AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple Titanium PowerBook: Memory?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Titanium PowerBook: Memory?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-14, 09:02

I've got a question for you experts.

Crucial lists the 400 MHz PowerBook G4 as taking a maximum of 1 GB of RAM with 512 MB in each slot.

Can it take 1 GB in each of those slots, though? Or is this actually a hardware limitation at 512 MB?

Much appreciated!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-10-14, 10:03

Are there even 1 GB PC133 SODIMMs available? Personally I would think that any performance gained from having 2 GB of RAM (assuming you can find 1 GB modules for it) would be minimal since it's limited by the slow processor. Certainly it wouldn't be worth the cost of 2 GB of PC133.

I can't say if there's a hardware limit... I'm quite sure the Wallstreet and old tray-loading iMacs are limited to 512 MB (256 MB in each slot). Also, the Mirror Drive Door PowerMacs are limited to 2 GB of memory, even if you put a 1 GB module in each slot.
amarone

2004-10-14, 10:17

As a TiBook owner I can tell you with certainty that 1 GB is the maximum / hardware limit.

ah, you can find it here also: apple-history
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-10-14, 10:20

Yeah, I'd already checked Apple-History. I just wanted to consult the local experts first.

This is for the boss's PB. He wants as much memory in that thing as possible. I'll just leave it at that... So, 2 512 MB sticks is it!

Thanks!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-10-14, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone
As a TiBook owner I can tell you with certainty that 1 GB is the maximum / hardware limit.

ah, you can find it here also: apple-history

Oh, so you've tried 1GB RAM sticks then? Just because a computer is listed with a certain RAM maximum, this maximum can increase as higher RAM chips come out. This was the case with the G3 PowerBooks, IIRC. The Firewire supposedly had a 512MB RAM limit, but that was only because 512MB RAM chips hadn't been invented yet. Once the 512MB sticks were available, people were able to get their PBG3 Firewire models up to 1GB RAM.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-10-14, 11:02

I know with the MDDs, they would recognize 1 GB modules, but it still wouldn't see anything past 2 GB. It's possible that the TiBook could take a 1 GB module in one of the slots, but why bother?
amarone

2004-10-14, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Oh, so you've tried 1GB RAM sticks then?
Hmm, good question. No, I have not, and I really never heard/read about anybody try to put more than 1 GB in a TiBook. But could it be possible!? Don't know.