AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Wi-Fi woes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wi-Fi woes
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-01, 08:46

Well according to the version.plist file, it did update. The version and build are higher than in my backup, so it should be the new file. I also would expect update to tell me if there was a problem. Anyway, I'll be watching this and report back later
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-08-01, 14:16

In Software Update now: AirPort Extreme Update 2007-004

Quote:
This update is recommended for all Intel-based MacBook, MacBookPro, and Mac mini computers and improves the reliability of AirPort connections.
Praise the pasta!
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-02, 07:13

After a day with the update, I can report that nothing has changed for me. It's still dropping the connection when on battery, and I haven't noticed any other changes in behavior. 10.4.11 is reportedly going to come out soon, so hopefully that will finally do it.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-08-02, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
After a day with the update, I can report that nothing has changed for me. It's still dropping the connection when on battery, and I haven't noticed any other changes in behavior. 10.4.11 is reportedly going to come out soon, so hopefully that will finally do it.
I tested for 3 full hours on battery and haven't dropped connection once. The update appears to have worked for me. What Mac do you have ghoti, just out of interest? Still the 12" PB as noted in your user profile?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-02, 11:11

I would hope not. The AirPort update was only for Intel-based Macs.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-08-02, 11:12

No That patch wouldn't have applied, and my trusty PB never drops a connection (it only sees half of them, though)! This is a brand-new MacBook, a little over a week old now. I'm going to update my profile
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2007-08-02, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
No That patch wouldn't have applied, and my trusty PB never drops a connection (it only sees half of them, though)! This is a brand-new MacBook, a little over a week old now. I'm going to update my profile
I thought that. heh. The update did say it was for Intel notebooks and the Intel Mac Mini only.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-23, 07:17

Waaaaaaaaahh!

It's driving me crazy. Has the update solved this problem for anybody? My MB sometimes drops the connection every three minutes! Where is 10.4.11? Where is Leopard? Where is 11.9?

Waaaaaaaaahh!

Last edited by ghoti : 2007-10-23 at 07:18. Reason: added another Waaaaaaaaahh! for dramatic effect
veryamusing

2007-12-31, 17:18

Firstly, please excuse the *bump.*

I'm on a 15" PowerBook G4 (1.67 GHz) running Mac OS X 10.5.1 with 1GB of RAM. It had shut down last night because it had run out of battery, and so I plugged it in and charged it overnight, which is not unusual for me. This morning when I awoke I unplugged it; and when I returned home at noon for lunch I powered it on. It powered on as usual, but a message came up telling me that the time and date were before 2001 and may cause the computer to operate erratically. I have iCal set to launch on login, and it too prompted me to open System Preferences and go to Time & Date, which I did (I like it to set the date & time automatically from "Apple Americas"). Regardless, neither the time nor the date were set. I was also prompted to choose from two wireless networks (one is mine) and input the respective password, which I did, and Airport looked to be connected and showed four bars of reception.

However, I then realized that I was not, in fact, connected to the Internet as I should have been. I have a Belkin router (F5D7231-4) set up next to our 20" iMac. The iMac is plugged in, but I connect wirelessly. The iMac was functioning normally and able to load sites (for good measure I restarted the cable modem and router, and was still unable to connect wirelessly). I also tried unplugging the iMac and plugging the PowerBook into the router directly, again to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/try next? I'm posting now from a 2.0 GHz C2D black MacBook running Mac OS X 10.4.11 with 1 GB of RAM (that I bought yesterday!). This notebook is connected wirelessly to the network and is performing flawlessly. I wouldn't mind continuing to use it except that the LCD is cracked good. Thanks for your help!
veryamusing

2008-01-02, 18:19

Any takers? The PowerBook is still showing that it is connected to my wireless network but the clock is still wrong and Safari says, "You are not connected to the Internet."

Even general troubleshooting would be much appreciated. Thank you!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-01-02, 18:34

This will sound stupid, but what happens if you manually correct the date/time?

Then reboot the machine, and try reconnecting to your wireless router.
veryamusing

2008-01-02, 22:28

Genius indeed! That worked, and I'm much obliged.

Thank you!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-01-03, 00:25

Yeah, don't ask me why a bad date does that, but it seriously pisses things off.

Of course, since the date/time is set to automatic in the preferences, and the bad date means you can't connect to the wireless router, it's unable to update itself and get the correct info from the time server.

Lame chicken/egg problem.

Fix the date manually and all is well, and you're able to set the date/time back to auto update.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-01-03, 00:31

My guess? The date/time is getting reset to Jan 1970, and that's causing the hiccup. If the date gets *completely* reset, such as the mobo battery being dead *and* power being lost through AC and battery both, then this decades-long mismatch causes Weird Things(tm) to happen.

If it were off by, say, a day or so, I doubt it would cause this issue.

I'd check the mobo battery if I were you, or the next time your battery goes dead, this will happen again.