AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Brittany Murphy dead at 32

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Brittany Murphy dead at 32
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2009-12-20, 15:05

wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or not, but apparently Brittany Murphy died this morning. Cardiac arrest at 32...

http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/20/britta...ardiac-arrest/
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-12-20, 15:18

Wow, that sucks. I loved her work in "Spun".
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-20, 16:27

Yeah, that's really sad. RIP. I wonder if she was anorexic.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-20, 16:49

Cocaine. I'm not saying she was, but if she really died of sudden cardiac arrest at the age of 32 it was either a congenital defect that somehow was never detected or she was a cocaine user. Seriously, there are no other explanations.

Whatever happened, RIP Brittany.

Come waste your time with me
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-12-20, 16:53

I really don't know this actress, but it's sad.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-12-20, 16:55

Some kind of drug, not necessarily cocaine. Hell, could be Lipitor for all we know, but I'll be damned if the autopsy doesn't confirm it as an OD.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-20, 16:57

Lipitor doesn't cause a 32 year old heart to deteriorate to the point where it can't work anymore. Cocaine does. Congenital defect or cocaine.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-20, 20:42

I always thought she was quite cute and had a great voice. I liked her in "Sin City".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-12-21 at 01:09.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-12-20, 20:49

Never heard of her, until now, but so young such a shame.

R.I.P.
¡Damned!

2009-12-20, 21:00

Never caught her in a film besides Sin City, but constantly saw her name in the King of the Hill credits (she voiced Luanne, I believe).

Pretty young to be checking out so early. 2009's certainly been a bitch.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-20, 21:03

Oh, yeah...I forgot all about her "King of the Hill" role!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-20, 22:12

Sin City is one of my favorite films and she did a wonderful job in it. I didn't see her in anything else, but it's sad to see her go. 32 is young, it's really too bad.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-12-21, 01:01

Kind of brings it home, since that's pretty much my age. I liked her in Sin City, not sure I ever saw her in anything else.

Way too young for someone to die of a heart attack though.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-21, 01:03

(Thread split/merge.)
Noel

2009-12-21, 01:26

(Psst, it's "Brittany Murphy".)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-12-21, 01:38

Blame alc for misspelling it in his duplicate thread!

Fixed.
Hassan i Sabbah

2009-12-21, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026 View Post
Cocaine. I'm not saying she was, but if she really died of sudden cardiac arrest at the age of 32 it was either a congenital defect that somehow was never detected or she was a cocaine user. Seriously, there are no other explanations.

Whatever happened, RIP Brittany.
RIP.

But yes, cocaine, I'd warrant, or crystal. A few years of cocaine isn't very good for the heart. Many young people in Britain end up in Casualty on a Friday night with heart attacks just binging.

gibberish
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-12-21, 09:01

Crack's even worse. My wife has seen 18 year olds showing up in the OR with 70 year old hearts.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-12-21, 09:21

i am not so willing to jump on the drug band wagon...

there are a lot of causes of death at any age. heart attacks, aneurysm, stroke, cancer.... none of these requires excessive drug use...
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-12-21, 09:52

since she is a hollywood actress....the likely causes are

1) drugs

2) anorexic

3) congenital heart disease

4) other (electric shock, toxic issues, etc)

add sleazy husband or wife for hollywood too...of course sleazy husband and wife can be a universal cause of death just about anywhere...sadly

in the general populations a 32 year old dying suddenly of heart failure would be:

1) drugs

2) congenital heart disease

3) anorexia

4) other

so really not much difference....anorexia is a problem everywhere, buy hollywood more than others

anorexia leads to bradycardia and irregular heart rhythm...heart failure is the common demise of most anorexia patients, sadly...

too bad, i didn't know her at all, but she seemed like a nice person from what others have said...

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-12-21, 10:27

I'd chalk it up to anorexia. It's the only mental disorder that will kill you if left untreated. And from some of the photos I've seen, she looks like she's quite underweight.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-12-21, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I'd chalk it up to anorexia. It's the only mental disorder that will kill you if left untreated. And from some of the photos I've seen, she looks like she's quite underweight.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2009-12-21, 11:03

The AP is reporting the initial cause of death is "natural causes" but no specifics on that.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2009-12-21, 11:19

Autopsy won't be performed until sometime this week and they won't release an official cause of death until tox reports come back. It'll be a few weeks before we know.

Technically everyone dies of "natural causes." Your heart stops, you're dead...naturally. You get shot, you bleed out, your heart stops, you're dead...naturally.

Again, 32 year olds don't die of "natural causes" very often. Unless there was a congenital defect, it's cocaine.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-12-21, 12:09

Quote:
Autopsy won't be performed until sometime this week and they won't release an official cause of death until tox reports come back. It'll be a few weeks before we know.

Technically everyone dies of "natural causes." Your heart stops, you're dead...naturally. You get shot, you bleed out, your heart stops, you're dead...naturally.

Again, 32 year olds don't die of "natural causes" very often. Unless there was a congenital defect, it's cocaine.
Or anorexia. Eating disorders generally can cause all sort of heart problems. Your heart quits getting what it needs because you're not eating, and it'll stop. No matter how old you are.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-21, 12:10

What about combination of several things, all factoring in? Drug use (past or present), possible anorexia (she's looked horribly thin in many photos), prescription drugs (those got Heath and Michael) and some sort of defect (like John Ritter had).

Any one of those things could do it, but maybe one led to the other (if her body was weakened by anorexia or something, and the other things piled on).

Sure seems odd. I know "it happens" (dying young, out of the blue), but as others have said above, you have to reasonably expect/assume other stuff. She might be a rare case in young Hollywood where drugs of some sort (prescription or otherwise) didn't play a role, but I'll be surprised.

We learned from Heath Ledger and Michael Jackson that "drugs" don't have to automatically mean cocaine, meth, heroin, etc. She could've been taking "legit" stuff for physical or psychological reasons and overdid it? Or mixed some together that shouldn't have been?
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-21, 14:16

Quote:

When you say "cocaine", it seems that it was not an overdose (that would've been obvious and she was apparently taking a shower, not snorting up on her coffee table), so are you suggesting it is somehow "cumulative effects" of her taking cocaine over a long period of time? That seems unusual, as well. Most people who die from cocaine, die from acute overdose. At least, that's my understanding. Can you clarify?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-21, 14:29

I'm not saying this happened, but couldn't it be possible that someone could do such a thing in the bathroom (or are coffee tables in the living room the only suitable place to do cocaine?) perhaps on the sink or whatever, stepped into the shower and then collapsed?

Forgive my ignorance on the mechanics/process of overdosing, as I don't partake and have no real-life experience in the field.

But I assume plenty of folks have done drugs and then got into trouble (OD symptoms, cardiac arrest, etc.) minutes later, in the same room, while engaging in a second, separate activity (showering, cooking, working in the garage, watching TV, having sex, etc.)?

"Taking a shower" can't possibly rule out the possibility of drugs being done at some earlier point.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-12-21, 14:31

Yeah, maybe that's possible, too.
Hassan i Sabbah

2009-12-21, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
When you say "cocaine", it seems that it was not an overdose (that would've been obvious and she was apparently taking a shower, not snorting up on her coffee table), so are you suggesting it is somehow "cumulative effects" of her taking cocaine over a long period of time? That seems unusual, as well. Most people who die from cocaine, die from acute overdose. At least, that's my understanding. Can you clarify?
Cumulative use of coke and crystal are really bad for your heart.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...icineandhealth

Especially crystal, I'd expect, which hits you harder and lasts longer. Imagine if your heart's going as if you're running for seven hours... I suspect that one all-nighter and a bit of a Wednesday pick-me-up a week might be enough to really do some damage after a few months. And people do a lot more than that.

gibberish