User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Big help need it

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Big help need it
jcampa

2006-10-21, 20:03

Hi, I'm trying to install a bigger Boot Camp partition in my HD (OSX 10.4.8), but when trying, a message that my HD needs repair with Disk Utility appears, I run Disk Utility, but it stops with this error message:

The underlying task reported failure on exit. First Aid failed.

And I cannot run Disk Utility anymore, what should I do? I tried reinstalling the software, but it says it can't, that there were an error during installation too.

I'll appreciate your help guys.

Thanks.
GladToBeHere

2006-10-21, 20:17

Try running disk utility from the OS X install dvd. Boot the computer with the disc in it and hold the C button-- but I think the install disc opens automatically...
jcampa

2006-10-21, 20:51

Thanks Glad, but theres where it appears the second error, I canĀ“t reinstall from the DVD.
jcampa

2006-10-22, 03:25

Any recomendation?
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-10-22, 04:03

Perhaps I'm misreading the posts above, but I think GladToBeHere is referring to starting Disk Utility from the installation disc, not the hard drive--in other words, don't use the Disk Utility that is installed on your hard drive to inspect the hard drive.

"Virtually bursting with adequatulence."
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-10-22, 04:05

If you look in the FAQ thread at the top of this forum, there are details in there on how to boot into single user mode and run fsck from there. Should have a better chance of fixing problems, and you don't need to boot off the install disk to do it.

Quote:
To repair your primary "bootable" system hard drive, you must boot into single-user mode (hold the apple and 's' keys while rebooting). At the command prompt, enter the command:

/sbin/fsck -fy

This will force FSCK (FileSystem ChecK) to run and automatically repair any errors it encounters. When completed, if you see the message that your filesystem was modified, run the command again. Repeat until you receive a message that says your volume "appears to be OK." When complete, enter the command:

reboot

As an alternative to using the commands in single-user mode (ie. for the terminal-phobic), you can reboot from your Mac OS X Install CD/DVD and choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. Then, you can use the earlier instructions to repair any hard drive including your system's boot drive.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me