AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

3D Printers/Printing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
3D Printers/Printing
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-08-23, 05:00

My son saved up lots of holiday and allowance money and recently got an Ender 3D Pro. We had a blast putting it together and learning about printing. It's a constant learning process with every print and filament type presenting a different challenge.

Our recent project has been printing me an iPhone X case since mine is near EOL and the cases for the X and not the XS are getting harder to find. We're using a flexible filament. We had to figure out how to stop it from wrapping around the extruder wheel (print a new extruder and insert a piece of Bowden tube) and get it to adhere to the bed. Still working on that last one.

It's been fun learning something new along with my 12 yo son. Usually I teach him things as we go but this project, we're learning together. The only downside is that each 'learning opportunity" (mistake in non-child psychologist speak ) takes a ton of time because of the whole trial and error process. You've got make your adjustments in Cura, wait for the bed to heat up, wait for the extruder to heat up and then wait for the print to fail...

Anyone here use a 3D printer? What have you printed? Any tips for n00bs?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-23, 06:36

We do 3D printing at work now, since we've somehow ended up (partially) in the hardware business. It works great for mocking up / getting a sense of how a design looks and feels. It's also good enough for some of the simpler parts we produce (in relatively low volume). It saves a ton of time and money in the prototyping / iteration cycle, for obvious reasons.

I'm more of a software guy, so I don't really do anything with it myself, but I have to admit it's quite cool to look at and think about.

There's also interesting communities like Thingiverse.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-23, 09:25

I'm so glad you brought this up! I recently asked about this because I'm looking at getting a 3D printer for fun/personal use!