Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

New iMac email woes!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New iMac email woes!
JamesG

2004-11-15, 19:13

Hey Guys!

Just took delivery of my 20 inch Imac and it is sweeter than I thought! Only problem is, I can receive email but I can't send it. The tech guy at my isp provider said that it's because their server does not support Mac mail. He suggested that I go to the Microsoft website and download outlook express, as this is what their server will authenticate. I tried this, only to find that Microsoft does not have an OS X outlook version!

Yikes! What should I do?

Thanks,
James.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-11-15, 19:33

A couple of things....

1) I think your ISP is feeding you a line of ignorant bullshit. You just need to find Mail's settings to authenticate when logging on... last I checked it was a universal standard and not really a proprietary Microsoft one. I don't use Mail, but I'm sure it supports it.

2) Outlook for the Mac is called Entourage. It's a part of Office 2004 or you can buy it separately. This is the software I use because it combines calendar, contacts, email, and a project manager that integrates with my boss's windows box.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-15, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
The tech guy at my isp provider said that it's because their server does not support Mac mail.
BULLSHIT ALARM! AAOOOGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
He suggested that I go to the Microsoft website and download outlook express
IDIOT ALARM! WOOP WOOP WOOP!

Ask him what the address for the SMTP server is, if it's on a custom port (ie. not 25), and if it uses SSL. That should be all you need. If he tries to pass off some weak excuse about Apple simply not working, ask why or ask for his name and demand to speak to a better-informed support representative.

These folks are reading from scripts and usually can't put 2 and 2 together. If the script doesn't mention Apple, they just assume you aren't supported.

Unless your ISP is using an Exchange server (highly unlikely) for everyone's e-mail, Apple's Mail program should have no problems at all once configured properly.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2004-11-15, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
BULLSHIT ALARM! AAOOOGA!

IDIOT ALARM! WOOP WOOP WOOP!

the "I" in ISP doesn't always stand for "Internet"
JamesG

2004-11-15, 20:18

Tried your suggestions and guess what....

It worked! Sniff... sniff.... where would I be without you guys.

Thanks!
James