Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Photo/document scanner for home

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photo/document scanner for home
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-01, 08:10

I'm looking to purchase a scanner for cataloging some old photos at home. I don't need anything fancy or super-high-res; I just want something inexpensive to get the job done.

Any suggestions on brands or models?

What software would I use with Mac OS X? I seem to remember using an HP scanner with a Mac at work a year or so ago and I disliked its software.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-08-01, 08:37

Canon makes some nice printer/scanner deals which I swore up and down I'd never use back in the day. I've been pretty happy with the one I got though, was about $100.

If you're just looking to scan photos on occasion it will be great. I use mine all the time with no hassles. MP170.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-08-01, 08:42

I have an Epson Stylus CX4800 Printer/Scanner/Card Reader. Works great, I think it's $99 or something at Apple Store or online. it comes with Epson Scan software, which seems to work really well, and includes TWAIN drivers to use the scanner directly from Photoshop etc.
TMT

2006-08-01, 14:56

I have an older Epson Perfection at home; it's ok for what I use it.
I think you can't go wrong with any Canon or Epson scanner, I didn't use one from HP on a Mac, but if the scanner software is as crappy as their printer drivers...
I also like Vuescan ( http://www.hamrick.com/ ), it works with a lot of brands and models, is available for different platforms, and offers very basic and (too) advanced preferences. but it's not free, it's about 50 $.

If you want to use it for photos, there were some scanners bundled with some light version of professional scanner software like silverfast, and there are also some inexpensive models with a negative and slice - kit, and the quality is much better than scans from the prints.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-08-01, 15:38

I've got an Epson CX4200 (got it free when I bought my iMac). I just use image capture to scan. It does the job. Depending on how many photos you want to scan, you may think about getting one of those high volume dealies. BTW, I'm going to be buying a computer on Friday and getting a printer with it. If you want, I can pick something up that you want and give you a nice discount on it. PM me if you're interested.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-08-01, 16:09

At present i use a HP scanner and agree software is not good. Have used Epson Perfection series in the past, and been impressed with Scans and Software on both Windows and Macs.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Last edited by thegeriatric : 2006-08-01 at 16:20.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2006-08-01, 16:11

We have HP scanners at work and the software just sucks. If we could find any other high volume scanners that were reliable we would buy them, but until then we are stuck with HP.
Yes, their printer drivers suck sweaty horse balls, but Toshiba's drivers are even worse.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-01, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
BTW, I'm going to be buying a computer on Friday and getting a printer with it.
Let me guess: tax-free weekend shopping?

Actually, we're planning on getting my wife a new MacBook this weekend and we'll probably be getting a free printer too.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Keep 'em coming.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2006-08-14, 11:46

I've got a Mustek 1200UB.

Haven't used it in a couple of years, and never on OSX. Now I know why, they don't support OSX. Bitches. Been searching around, can't find any other software that will support this scanner either.

If any of you happen to know of any, please let me know. I must have just read thru about a million pages of driver info with no luck. Guess I'm going to have to buy a scanner as well.........

edit: glad I didn't have to redo this post. Firefox locked up when I tried to "post quick reply" to this thread. FWIW

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.

Last edited by Stone Of Love : 2006-08-14 at 11:57.
initialsBB

2006-08-15, 07:00

I just brought out an old Canon LiDE 30 scanner from a dusty cupboard last night. It's super light and thin, my father used to carry it around with his powerbook for work. It still works great and the Canon support site had all the drivers required for TWAIN capturing in Photoshop. The interface is straight forward, no frills no fuss gets the job done.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-08-15, 12:25

I saw an Epson Scanner/Copier/Printer/Fax combo thing in the Apple store Manchester on Sunday. I assume it's fully mach compatible since its in the store. And the best bit... It was 59 GBP

Yes, just 59 GBP!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
mhuk01

2006-08-17, 14:48

I have an epson perfection 4490 and it's great, even came with a free copy of photoshop elements!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-17, 14:59

Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone. We still haven't gotten one yet, but we do want to get one very soon.

I'm not too keen on buying an AIO device, but if you all think they're good, I might give one a try, even if I never use the printing functionality.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-17, 15:26

Brad, here at work, about six months or so ago, we got two Epson Perfection 4490 scanners. They were around $149 each, I believe.

I couldn't be happier with them. The images look great, it's very quiet and sleek (a bit tall and "hump" but a rather small footprint) and it's, hands down, the fastest scanner I've ever used in 12-plus years of using scanners.

I've considered getting one for home, if/when the time came that I needed to.

You can launch it on its own, or from within Photoshop. Nice, simple interface with lots of control and front-end tweakery (if you need that).

Here's a screenshot I just now took of the interface and working area.

I don't know if that helps or not. But you can see that it's fairly straightforward, but that there is plenty of tweakability and advanced features available too, via pull-down menus, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-08-17 at 15:33.