AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Suite of iMac G3 startup woes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Suite of iMac G3 startup woes
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-11-02, 09:34

Just curious to see if anyone else has encountered this scenario...

About two years ago, I started getting kernal panics during startups after extended periods of accessing a network through ethernet (running OS 9.1). Hitting the reset button either caused a black screen with three warning chimes (50% of the time), open firmware (20% of the time), freezing during startup (20%), and a clean restart (10%). I would let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and it started up fine. I checked and made sure that all firmware and software updates were installed, and ran the hardware test cd. While running the tests (5x) I got a Firewire error (1x) and Ethernet error (4x) during the testing of the logic board.

Now skip ahead to the present, with the same startup issues after extended periods using ethernet only. I can access the internet using the modem and work all night long when not connected to a network without a single issue during the next restart. I finally upgraded to OS 10.2 last spring, but still had the same startup issues. Ran hardware tests again, and this time there are no errors.

The startup issues only come after extensive periods of ethernet use. The only thing I can think of that can be related is that I had the wall jack replaced after I found out it was miswired (not properly grounded) (after I started having issues, of course).

The hardware tests show nothing is wrong, everything is up to date, and it is related only to ethernet use... Strange huh...?

Oh yes, the latest trick is for it to reboot into default catch error=300... just for fun probably...

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-11-02, 16:39

Sounds like what happened to my Powerbook G3... logic board is slowly dieing. First your L2 Cache will die, then well... your machine wont run very well for anything but web surfing.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-11-02, 16:57

That's what I figured... it's on the way out as my main machine anyways... soon will be relegated to jukebox duty...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-11-02, 20:33

With issues like that it wont be doing much of anything soon, let alone be a jukebox.