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-04, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy
...and for the Power Mac replacement (ultimately), shorten it down to "PowerCore". I like the sound of that!
Well, I doubt Apple will pull "Mac" out of the name of the Power Mac, and I doubt the Power Mac will use the Core processor, but it's not a bad name in itself...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong