User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Anyone ever build a house or have you house built new?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone ever build a house or have you house built new?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-09-23, 09:06

I don't think this particular tree has much value to a commercial operation, but it might just furnish some cool project wood for me to use. I'm not an expert, but the boughs seem unusually long and straight. I think the previous owner might have planted this from municipal street furniture stock, so it's still a baby, about 40 years more or less.

The city used to require builders to plant one boulevard tree per lot and certain planting/landscape features at corners, mid-block connectors, turning circles, etc. This was mostly 8 ft young maple and ash, and some oak and other trees, and then a lot of different evergreen types on the mass plantings around parks, parkways, berms... The previous owner was quite a scavenger - he worked on construction sites. As I tore things up/out, I've found a lot of evidence around the home in the last few years of materials scavenged from various job sites, which my chatty neighbor confirms... tiles, insulation, lumber, railway ties, light fixtures, kitchen cabinets marked for another home on another street in the neighborhood, even a circular red oak staircase! They used to share the riches I think... I any case the tree's grown a little weird I think in part because he tried to train it not to get too high and the tree didn't cooperate. The canopy is too wide and the boughs too heavy. The crotch wood might be nice though, if I can mill planks to go right through it.

For this year I'm going to take off the three boughs that shoot out almost perpendicular, and see if the thing keeps growing without taking out my fences and lower roof.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-23, 10:42

My mom had a tree like that in her yard. She trimmed it like a bush and was annoyed it tried to grow so much. Then one day a friend came over who does tree work and asked her why she's keeping the tree so squat. She finally let it grow and it looked great once she did. I forgot what kind of tree it was. This happened decades ago.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-27, 10:12

I was going to start a new thread, but I figured why not just stick into this one. While my wife was in hospital I installed all the crowns I'd talked about two years ago (in MDF). I picked up a few things when insomnia had me watching endless YouTube videos, and some of the MDF issues were easy enough to counter and get a straight seam. The panel mold is still sitting in the house "acclimating". It's been a over a year, but I just never got to it. I ended up getting poplar because just before lumber prices went insane, it was actually cheaper than the same profiles in MDF, and the lumber yard had it in 16ft lengths.

I've had to convert a main floor room to a temporary bedroom, and clean up one basement room for the kids play/toys/schooling etc. Damn ceiling had popcorn in it, so I plastered right over it rather than release a ton of dust trying to scrape and sand it. Took three coats, but it's pretty smooth. Still needs to be sanded, but not until my vacuum sander comes in.

Anyway, the house needs help on the exterior. I know there are some artistically inclined folks here. The bricks are orange. I kinda want to trim out all the windows, eaves, gutters and fascia in black, but maybe that's a bit too trendy. Trying to get it all lined up for springtime. Thoughts?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-27, 10:31

Is this one of the things you watched?

Guy is very good with all that finish trim work, and I've learned a ton watching him over the years. Young guy, almost too low-key/laidback sometimes, but he knows his stuff and seems to do solid work. I love to watch how he tackles a room...the math, proportions, establishing guidelines, etc. All that front-end prep/planning is interesting to me.

Can you provide a pic of the house?

I love black trim (window frames, etc.). Trendy or not, that's all I'd consider on some future place. My favorite look is white painted brick, black window trim/frames, wood accents in other places (porch posts, shutters). If a copper roof can be worked in/makes sense/looks right...by all means. But I like dark/black shingles (or metal) too. But I've come to love white brick houses, the past 4-5 years. There's one in the neighborhood across the road from me, and every 1-2 months I'll go out of my way to drive past it just to look at it. It was traditional red brick before, for decades. I saw the project play out a few summers ago. It changed the entire look/stance of the joint, I couldn't believe it. I even stopped one day, when I saw the owner in the yard, to let them know..."I just wanted to tell you your house looks amazing...absolutely beautiful!" I thought they were gonna cry.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-01-27 at 10:48.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-27, 10:54

Yes! That is one of my main ones. Also home Renovision DIY, the honest carpenter, the funny carpenter, a couple of Canadian channels, studpack, Peter Millard, Rex Krueger, a couple of trendier builder and furniture channels too…

The Renovisions DIY channel is very practical too.

I’ll send you a pic. The exterior is an absence of style. People from the GTA area will recognize this suburban style all over the Toronto suburbs built in the 80s and 90s. Basically a box with a two car garage partially stuck out in front covering between 1/3 to 2/3rds of the front elevation depending on the size of the house. It’s about half of ours. There might be some ornamental gables over one or more of the windows, and a front porch on the non-garage side. They tend to be arranged on 50ish foot lots in a repeating orientation with the adjacent lot mirroring the porch on one side and the garage on the other.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-01-27, 15:36

My fiancé and I recently purchased 5 acres and we're going to meet with a builder tomorrow. Pretty excited. Already been pre-approved for our new construction loan so we're ready to go all out and build our dream-ish home.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-28, 10:53

5 acres sounds like a dream. Congratulations.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-28, 11:24

I wouldn't want dozens/hundreds of acres, no. But enough space to where my closest neighbor is at least 300-500 feet away (and maybe with some trees/woods between us)? I love it quiet. My Dad and stepmom moved down into Georgia last year (there were previously over right near downtown Chattanooga, literally two blocks from a bridge that crossed the river into downtown...the main road that ran by their house: speeding, honking cars with music, firetrucks and ambulances on the regular, big construction vehicles going to and from projects.

They're down in the country now in a brand new (well three years old) little cul de sac with about eight other houses. It is so quiet. I love going down there and sitting on the porch...it's a 180-degree change from what they used to have. Totally rural/quiet, but they're five miles one direction from a Walmart, restaurants, Ace hardware, small town (Lafayette) and then 5-6 miles in the other direction from another small town (Chickamauga), grocery stores, another Ace hardware, more restaurants. And then they're only seven miles (in a third direction) from a larger small town (Ft. Oglethorpe) with a huge Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, all the expected sit-down restaurants, a movie theater (when that comes back), etc.

Their closest neighbor is a good 300-400 feet away. Close enough to go to for help or whatever, but not right there, 20-30 feet away, to where you're in each others' business 24/7. It's really the perfect setup and they both seem so much happier and at peace these days. No way in hell I could live within the city limits, a stone's throw from the downtown area. Chattanooga is certainly no Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, etc., but it's still got a large downtown area, with all the same shit every downtown area has...crime, noise, pollution, traffic, panhandlers, crowds, no easy access to grocery stores or general retail, etc.

I want to live where they do. Something to be said for room-to-breathe and quietness.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2022-01-31, 16:40

We had our house built about 7 years ago in a cul de sac which forks of another cul de sac. Now the city administration decided to create a new building area next to our property. We already expected that this would happen at some point in the future, but we didn't expect that the road to that new building area (with about 24 properties) will be connected via the end of our cul de sac ... :/

For our area, we already have a relatively large property (which is about 0.4 acres), but now I envy those with 5 acres ...

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-02-10, 21:34

Why didn't anyone tell me custom shades for a house cost so much?!?! WTF....
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-02-10, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Why didn't anyone tell me custom shades for a house cost so much?!?! WTF....
The word custom should have been the hint.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-11, 14:06

Yeah. I'm glad I ended up buying a pre-built house now but there are so many things that are VERY custom in my house. It was the original owner's "dream home" so it has some very nice features in it. Some just require something extra just to maintain. I'm not so keen on that from a parts availability standpoint... but I have avoided the custom blinds though some of my windows really do need them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.