Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Obligatory Alien vs Predator Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Obligatory Alien vs Predator Thread
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-08, 19:06

All right so we all know about the video game (old hat) and many of you are probably aware that a movie has been in the making. Well, it's almost here, and I have to say... it WREAKS of cheeze. I mean I was curious how they were going to work the plot, but this here

TRAYLER

Seems to indicate the lack of imagination that has permeated Hollywood in recent decad... ahem... years... persists. Evidently the Predators have in eons past built an ancient sub-oceanic pyramid under the Antarctic, and the alien pod thingies are in stasis waiting to be goaded out for the ultimate war.

Sorry but this makes me want to not even wait to rent or PPV the thing. Free HBO or bust.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-07-08, 19:27

The movie is supposed to be unrelated to the video game and the comic books.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-08, 19:31

Yeah I realize that, but I have been very curious to see how they'd make the plot work and it's pretty obvious here they didn't. Unless this is one of those action movies that looks bad in the previews and is actually decent when you see it....

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-09, 08:56

After watching the trailer a couple more times, trying to decipher what in the hell it was the people behind the scenes were thinking, I've determined there is a 93% probability that this movie will be an abomination. Even though it might be fun to watch the two non-terra species rip each other to shreds in some cases.

dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2004-07-09, 09:47

Horrid plot or not... I'll probably go see it. I mean c'mon. Aliens. Predators. Marines. Who needs a plot as long as they're trying to kill each other?

It's too bad they aren't building off the comics story lines, some of those are pretty decent. I don't remember a specific AVP story arc but there were quite a few Aliens ones from Dark Horse that were cool. I remember really liking the "Hive" story. Dark and introspective, visits Alien homeworld, draws parallels to ants, android alien that fetches like a dog, royal jelly addiction, pheromone suits that render you "invisible" to aliens. Lots of great stuff there for a movie (no Predators though).

Shhhh, I can't see!

Last edited by dviant : 2004-07-09 at 10:50. Reason: my bad "Tribes" was a different story... it was "Hive" that was referring to
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-07-09, 10:03

That does sound pretty cool. I think I would've preferred that version.
Merovingian

2004-07-28, 08:02

This movie looks worse than Catwoman.

Edit: On second thoughts, no it doesn't. m.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-07-28, 09:00

I might go see it ONLY because they're supposed to pair the Batman Begins teaser trailer with it. I'll catch the trailer, then walk across the hall and sneak into something else. The "Exorcist" prequel, perhaps?
trailmaster308

2004-07-28, 10:25

Wanna talk about bad movies based on video games, have you guys seen House of the Dead? OMG that has to be the worst movie in the history of movies. I actually turned it off half way through. I assume they killed all the zombies. What was worse is they kept flashing to images of the old game during the movie..EEEk.

Looks as though AvP has a much higher budget and they will blow lots of things up. Can't be too bad if you go into knowing that right?

No plot. Everyone must die.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2004-07-28, 11:59

The first time I ever walked out of a theatre during a movie was when I saw "Highlander II: The Quickening." Usually, when I pay good money for an actual movie ticket (rather than just a rental), I'll stick it out to the end. But not that time.

Ugh.
¡Damned!

2004-07-28, 20:37

I'm sorry, but I absolutely love this kind of shit. I will be at the AVP first opening weekend with fucking bells on. Sue me.

As I will the next Resident Evil, Starship Troopers II (unfortunately released staraight to DVD), YouNameTheNextShittySciFi et al.

However...I will NOT see Catwoman. I have my pride.

So it goes.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-07-28, 21:27

I'll probably wait for it to make it to free to air TV (I could care less what they edit out) - I'm not that passionate about either "character" to warrant paying for it at a cinema or DVD rental actually. However, I do like the tag - something along the lines of "No matter who wins - we lose". Cute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug
The first time I ever walked out of a theatre during a movie was when I saw "Highlander II: The Quickening."
Yes, that was an absolute abomination - but for some reason I stuck with it probably - and this doesn't even make sense now that I think about it - b/c Queen did the music for the first one and also b/c I sort of hoped it would get better, but ...
Quote:
However...I will NOT see Catwoman. I have my pride.

All I want is a simple life
twitter