Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Fall has...um, fallen

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Fall has...um, fallen
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-02, 08:53

Those numbers are a pleasant 15 or so degrees cooler than the past month has been (high 80's/low 90's), and a solid 20-25 degrees less than most of the summer.

Needless to say, I'm pleased as punch. Autumn has always - always - been my favorite time of year. The air is crisp, the sky is blue, it smells good outside, I get to wear one of my several favorite jackets or fleece pullover thingies. I love the colors, the weather, the various fall fairs and carnivals that spring up around the area on the weekends (live bluegrass, food, games, arts and crafts, old tractors and/or cool hotrods on display, etc.).

I've got a few pumpkin/spice-scented candles I like to light this time of year...makes my house smell cozy and inviting. I've got a fake jack-o-lantern that I've had for years and years, and I put on the porch (it's very realistic, but without the mess, or the use of a candle). I just plug it in and it adds to the vibe. From October 1-November 1, it's out there. I got it at Target in the early 90's, I think...and I just can't stand to let it go. So I drag it out of the closet his time every year.

I always seem to be more active and upbeat this time of year...I just feel like being outside and doing things. And my overall mood/outlook is just more "up" (I'm not all hot and feisty, coated in sweat, etc.).

Anyone else (especially those in hotter areas) finally catching a break now that it's getting fall? Oddly, the past couple of years it stayed quite hot and uncomfortable well into October (I wore shorts last Halloween while walking around with my little monkey niece and nephew). But this crisp, chilly morning (and evening) air - this early in October for the first time in a few years - makes me feel great!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-10-02 at 09:09.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-10-02, 09:11

Is it bad that I read the thread title as fail has fallen? I thought failblog was down or something.
¡Damned!

2008-10-02, 09:19

It's about 45 and overcast up here (MI), and this morning was the first day I've had to throw on a hoodie with my shorts.

I'm the exact same way wrt fall. Definitely my favorite season. I can start wearing my jeans, jackets and shit-kickers and all is good in the world again.

It might be the crispness in the air or the falling of the leaves, but every time fall begins I start to get really antsy, like I want to jump in the car and hit the road for a couple weeks/months. Drive around the country, stay in shitty roadside motels, eat at truck-stops and just kind of take a look at the world for a bit.

*sigh*

My only consolation this year is that I'm heading out to Portland at the end of the month to take a look and see if it's a place I'd consider relocating to.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-02, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Is it bad that I read the thread title as fail has fallen? I thought failblog was down or something.
I'll meet you halfway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm the exact same way wrt fall. Definitely my favorite season. I can start wearing my jeans, jackets and shit-kickers and all is good in the world again.
Yes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
It might be the crispness in the air or the falling of the leaves, but every time fall begins I start to get really antsy, like I want to jump in the car and hit the road for a couple weeks/months. Drive around the country, stay in shitty roadside motels, eat at truck-stops and just kind of take a look at the world for a bit.
That's me. I get real "drive-y", and his time of year is usually when I'll wake up on a random Saturday, throw on my favorite jeans and pullover, flip a coin and just head out (after I stop at the corner Stop-n-Rob for a 96oz. fizzy-as-can-be MegaSlurp Dr. Pepper ). But I've got nowhere to go, and nothing to do (and all day to do it). I've driven up to Kentucky on the two-lane backroads, over to the North Carolina mountains, down to the northeast Georgia mountains and small towns, etc. on gorgeous autumn Saturdays. When I lived in SoCal, that's when I'd take off to Julian or out to Joshua Tree and just be gone all day, almost daring myself to take out-of-the-way roads and highways to see how "off the beaten path" I could get.

"I hope I get lost! That would be cool!"

But yeah...the cheap roadside, non-chain motels (and you always flash to "Psycho" as you step into the shower that evening..."that guy at the check-in counter acted a little weird..." ) and small town "meat and three" cafes and diners. I love it. And there is always some rickety place on the side of the road selling apples and stuff. I gotta stop and buy a couple, just to see if the person selling them is as toothless as I'd imagined (they almost always are).

At $3.85/gallon, I might not do it so much this year. But I'm sure I'll squeeze in at least one "get lost for an afternoon in a town or area I've never been to before" excursion.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-10-02 at 09:43.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-10-02, 09:26

I just spent two minutes trying to figure out how that picture was a fail before I actually read the word. Time for coffee.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-02, 09:39

That means I'm teh Clever™.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-10-02, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I'll meet you halfway.

That made me laugh, which I very much needed right now. Stupid work.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-10-02, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

[...]

I've driven up to Kentucky on the two-lane backroads, over to the North Carolina mountains, down to the northeast Georgia mountains and small towns, etc. on gorgeous autumn Saturdays.
Oh, hell yes. The early autumn drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway as the trees start changing is beauuuutiful. We didn't get to drive up there last fall, but my wife and I are planning to go some weekend later this month, maybe go to the wooly worm festival in Banner Elk at the same time.

Sure, the gas alone for the trip will probably cost a hundred+ dollars, but it's totally worth it as a mini-vacation.

Oh, and I loves me some cooler weather.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-10-02, 13:10

I view Fall and Spring as kinda weather-similar. Reversed time-wise from each other, but kinda the same in a mirror image way. They're both at either end of Winter with Summer either at their start or end. In Spring it starts cool but gets warm and in Fall it starts warm and gets cool. I hate Winter a great deal. Which means, for me, Spring wins over Fall simply because it's heading away from Winter, whereas Fall is heading into Winter. But really, if I'm not taking into account the fact that time marches on and Winter is coming right after Fall, I like Spring, Summer and Fall pretty much equally. They all have their good points. Winter has no good points.

Rather than start a whole thread about how I hate Winter (which would just give Winter undue attention), I'm just going to put my little rant right here: Winter is a bleak, horrible, period where everything is death and cold and dark and harsh. First off, I don't even like snow. Everybody always says, "How can you hate Winter, the snow is so pretty!" That's why I put that right at the top. And the fact is, the people who say that, say it during Summer or some other non-Winter time. When it's actually snowing during Winter, nobody likes it. Anything that I might like about Winter would only be for a few seconds before whatever it is makes me too cold or wet or otherwise not comfortable. For example, snowmen. I might like those. But only for a few seconds before I need to go inside and warm up. Not worth it. Seemingly paradoxically, I really hate the sun in Winter. Sometimes, when it's not Winter, I think, how bad can it be? I can always just bundle-up to keep warm, right? Wrong. Well, that's true, but... you always forget that the Winter sun is still hot. So it's freezing cold outside, but it's still hot in a way. A horrible way. And speaking of the sun, it's at its most annoying during Winter. When it's out (which is much less of the day - annoying in itself), it's right in your face, blinding you. Well that's enough. I could go on, really, but I won't.

Ugh.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-10-02, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Oh, hell yes. The early autumn drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway as the trees start changing is beauuuutiful. We didn't get to drive up there last fall, but my wife and I are planning to go some weekend later this month, maybe go to the wooly worm festival in Banner Elk at the same time.
Wooly Worm Festival rocks.

We're thinking of heading upstate this year just to drive like insane people.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-10-02, 14:11

It's Fall in Las Vegas too. It's a brisk 85 degrees today.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-02, 14:13

Haha...put on your mittens!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-10-02, 15:12

My car's windshield was frosted over for the first time this morning
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-10-02, 15:17

Personally, I'm hoping fall holds off for a while. We just seeded our yard a couple weeks ago, and we're still working on getting a decent covering. We probably need another two weeks of days solidly in the 70s for us to have a decent covering over our mostly dirt lawn before winter. The first freeze may be devastating if it happens before November.

Otherwise, I'd be all kinds of excited about fall. I love the weather in October and November (normally), and it's one of my favorite times of year.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-10-02, 15:32

I bet there aren't as many people here in Canada who feel warmly toward fall, because it just means the inevitable decline into winter, which is hell. Yeah, it looks nice, but the impending freeze takes away so much of the pleasure for me.

Oh, and would you guys switch to metric already?!

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-10-02, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
My car's windshield was frosted over for the first time this morning
I'll add that I can also see my own breath in my kitchen
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-10-02, 16:11

I don't miss most aspects of New Hampshire, but I sure do miss the fall. It's just gorgeous there in the fall.
Foj
Veteran Member

2008-10-02, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
That would take the fun out of everything. Plus, we don't really have the money to change all our signs at the moment.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-10-03, 01:22

Generally speaking, we do not have seasons in Southern California. However, I did notice an unusual spattering of leaf litter this morning.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-10-03, 01:39

I'm so grateful that Tidewater has seasons. I have turned my A/C off and have a fan in one windows to pull air through the house. It's wonderful! Though right now it's in the 50's and I have the windows open but the fan off.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-10-03, 07:34

Fall is made of win.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-10-03, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Fall is made of win.
I thought that was winter.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-03, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I'm so grateful that Tidewater has seasons. I have turned my A/C off and have a fan in one windows to pull air through the house. It's wonderful! Though right now it's in the 50's and I have the windows open but the fan off.
Same here. I've had the A/C off for 4-5 days now, ever since this cool weather arrived. I've opened up about three windows (and my front door, when I'm home) and it's so nice and fresh in here. And I've got the ceiling fan in the living room and bedroom going, and I guess it helps flow it all around. The house is so comfortable and inviting, without being too cold or "artificial"...it's a natural, "from outside" kind of cool that I can only get away with doing for a couple of months a year (now and then again in about April or May).

The other night I fell asleep on the couch, with the front door wide open. It was awesome!

And I'm seriously considering dragging a sleeping bag out to the porch/deck tonight or tomorrow night (it's screened in, so no bugs or varmints can get me, but I'll still be sleeping in the cool, night air).

I wish I had a hammock...I'd go out and sleep in it for sure!
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-10-03, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post

Cooking is 100 times easier, if you can handle metric.

There is a place outside Peoria, Illinois that from the middle of October on that is always my favorite drive coming out of Peoria north on Hwy 6 to Route 29 is pretty nice.
6 brings you into the Illinois river valley and 29 follows the river north, it's also a popular spot for bird-watching, migrating egrets and cranes. I always look forward to it.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-10-03, 09:15

I love the fall.

It just got pretty cold here in Philly over the past few days. I love pulling out the sweatshirts and sweaters. I wish I could live in a place where it was fall all year round.

On the other hand, I got my first real taste of October baseball last night at the Phillies game and it was awesome. Hopefully it continues through to the World Series.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-10-03, 09:26

Yeah, I'm a long-sleeve kinda guy. Long-sleeve T-shirts, sweaters, light jackets, pullovers, three-button shirts made from that thermal/long-john material, my favorite comfy plaid flannel shirts (the most important safety rule is to always wear these...safety glasses ), fleece stuff from Old Navy, untucked button-downs, etc. So this time of year really clicks with me because that's what I can finally wear and enjoy. That's all I have in my closet, really.

I look like a goober in short sleeves, with my Bugs Bunny arms all hanging out.