User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Speculation on Merom in MBP down the road?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Speculation on Merom in MBP down the road?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
wubbus

2006-04-16, 22:15

Hello,

I am new to the forum so go easy on me I am relatively new to Apple as well so....

In your educated and informed opinion, will we be looking at a Merom-equipped MBP sometime this year? Or is that simply such a stretch of the imagination....

I tried searching the forum for this but I could not find anything of substance....

Thanks in advance.

p.s. This is not merely to satisfy my burning need to know, but because i need to buy a laptop before i return to school. I will buy a MBP sometime in August/Sept however if there is a chance that we are looking at a serious upgrade to the MBP innards then I will hold off.
gsxrboy

2006-04-16, 22:35

Apple wont have a choice in the matter really.. once merom hits every other manufacturer will be all over it.. and with good reason.. merom is really what Apple has been waiting for in portables.

As good as yonah is, its just a steeping stone to the full new tech of the merom/conroe etc architecture.

Short answer - yes, hopefully by October(ish) they will be out.. seems to be conflicting reports wether they are being delayed (for no technical reason) until new year or not.
Rolo

2006-04-16, 23:15

I agree, Merom should be out in October unless it's pushed back for some reason.
onlooker.org

2006-04-16, 23:24

I think the release schedule intel laid out was Woodcrest, Conroe, Merom.

All I really remember was Woodcrest was first, but I thought they were doing it from Server/WS, Desktop, to Portable. So the way I listed it would be correct.

I Am SciFi

-onlooker.org
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-04-17, 16:52

Good question - Meroms are expected early Q4 this year but it's anyone's guess if Apple will move quickly from Yonah to Merom in MBPs
wubbus

2006-04-17, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker.org
I think the release schedule intel laid out was Woodcrest, Conroe, Merom.

I actually thought it was the other way around, starting with Merom, ending with Woodcrest but I could be wrong.

So we are looking at Q4 at best, perhaps?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-04-17, 17:32

Here's some good info to satify your Intel cravings:
Linkkkkk

There's 7 pages, and has some good info. Enjoy!
wubbus

2006-04-17, 21:51

Thanks for the info WLP, I appreciate it.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-24, 09:41

Do you think they will move the intel iMacs to Merom as well when the processor is released? Also, what type of specs are we talking about the Merom having? 64-bit right? But that about FSB and GHz and cache? Thanks.
Kit Fisto

2006-04-24, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
Also, what type of specs are we talking about the Merom having? 64-bit right? But that about FSB and GHz and cache? Thanks.

Merom is 64 bit and my understanding is that it will have EVEN BETTER performance/watt ratio than Yonah! And it will be pin compatible with Yonah! So it should go right into the MacBook Pros!
CFP

2006-04-24, 10:26

Quote:
Do you think they will move the intel iMacs to Merom as well when the processor is released? Also, what type of specs are we talking about the Merom having? 64-bit right? But that about FSB and GHz and cache? Thanks.
But isn't Merom a processor specifically designed for mobility? And so when the iMacs get updated next, wouldn't they be more likely to have the new Conroe CPUs?

Unless the Conroes are reserved for the Mac Pros when they eventually come out...

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
GWARREN

2006-04-24, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP
But isn't Merom a processor specifically designed for mobility? And so when the iMacs get updated next, wouldn't they be more likely to have the new Conroe CPUs?

Unless the Conroes are reserved for the Mac Pros when they eventually come out...

The iMac uses what would be considered to be more of a portable chip due to it's size AFAIK - it doesn't use a full-bore not heat spared desktop chip.

PixelMix - an (almost) daily photoblog for Scotland.
BlockSoft - donationware for OSX.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-24, 11:10

Is it likely that 2.33 GHz with a 4MB Cache and a 1GHz bus speed will really be the high end merom processor? That in a 20" iMac would make me complete!
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2006-04-24, 13:28

Merom is indeed a portable chipset based on the new Core Achitecture.

The new Core Architecture contains a 4-issue core vs Intel Duo Core and Pentium4's 3-Issue core.

The caching should be better and the 128-bit SSE functions now operate in single cycle for all.

The 64-bit support is nice but in a laptop it's a bit superfluous. However the rest of it and the 4MB L2 cache have me salivating.

omgwtfbbq
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-24, 13:34

Has the timeline been changed or updated at all. Is it possible to see Merom by late August or early September because for some reason that is what I had heard?
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2006-04-24, 13:49

Rumors abound that Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest have been pushed up to Q3 for delivery.

Intel is getting very agressive. If I had AMD stock I'd be a bit worried.

It's also rumored to be fully Mactel by the end of this year and that would require Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest shipping in volume by end of Q3.

omgwtfbbq
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-24, 13:53

Oh that would be GREAT! I am waiting for them to switch the iMac to Merom. As silly as that sounds I just can't in good conscience buy a 20" iMac right now when it is not a complete necessity and knowing there will be a better one in like 4 months!
hmurchison
Veteran Member

2006-04-24, 14:06

It's a no brainer for Intel and Apple. Merom is pin compatible with Yonah (Intel Core Duo). They likely won't even need a firmware change.

Yonah tops out at 31W TDP(Thermal Design Power) Merom is only a bit higher at 35W. Perfect iMac CPU replacement.

I think a 20In Merom iMac would make a great computer. I'm trying to move my mother over to the iMac in the future. So by then Merom will be likely in the iMac and Leopard will be out with Bootcamp and other goodies.

As always ...cool times to be a Mac user.

omgwtfbbq
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-04-24, 18:10

Do you think it will be possible to send in the MBP's for processor upgrades later? I know it's not possible on your own, since the chip isn't socketed, but maybe if it's sent in to upgrade company?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-24, 18:15

I don't know. That would be a nice service. Also this article link seems to believe that July is when we should look for all the new chips to be released. That would be great. Right in the middle of the summer savings deals for school buyers.
runner91786

2006-04-24, 23:27

Yeah, I do remember hearing about Intel boasting the "drop-it-in" upgrade for one of the new CPUs in place of Yonah(Conroe I think). So this should work in iMac and Mac Minis that are socketed. Sorry for MBP users.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-25, 11:05

How safe is a drop in upgrade though? What about heat issues from higher performance porcessor, or is this not a problem with the newer processors they will release? Also would a drop in upgrade void your warranty?
Partial
Stallion

2006-04-25, 13:22

It definitely would void the warranty. It's really easy to install a processor into a socket, though. Extremely easy.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-25, 13:34

Yeah I know that it is easy because I have done it a lot with building pc's I would just be concerned about doing it in an iMac because of the limited space and air flow. Basically I would worry it would get too hot but I guess that wouldn't be a problem, right?
runner91786

2006-04-25, 14:21

Supposedly the new chips are more efficient/run cooler, so more than likely not.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-26, 13:52

Sounds like a good deal, except what do you do with the processor you just yanked out of your iMac that is only 4 to 5 months old? Is there going to be a market for this? Also how much do yall think the processors will cost? Same as current high end ones, less, or more?
ZachPruckowski

2006-04-26, 18:18

Well, you can probably sell it. I don't know what it's pin-compatible with, but there should be a market for it online.

I think processor price points are pretty static. I mean, I think that when Merom comes out, Yonahs will drop a few price points, and Meroms will take over the top ones (for notebooks). I mean, commodity computer prices rarely change, and they're on razor-thin margins, so I feel like the processors should stay the same price points.
MacConvert

2006-04-26, 20:09

Quote:
Sounds like a good deal, except what do you do with the processor you just yanked out of your iMac that is only 4 to 5 months old? Is there going to be a market for this? Also how much do yall think the processors will cost? Same as current high end ones, less, or more?
I would think that someone wanting to upgrade the processor in the core solo or duo mini might be interested in the purchase.
PhysicsTheory

2006-04-27, 22:02

Woodcrest is coming out in June, Conroe in July and Merom in AUGUST. Not november.

Cheers!
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-27, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsTheory
Woodcrest is coming out in June, Conroe in July and Merom in AUGUST. Not november.

Cheers!
Do you have a link to where you found that? Because I am really hoping it is before that, so just asking.