AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Mac OS 11, aka, Big Sur

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac OS 11, aka, Big Sur
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-16, 11:15

Progress bars that don’t show progress are my most hated things in Apple-dom. I’ve had numerous moments of unease or mini-panic over the years at something “stuck” and not happening for 15-20 minutes.

But I always knew better than to abort and just wait it out. For someone who’s used this stuff for 25+ years, I kinda know those moments occur. For newcomers to the platform having to do these things without a Mac-savvy friend or relative, I can see why they’d think something is wrong and stop the procedure, resulting in trouble.

It seems Apple could put a little text blurb/message on screen saying exactly what was taking place and “even though the progress bar may not be moving, important installations are taking place. These may take some time. Please do not shut down or restart your Mac.” or things along that line.

They could easily throw folks a bone and calm their fears at those moments.

Just sitting there staring at a progress bar that hasn’t budged in 15+ minutes, with no helpful text on the screen to let you know “this is normal...relax” kinda sucks.

Maybe address that in MacOS Napa, Apple. Seems pretty easy to implement.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-16, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Progress bars that don’t show progress are my most hated things in Apple-dom. I’ve had numerous moments of unease or mini-panic over the years at something “stuck” and not happening for 15-20 minutes.

But I always knew better than to abort and just wait it out. For someone who’s used this stuff for 25+ years, I kinda know those moments occur. For newcomers to the platform having to do these things without a Mac-savvy friend or relative, I can see why they’d think something is wrong and stop the procedure, resulting in trouble.
Who's to say there isn't a bug where it does get stuck, though?

It seemed to take 75-ish minutes. I guess some people will be patient and leave it running overnight, but… what if it does take 9 hours?

Quote:
It seems Apple could put a little text blurb/message on screen saying exactly what was taking place and “even though the progress bar may not be moving, important installations are taking place. These may take some time. Please do not shut down or restart your Mac.” or things along that line.

They could easily throw folks a bone and calm their fears at those moments.
Definitely, but beyond that, while showing a simple, slick progress bar is fine for things that take at most just a few minutes, there comes a point where giving some more "what the hell is it doing right now?" details would ease tensions. Is it still reticulating splines? Reversing the polarity? Etc.

Quote:
Just sitting there staring at a progress bar that hasn’t budged in 15+ minutes, with no helpful text on the screen to let you know “this is normal...relax” kinda sucks.

Maybe address that in MacOS Napa, Apple. Seems pretty easy to implement.
Yup.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-16, 12:13

I'm all for it. I want to know what's being done, even if it's just a static bit of text. It's the "nothing" - and nothing moving - that sometimes scares me.

I've never waited on anything on this front more than 25-30 minutes. I guess I've been lucky.

I've had friends/relatives call or text me during installations "nothing's happening and I'm not sure what to do...".

"Just give it time, wait it out...there sometimes seems to be a part where it hangs up and just sits, but it'll move again. DO NOT shut down or restart!"

But Apple could do things on their end to make it to where those people never had to call me in a worried, semi-frantic tone (or that they'd know for sure not to shut down/restart). Nobody wants a $1,400 paperweight, but I bet it's happened plenty.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-16, 12:23

Quote:
Nobody wants a $1,400 paperweight, but I bet it's happened plenty.
Yup.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-16, 13:13

Yikes!

I'm on the early-2013 13" MacBook Pro...but I'm not risking it. In fact, I might not even be eligible anyway. I need to check...

EDIT: Ah, I can't. Just as well. Wasn't looking to do it anyway. My Big Sur experience will just come via a new Mac at some point in 2021 (an Apple/M1-based one...Air, new iMac or whenever they transition the two higher-end 13" MacBook Pro models).
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-11-16, 15:21

I'll probably update my personal machine later this week. Gonna be months before my work machine is updated though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-17, 10:44

I have an older MBP that I'm not sure what year it was made. I 'm not chancing an upgrade on it.

So far it has been great on my wife's MBP. I'm not doing much on it, but Fusion works great on there so there is hope I can upgrade my MBP.

I like the integrations I'm seeing with iOS and most importantly () the fact that icons have real texture again. Putting every icon in a box sucks though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-09, 19:27

So has anyone else upgrade? A month in I haven't heard many bugs or issues. Testing on my wife's MBP I have Fusion running on it just fine. Makes me tempted to go ahead and update my primary machine.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-09, 19:30

Nope. Seen too many service issues. It ain't baked yet.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-09, 19:38

Thanks, I'll keep holding out.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-12-09, 20:39

Been kind of buggy on my 2019 iMac, but seems to be ok on my M1 MBP.

There are of course some issues, but not sure if that's related to the M1 or just Big Sur in general.

I'm also super out of the loop on the actual release software since I've been running the betas all summer. I kind of even forget that this is a "new" OS at this point.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-12-10, 12:21

Considering that 10.15 still feels like a beta a year after it came out, this doesn’t sound reassuring.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-01-30, 00:49

Just deleted a post - upgraded after a long wait as initial release sounded a bit buggy.

Had issues with external screen dropping every 15 seconds and my Magic Mouse and track pad lagging. Turns out the issue was the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock which was freaking the system out. Once I disconnected and reconnected the issues seem to have gone.

Posting this so it might help someone in the future....

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-30, 06:55

Check the thunderbolt dock thread, I had a hell of a time with mine (CalDigit) until I cleaned out old kexts, no issues since.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-30, 12:51

Big Sur is super picky about old 32-bit crap hanging around in hidden places. If you did a migration or upgraded an existing installation, expect trouble!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-30, 13:11

I'll be on Big Sur only because it'll come on whatever M-whatever Mac I wind up with in 2021. And I'll be installing my three whole third-party apps directly from the Mac App Store, so hopefully I won't have any carryover issues of "the old stuff" lurking around anywhere. I think that is what's causing trouble for a lot of people, just that solid clean break/line from the old and the new?

The one-click migration thing is nice, but I've always been concerned about "if I'm having weird issues/gremlins, won't those just carry over as well?", so I never do that when setting up a new Mac. It's easy enough to download/install apps fresh and I can manually copy over my documents, music and Photos library, and just let everything else behind the scenes re-build itself or whatever it needs. I might be totally wrong on all this, but it's just the way I've always done it and I rarely have big glaring issues/troubleshooting adventures.

I run as lean, clean and tight a system as I possibly can. I certainly don't download trial/free-ware stuff, or all those "Mac running slow? Clean it for free with this amazing software!" things which probably installs God-knows-what onto your system. Making sure friends and family don't either is damn near a full-time job...

"Guys, don't believe anything you read/see in an unsolicited online pop-up/banner ad or emails...I'm begging you. Because then I'm affected/involved because guess who then has to put on his Troubleshoot and Fix Stuff hat (when that's his least favorite thing to do)?"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-30 at 13:22.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-30, 14:02

I saw that a big section of Highway 1 in Big Sur had washed out, so please use caution when doing fresh installs.

..ledo
chucker

2021-01-30, 15:12

Quote:
I've always been concerned about "if I'm having weird issues/gremlins, won't those just carry over as well?"
Same.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-30, 16:11

Me too... but I do it anyway for an existing machine. I don't migrate for a new machine so at least once every 7 years or so I get a clean start.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-01-30, 20:34

Haven't had any issues on Big Sur. One time I have a semi issue is with software that hasn't fully been updated for Big Sur properly, IE Quickbooks, ThinkOrTrade.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-28, 05:12

I often enjoy a burrito
And sometimes a bag of Doritos
But one thing I can’t stand
Be it a woman or man
Is another shithead from Toledo

UPDATE: Ken went and deleted/moved the post which inspired the poetic greatness above. Just pretend it was (another) spammer post above mine - because there was - and it'll all make sense. But I don't dare remove - and deprive my fellow 'Novans of - such stirring words and insight! True art is for everyone to experience and enjoy.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-04-28 at 11:05.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-28, 10:56

Nice, Paul. But it's gonna look a bit out of context now that our new friend has been moved to the Bot Scum thread.

Last edited by kscherer : 2022-04-28 at 11:30.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-04-28, 11:02

I addressed it. In the future, feel free to move my responses to the bot scum thread to, for proper context.

PS - If you think I don't have an ever-growing TextEdit file with rhyming words for "Toledo", you've not been paying attention. I'm just gettin' started...
chucker

2022-04-28, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
tot he Bot Scum thread.
Ica n't acces sthat.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-28, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Ica n't acces sthat.
Doesn't surprise me. I deleted the link to avoid confusion. It's a thread I created where I drop all of the Toledoans for their annual beat-down.