Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Powerbook speakers cutting out

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Powerbook speakers cutting out
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-01, 13:48

This has been happening a couple times lately, and it's kind of starting to worry me. Essentially, my powerbook internal speakers will stop working, no amount of fidgeting with teh volume controls will kick them on again. Any clues?

1st rev 1.25 ghz aluminum powerbook g4 running OS X.3.7

I've found out what's wrong, but I don't know how to fix it, essentially, it keeps switching the audio output from powerbook speakers to headphones, for an unknown reason. And when goto the sound preferences the only option I have is for headphones.

Last edited by Wrao : 2005-02-01 at 19:11.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-02-01, 20:55

Zap PRAM? Does sound come out of your audio out? I know that there are times when I would unplug headphones and the sound is all screwy. Have you tried unplugging and replugging in headphones?
Wrao
Yarp

2005-02-01, 22:31

It keeps happening. I just happened to have a pair of headphones by me, so I tried plugging them in right when it happened, which brought the sound back, but I doubt it *fixed* the problem.

I will look into zapping the pram, I haven't even restarted the computer in over a month, so it might just be in need of one.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-01, 22:33

Try this.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-03-04, 13:48

I pretty much only use headphones now because when I use the powerbook speakers they intermittently cut out. It's really annoying. Like listening to a song and having it just cut out and 'skip' though it's not really skipping, playback isn't halted, the sound just cuts out sporadically. Sometimes for a while then it comes back. Like just now, it cut out for about 5 seconds.

augh! this is fucking annoying!

regardign keepsoundawake, I guess it couldn't hurt, but this isn't just the audio hardware warming up, I've been trying to listen to an album for about 10 minutes already and been faced with cutting out every so often.

Is there *anything* I can do to fix this? it's honestly terrible, ruins listening to music through the internal speakers. ugh. This is going to make selling this thing much harder.
Marcellus Wallace

2005-03-04, 14:23

Wrao...found this on the web:
http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbth...b=5&o=&fpart=1

A few questions:
Is the above the same problem that you have? How long does it take until your mac returns to default... or does it constantly switch back and forth (from internal speakers to headphone)?

Denkend aan Holland zie ik breede rivieren traag door oneindig laagland gaan, rijen ondenkbaar ijle populieren als hooge pluimen aan den einder staan.