User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 46 of 68 First Previous 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50  Next Last Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-02-19, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
Did you try the diesel version? I haven't seen a single one around here. I assume they want a small fortune for the option.

Nice choice on your part. The GC is really a good looking SUV. I'm seeing a lot of the regular Cherokees around but I'm not sure about that one.
I actually got interested in the JGC because of the diesel version but they kept pushing back the release date further and further back. The option is about $2k more than the V8.

The Cherokee is ass-ugly, IMHO. The Grand Cherokee is sharp.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-02-19, 14:59

And the 2014 version isn't as prone to falling over as the previous ones...
Quagmire
meh

2014-03-27, 22:52

Washed the ATS last weekend parked it near my dads old BMW( waiting to be picked up by my brother). The ATS looks much better compared to the E90.

giggity
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-03-28, 22:03

The E90 looks its age on the exterior., but the ATS interior is typical of most GM products. Too contrasty/shiny, too much fake chrome, HERE LOOK AT THE STITCHING, let's try to make our air vents look cool, etc.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-03, 17:53

The new Mazda MX-5/Miata will be unveiled live on YouTube in an hour and forty minutes. Right here. The MX-5 has long intrigued me, and I have to say I’m looking forward to seeing what Mazda and Fiat have done with it this time – and I’m bound to be surprised because I’ve paid no attention to car rumours lately.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-03, 19:05

I think the Miata rollout commences phase 2 of Mazda: The Biggening.

The Skyactiv-fied 3, 6, and CX-5 have gotten huge amounts of great press, are selling well (not Toyota numbers by any means, but really good for Mazda).

If the new Miata satisfies the market, they'll have an up-to-date yet still iconic reliable roadster bringing bodies into the showroom, and most people think a renewed Mazdaspeed stable is right around the corner.

Now they just need to option their slick shifting manual on 2.5 engines and they'll have a very nice enthusiasts range of offerings-- might pick up some people who have been burned by VW cost of ownership looking for a driver's car with decent amenities and reliabiltiy.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-09-03, 21:05

I am not a big car fanatic. A car is a utilitarian thing for me - something that is required because of the way we currently organize our transportation choices, especially in North America. We currently have an ageing Subaru Legacy Station Wagon as our only vehicle. It is a nice car, but is not exactly a premium automobile. And I never thought I would even consider a luxury car, but I was inspired today by a review I saw of a very particular luxury car.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...302274/?page=1

A reviewer drove the the Tesla Model S from San Diego to Vancouver essentially to answer the question whether, in the Tesla, the electric car is an idea that has finally come to be a reality. His answer is basically "yes". Needless to say, the drive went considerably better than the drive from D.C. to Boston detailed in Broder's article for the NYT, as discussed earlier in this thread.

I confess that I have not earlier paid much attention to Tesla, beyond reading some of the controversy surrounding the Broder article, and getting the feeling that it was a something of a hack job. Even at that though I was not convinced that the Tesla was much more than a toy. The article I attached above has inspired me to do a bit more reading, and I am convinced that Tesla is for real: that in them, the electric car actually has a practical future and that this practical future is not some ever moving goalpost that is always 10-20 years away, but is now. The now, admittedly, is a somewhat limited now, because the Model S is very much a luxury, at $65,000 (Canadian) for the base model and going upwards steeply from there. But that is not out of the price range of other top-end luxury cars, and the Tesla competes very well within that class. The Model S version of the electric car still has some drawbacks, but it also has some clear advantages over internal combustion. With the ongoing development of the technology, including rapid charging stations which are now being put in place, the balances of drawbacks/advantages are now starting to tip to make the Tesla a practical choice for some car owners. And I am convinced that Tesla has some considerable developmental force behind it. This thing is going to roll forward....

We will likely be in the market for a new car next year. I may give some serious consideration to the Model X, the new version to be released in Fall 2015. I have looked over the driving range projections, and it seems to be sufficient for about 95% of our driving. And there is already a Tesla rapid charge station in place in the middle of the route to our one regular driving destination that would take the car outside of its range on a return trip. For other situations, where the range will not be sufficient - which will be quite rare (especially if more charging stations come on line)- I would be willing to rent a regular vehicle. I already have to rent on some weekends due to competing demands on our car. And the Model X looks like it may be more reasonably priced that the Model S. It is likely still to be a luxury, but I may just splurge on a car, for one time in my life. A Tesla may have my name on it.

Now if only Apple would buy Tesla and invest some its considerable cash reserves in it, the technology might develop even faster.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2014-09-03 at 21:48.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-09-04, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I think the Miata rollout commences phase 2 of Mazda: The Biggening.

The Skyactiv-fied 3, 6, and CX-5 have gotten huge amounts of great press, are selling well (not Toyota numbers by any means, but really good for Mazda).
Agreed. Mazda has done a wonderful job since getting away from Ford. The fuel economy on the newer cars is great. I'm a VW TDI guy but I probably won't be buying another one as the total cost of ownership has gone up on the newer ones. I'll probably be considering the 6. My only issue is our family is in need of a little cargo space and I doubt they'll bring back the wagon version. They just want you to buy a CX-5.

I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for a three pedal option on the bigger engines though. We should just be happy it's available at all!
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-04, 17:29

Quote:
Agreed. Mazda has done a wonderful job since getting away from Ford. The fuel economy on the newer cars is great. I'm a VW TDI guy but I probably won't be buying another one as the total cost of ownership has gone up on the newer ones. I'll probably be considering the 6. My only issue is our family is in need of a little cargo space and I doubt they'll bring back the wagon version. They just want you to buy a CX-5.

I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for a three pedal option on the bigger engines though. We should just be happy it's available at all!
I had a Jetta Wagon with the 1.8T and a 5 speed manual. It was a blast to drive, got good gas mileage, and was immanently practical. It also cost me a shit load of money over about 90k miles, and finally just sort of imploded (would have been in the neighborhood of $8,000 to put it right).

So I started looking around for a more reliable, fun to drive wagon (I genuinely need the space for the work I do)--nada. Well, nada unless I was willing to pony up Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, or Volvo money. Yeah, Subaru, but they've gone over to these CVT whiners and I don't really dig the interiors.

So I ended up with a CX-5. 34mpg on the highway, I'm getting around 29 with 60% city driving, tons of room, surprisingly fun to drive. I mean, it's a CUV so it's no go-cart, but way more toss-able than it has any right to be. I guess I'm a Mazda guy now? I wouldn't really count myself an enthusiast, but I like to drive with some intent.

If Mazda would bring over the 6 wagon with their excellent MT I would trade this thing in a heartbeat and take the loss. If the MQB Sportwagens prove to be reasonably reliable without any of the $5,000 at one go VW surprises I'll look at that in a few years. In the meantime, I'm really rooting for Mazda because I want to have access to cars that are fun, cheap and reliable.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-09-04, 20:03

I think that car companies selling in North America have a "gentleman's agreement" not to offer wagons so that they each can charge more as they get people into bloated, heavy, boxy, ponderous *UVs.

addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-04, 20:32

Eh, the CX-5 is just a taller 3. It's hardly bloated or heavy, and certainly not remotley ponderous Yeah, boxy, so the center of gravity is higher and there's a bit of body roll, but the newer CUVs (which is the segment that is exploding) are generally just tall hatches.

They sell them because wagons didn't sell that well. People seem to prefer the higher driving position and higher cargo deck, especially when they can get it in a car with good gas mileage and reasonable sprightly performance.

Really, the current generation of CUVs have nothing to do with the truck based SUVs that are the basis of the bloated thing.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-04, 20:38

They didn't ruin the Miata! <3 <3

I'm very interested to see Fiat's take. Especially if they make an Abarth version...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-09-04, 22:09

Quote:
Eh, the CX-5 is just a taller 3. It's hardly bloated or heavy, and certainly not remotley ponderous Yeah, boxy, so the center of gravity is higher and there's a bit of body roll, but the newer CUVs (which is the segment that is exploding) are generally just tall hatches.

They sell them because wagons didn't sell that well. People seem to prefer the higher driving position and higher cargo deck, especially when they can get it in a car with good gas mileage and reasonable sprightly performance.

Really, the current generation of CUVs have nothing to do with the truck based SUVs that are the basis of the bloated thing.
CUVs: I've rented them - I've driven them. They are better than the 'traditional' SUVs (although they still sell plenty of those), but still ponderous compared with a well-handling car. The centre of gravity is just too high. Why an higher driving position and a higher cargo deck would be seen as advantages, rather than the disadvantages that they generally are for most drivers and most situations is beyond me. Why would you want a vehicle that handles more poorly and is harder to load? For all the off-roading the people do in *UVs? And they generally look ugly, compared with the sporty look of many wagons. I know that I am fighting a battle that was lost in North America 20 years ago, but I must admit that why it was lost still leaves me scratching my head. You might just say "consumer preference", but preferences can be shaped, and it is convenient that they were shaped to suit the automobile manufacturers.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2014-09-04, 22:17

Hey now! I love my Jeep SUV!

But unlike so many, I actually use it for stuff a standard passenger car isn't good for.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-04, 22:46

I don't use my CUV for anything a standard passenger car wouldn't be good for. #partoftheproblem

Well, trips to IKEA I guess. Like 1% of the time I enjoy the spaciousness vs. a sedan (and I'm an American, so lol what's a wagon?)

But seriously it's a Saturn Vue. Ain't nobody goin' off-roading in a Saturn Vue.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-04, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
CUVs: I've rented them - I've driven them. They are better than the 'traditional' SUVs (although they still sell plenty of those), but still ponderous compared with a well-handling car. The centre of gravity is just too high. Why an higher driving position and a higher cargo deck would be seen as advantages, rather than the disadvantages that they generally are for most drivers and most situations is beyond me. Why would you want a vehicle that handles more poorly and is harder to load? For all the off-roading the people do in *UVs? And they generally look ugly, compared with the sporty look of many wagons. I know that I am fighting a battle that was lost in North America 20 years ago, but I must admit that why it was lost still leaves me scratching my head. You might just say "consumer preference", but preferences can be shaped, and it is convenient that they were shaped to suit the automobile manufacturers.
Yeah, but have you driven the CX-5? It actually handles better than some sedans I've driven. The steering is light and precise, the suspension is well composed, and there's genuine road feel. No, it's not a Miata, but it's not a boat by any stretch of the imagination. And I didn't pay some kind of huge premium over a comparable sedan, nor am I paying much a mpg penalty. Any car is a bunch of tradeoffs, this one trades off cargo space for race car. I need the cargo space more.

For me, cargo is more convenient than my old Jetta wagon-- it's not like the higher deck is miles higher, and that plus the higher hatch opening and roofline means I can look directly into where I'm organizing things, instead of sort of crouching to put and take stuff out of a low tunnel. I've got the 2WD version because a) Mazda's version of "all wheel drive" is sort of half assed, and b) I don't intend to take it anywhere more challenging than the kind of trails that get you to campsites.

If I didn't need the cargo space, or if someone would sell me a cheap, reliable and fun station wagon (or for that matter if they'd start making properly small trucks again with modern technology), I probably wouldn't be driving this, but I had to make do with what was actually on the market.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-04, 23:21

Quote:
And I didn't pay some kind of huge premium over a comparable sedan, nor am I paying much a mpg penalty.
Yeah, it seems as if the MPG penalty has really shrunk in recent years. I went window shopping for a replacement for my Vue, and I've always dug Nissan's quirky asymmetrical Cube hatchback...but I found myself more impressed with their Juke CUV, which is larger, has a beefier engine, and gets better MPG than the Cube. (Nissan claims "the Juke's slick center console takes styling cues from the radical lines of Italian sport bikes," which I didn't really see, but it probably didn't hurt.) Part of this is probably due to the Cube's boxiness (which is why it bests the longer/wider/coupe-ier Juke for cargo space), but I imagine it's also due to the Juke being a more expensive vehicle that can be equipped with a turbocharger, &c.

Anyway, my point is, the days of "CUV = gas-guzzling monster" are increasingly behind us. Obviously dragging around extra weight will never be efficient, but automakers seem to grok that gas mileage is top of mind for many buyers these days, and modern technology is allowing car-based CUVs to be almost as MPG-friendly as their equally bloated sedan counterparts.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-04, 23:28

According to car people I'm supposed to despise the Juke as a crime against nature, but I sort of dig it (although the interior is way too club kid for me). And, WTF, a Juke NISMO? That's ridiculous and hilarious and I bet it's fun as hell.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-04, 23:44

Quote:
According to car people I'm supposed to despise the Juke as a crime against nature, but I sort of dig it (although the interior is way too club kid for me). And, WTF, a Juke NISMO? That's ridiculous and hilarious and I bet it's fun as hell.
Actually it seems to me that a lot of people on Jalopnik and the like seem to dig the Juke. Initial reactions were polarizing (because I mean look at it) but it seems to have grown on a lot of people. They were all sad when it was rumored to be redesigned and they even pleaded with Nissan to "keep it weird." (Which they did.)

I thought it was a fun spin. Not quite the most fun I've had on four wheels (that would be the Abarth 500), but definitely livable.

I haven't bought anything yet, though. I'm waiting — the Jeep Renegade has me curious. I never thought I'd say that, but Jeep's been sort of kicking ass lately. But I suspect that would be sort of over-buying for my needs, since I'm allergic to the great outdoors.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2014-09-05, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Actually it seems to me that a lot of people on Jalopnik and the like seem to dig the Juke. Initial reactions were polarizing (because I mean look at it) but it seems to have grown on a lot of people. They were all sad when it was rumored to be redesigned and they even pleaded with Nissan to "keep it weird." (Which they did.)

I thought it was a fun spin. Not quite the most fun I've had on four wheels (that would be the Abarth 500), but definitely livable.

I haven't bought anything yet, though. I'm waiting — the Jeep Renegade has me curious. I never thought I'd say that, but Jeep's been sort of kicking ass lately. But I suspect that would be sort of over-buying for my needs, since I'm allergic to the great outdoors.
I've been very happy with my Jeep. I know I've said this before, but it's the first car I've had since my 1995 Pathfinder that I really love. My VW TDI was great but a little small. My BMW was super fun to drive, but completely impractical. This car - it fits me very well. Can be dressy or workman-like.

A little like me.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-05, 08:37

Speaking of weird and wonderful, Mazda finally took the wraps of the next next generation Miata, or MX-5. I'm still not sure about the new design. The front fascia may be a little too contemporary. The existing model manages to look Japanese in a good way: just little a different, but nicely built, without following the me too trend of aggressive grills and character lines. Not due until 2016, there's probably still some time to refine the surfaces...

It'll probably still be too small for normal sized humans, every one so far has been, which is a shame, but I'm still hopeful they'll find a way to accommodate taller drivers.

I wonder what the Alfa-Romeo version of this car will look like?

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-05, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Speaking of weird and wonderful, Mazda finally took the wraps of the next next generation Miata, or MX-5. I'm still not sure about the new design.
Robo likes it (see above). I’m not sure. Still digesting it. Maybe it’ll grow on me. I’m never going to like the interior: it’s indefensibly cluttered. But the outside looks pretty reasonable in an up-to-the-minute way – complex shapes that are hard to pin down, but several appealing lines, crisp details, a muscular stance, and that aggressive front. The lights are a bit unusual (front and rear) but not necessarily out of synch with the rest of the design.

However, this is a lightweight (now even lighter!) sports car. Should it look like it weighs two tons? I’m pretty sure I would have preferred a nimbler, lighter-looking stance with less aggression. The aggression is better suited to this car than the family saloons it ruins these days, but it’s still not ideal in a 130-horsepower car. I’m a bit tired of cars that look like they’re trying so hard.

One thing I loved about earlier MX-5s was their boat-like shape, with the nose curving up from below like classic roadsters. That’s all gone here, possibly because it’s aerodynamic suicide to scoop air under the car. (And probably also because that looks dated, and this ND model is anything but retro or classic.)

I’ve had a glance around the web, and the new design is mostly well received, with many people going so far as to say they love it. I’m sure it’ll sell better than the NC.

If this wasn’t called an MX-5 I’d be less critical. But does it have enough MX-5 heritage? You wouldn’t catch Porsche making changes this big to the 911, that’s for sure.

Anyway, I think it’s fantastic they’ve cut the weight, shortened it, and lowered it. Tall or fat people have so much choice in cars these days; it’s people who don’t want an enormous car that are underserved. So I’m pleased the MX-5 is still small, and in fact a bit smaller than the NC model.

By the way, I looked at owner reviews of the NC on the Mazda UK site. People complain about the weirdest things! The interior light doesn’t have a delay timer so goes off immediately when the door is closed; boot is too small; no auto wipers and lights (“really should be standard on all cars” ); missing Bluetooth; missing standalone clock; missing USB port; bad sound system; missing electric folding mirrors; it goes on and on. Hardly anyone talks about anything worth talking about (e.g. suspension behaviour, NVH, material choices, etc.) or voices concern about complexity or feature bloat.

(The other recurring complaint is fuel economy, with which I agree completely. It’s why I wouldn’t buy an old MX-5.)

Against this kind of feedback you can see why cars, even supposedly pure drivers’ cars, get turned into indefinable mush over a few model generations. On www.miata.net there are honestly dozens of people earnestly talking about the cup-holders. What the hell? If I designed a car – any car, not just a convertible sports car! – it would have no cup-holders.

Speaking of simple lines you very much can pin down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3eKfL083ns

Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-05, 09:43

Well, I'm just being a little selfish, but when I like a car, I'd like to actually fit inside one. I hate many of the automated features on current cars, especially auto dimmers. Whenever I park such a car I feel a compulsive need to stare at it until the lights actually shut off.

I don't think it should be impossible to fit me in the car with a little more work. Drop the seat right to floor and move them back closer to the rear wheel wells, at least as far as possible. There are a few specialists that do these minds of modifications to squeeze NBA players into old 911s, but they'd probably never bother trying to squeeze me into an MX5, neither on a Matsu nor a Miata budget. Pity.

The trunk is big enough. It take a cooler and a camera bag. What else do you need ?

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-09-05, 09:48

Quote:
If Mazda would bring over the 6 wagon with their excellent MT I would trade this thing in a heartbeat and take the loss. If the MQB Sportwagens prove to be reasonably reliable without any of the $5,000 at one go VW surprises I'll look at that in a few years. In the meantime, I'm really rooting for Mazda because I want to have access to cars that are fun, cheap and reliable.
I assume you got the FWD CX-5? Those are pretty good numbers. I've seen the new Golf Sportwagen and it's nice but I'll have to see how they price it. The new 1.8 engine they are using is getting pretty good reviews though the MPG isn't as high as the Mazdas. It should be cheaper to maintain than the 1.8T you had though which required a close eye on maintenance and ran on premium.

Someone mentioned an agreement to keep wagons out but that just isn't the case. They tried and tried and tried. People just stopped buying them. It's the elevated driving position of the SUV and now CUV that they like. And they handle good enough now so that's not an issue for most people. There is a market still but it's tougher to crack than it used to be. Chevy sells a nice looking wagon version of the Cruise elsewhere that I think would do good here but they instead would rather sell the smallish sedan which mostly ends up in rental car agencies. I'd consider a Cruise Eco wagon with a 6 spd. MT. The sedan can get 42 MPG and they haven't even moved to direct injection yet.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-05, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
I am not a big car fanatic. A car is a utilitarian thing for me - something that is required because of the way we currently organize our transportation choices, especially in North America. We currently have an ageing Subaru Legacy Station Wagon as our only vehicle. It is a nice car, but is not exactly a premium automobile. And I never thought I would even consider a luxury car, but I was inspired today by a review I saw of a very particular luxury car.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...302274/?page=1

A reviewer drove the the Tesla Model S from San Diego to Vancouver essentially to answer the question whether, in the Tesla, the electric car is an idea that has finally come to be a reality. His answer is basically "yes". Needless to say, the drive went considerably better than the drive from D.C. to Boston detailed in Broder's article for the NYT, as discussed earlier in this thread.

I confess that I have not earlier paid much attention to Tesla, beyond reading some of the controversy surrounding the Broder article, and getting the feeling that it was a something of a hack job. Even at that though I was not convinced that the Tesla was much more than a toy. The article I attached above has inspired me to do a bit more reading, and I am convinced that Tesla is for real: that in them, the electric car actually has a practical future and that this practical future is not some ever moving goalpost that is always 10-20 years away, but is now. The now, admittedly, is a somewhat limited now, because the Model S is very much a luxury, at $65,000 (Canadian) for the base model and going upwards steeply from there. But that is not out of the price range of other top-end luxury cars, and the Tesla competes very well within that class. The Model S version of the electric car still has some drawbacks, but it also has some clear advantages over internal combustion. With the ongoing development of the technology, including rapid charging stations which are now being put in place, the balances of drawbacks/advantages are now starting to tip to make the Tesla a practical choice for some car owners. And I am convinced that Tesla has some considerable developmental force behind it. This thing is going to roll forward....

We will likely be in the market for a new car next year. I may give some serious consideration to the Model X, the new version to be released in Fall 2015. I have looked over the driving range projections, and it seems to be sufficient for about 95% of our driving. And there is already a Tesla rapid charge station in place in the middle of the route to our one regular driving destination that would take the car outside of its range on a return trip. For other situations, where the range will not be sufficient - which will be quite rare (especially if more charging stations come on line)- I would be willing to rent a regular vehicle. I already have to rent on some weekends due to competing demands on our car. And the Model X looks like it may be more reasonably priced that the Model S. It is likely still to be a luxury, but I may just splurge on a car, for one time in my life. A Tesla may have my name on it.

Now if only Apple would buy Tesla and invest some its considerable cash reserves in it, the technology might develop even faster.
I absolutely LOVE the Teslas. I've had my eye on one of the higher end models but Cleveland isn't exactly a hot bed for electric cars or car chargers. That is the one thing that makes me nervous about them because if you go on a road trip with one you have to plan a route that would have charging stations along the way. It would be a perfect in town car though if you drive a decent amount but you always are able to charge at home.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-05, 10:42

Quote:
I hate many of the automated features on current cars
Me too. My Citroën C1 (engineered by Toyota, really) has had nothing go wrong with it until last week when the electric window went down and refused to go up. I took half the door apart – heck, half of both doors apart to temporarily swap parts – and couldn’t find the fault. Gave up and took it to a garage. Turns out the electronic control unit had glitched in some mysterious way and needed to be rebooted. €94 of garage labour later (no parts needed) and I had lost my programmed radio stations but at least got the window back. Maybe it’ll glitch again – who can tell?

And for what? Electric windows (never mind all the other bullshit) serve no useful purpose for me. They only make it more difficult to crack the window open 5 mm or wind it down very quickly at a toll booth.

I drove a rental Volkswagen Golf the other week. The lane-change feature on the indicator stalk drove me bonkers. Three unstoppable blips (at lazy solid-state German speed) every time you overshoot while manually disengaging the indicator (as you need to do on every roundabout if you give a damn about proper signalling). And again, for what? There is no better system than the spring-loaded stalks of the eighties, which allowed you to lane-change all you wanted without fully engaging the indicator, and yet also kill all flashing dead precisely when you wanted.

I know I’m old-school but I’m sure I’m not the only one in the whole world. As I’ve said before, I’d love a beautiful, super-simple, high-quality, 100-horsepower, sub-1-tonne, cheap car with great handling that returns 60 miles per gallon. This is dead easy to do – just dump all the bloat you can’t de-option these days and you’d be halfway there.

Quote:
The trunk is big enough. It take a cooler and a camera bag. What else do you need ?
Nothing whatsoever.

addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-05, 12:19

Quote:
I assume you got the FWD CX-5? Those are pretty good numbers. I've seen the new Golf Sportwagen and it's nice but I'll have to see how they price it. The new 1.8 engine they are using is getting pretty good reviews though the MPG isn't as high as the Mazdas. It should be cheaper to maintain than the 1.8T you had though which required a close eye on maintenance and ran on premium.

Someone mentioned an agreement to keep wagons out but that just isn't the case. They tried and tried and tried. People just stopped buying them. It's the elevated driving position of the SUV and now CUV that they like. And they handle good enough now so that's not an issue for most people. There is a market still but it's tougher to crack than it used to be. Chevy sells a nice looking wagon version of the Cruise elsewhere that I think would do good here but they instead would rather sell the smallish sedan which mostly ends up in rental car agencies. I'd consider a Cruise Eco wagon with a 6 spd. MT. The sedan can get 42 MPG and they haven't even moved to direct injection yet.
Yeah, the FWD. No use for Mazda's idea of AWD.

Humorously, the 1.8T engine was the least of my problems. It was everything attached to it-- cooling systems, clutch and transmission, any and all electrical connections, etc. The MK IV VWs are sort of legendarily horrible, so it's certainly not fair that I would hold the brand responsible for that cluster fuck forever, but it's not like subsequent models have been trouble free.

The thing with VW, Teutonic taskmaster that it is, is that when something goes wrong it goes spectacularly wrong and costs a shit ton of money to address, unless you are or know a mechanic. VW people always say "any brand has its issues", but many brands have $200 issues. VW has $5,000 issues. They also say "Did you maintain it meticulously? You can't expect to enjoy fine German driving unless you are prepared to maintain it meticulously." And I'm like "Holy shit, I have a job. I don't want my car to be another job. I don't want to drop another $500 every time I get a check engine light or I hear a weird noise. I will certainly do the recommended servicing, expensive as that may be, but I'm not going to worship at the altar of money is no object to keep the precious happy."

So I thought I'd take a break with a boring old Japanese car, that doesn't expect me live up to their standards of behavior.

addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-05, 13:15

My only complaint about the new MX-5 is that the headlights are a tad squinty. I would have preferred something a little more swept back ala the Jag F-Type (which the new Miata is frequently being compared to), or failing that just a little more open so the face doesn't look sleepy.

Given the proportions of everything else happening up front, I have this irresistible urge to reach in there and pry those lids up, if only a tad. To me they just look undersized. Have to wait till I see it in person though.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-09-05, 13:24

The lights definitely are narrower — that's the first thing I noticed. But that seems to be the trend.

Dorian, I agree that I'd prefer a simpler interior (though it's at least supposed to feel higher quality this time)...but I feel that way about almost every new car, so I guess I've made my peace with it.

All in all, I like it (having obviously not, you know, driven one). It's definitely a big change to an iconic design. But I think it was time. It feels new again, which I think I prefer to some sort of deliberate faux retro look in this case.

addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-05, 13:43

And, of course, the whole point of the thing is how it drives. I'm guessing once these hit the showrooms and people get a taste of the current chassis setup and Skyactiv pound shaving mojo and whatever motor Mazda sees fit to stick in there mated to their current 6 speed stick the real rejoicing will commence.