Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-03, 06:14

Beer is awesome!!!!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-03, 13:12

Hey, I was at Walmart a couple of days ago and they were selling their iPhone 12 models for $100-200 discounts. I don't know all the details/catches, but it might be worth checking out/looking into. The 12 mini would've wound up being $599 (or a bit less), if I understood the guy correctly (there's always a chance I didn't).

I know, several years ago, my friends got the just-new iPhone 7 at Best Buy for a good price, so this time of year, at some of these retail outlets, they might be having some good promotions/sales. I don't know if these apply to "new customers" (seems longtime, loyal customers to AT&T, Verizon, etc. ought to qualify for some of these sweet deals more than random new customers off the streets, but that's just me).

Anyway, look around. $100 is $100 (provided you're cool with any caveats/terms).

I wish they had a "no catch" $100 off the 2nd generation SE. I'd love to get one of those for about $299.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-10, 08:57

Suddenly, $550 headphones don’t seem all that nutty, huh?

I realize it takes all kinds, to each their own, etc. But there’s a level of goofiness I just have trouble buying into every once in a while.

It borders on the creepy, that turtleneck part. Where, exactly, did they acquire one? Because they could easily use any black fabric and say that’s what it was. I’m sure Steve’s widow didn’t provide one.

Some companies are weird, but not as weird as their customers. You know somebody, somewhere has bought one of these and didn’t think twice/blink about it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-12-10, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Suddenly, $550 headphones don’t seem all that nutty, huh?

I realize it takes all kinds, to each their own, etc. But there’s a level of goofiness I just have trouble buying into every once in a while.

It borders on the creepy, that turtleneck part. Where, exactly, did they acquire one? Because they could easily use any black fabric and say that’s what it was. I’m sure Steve’s widow didn’t provide one.

Some companies are weird, but not as weird as their customers. You know somebody, somewhere has bought one of these and didn’t think twice/blink about it.
What in the fuck did I just read.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-10, 11:31

I don't know. I figured there would be legal barriers in place to prevent such a thing, but I'm not an attorney so I honestly don't know.

But it's just an unholy stew of creepy, tacky and cheesy, with a side item of freshly-baked WTF?!

And for $6,000+, no less. Proving a couple of things, neither of them good.

And, sap that I sometimes am, I can't help but wonder how his widow or family, or close friends, feel when they see stuff like this. Same with Elvis, Michael Jackson, Princess Diana and others, whose relatives/survivors often have to live the rest of their lives seeing their loved one's memories monkeyed with or tainted in various weirdo ways.

We don't let the famous among us die with any sort of dignity, do we? Their post-death legacy is often that of a complete circus and dipshit orgy. The above being a pretty solid example.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-10, 12:47

How are we authenticating the turtleneck?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-10, 15:32

We probably don't want to know. I'm sure it's weird, gross and shady...and probably a complete sham to boot.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-11, 10:34

Ohhh... how about one with part of an Apple 1 computer embedded in it?
Quote:
By purchasing the Caviar iPhone 12 PRO Apple 1 you are becoming the owner of a rare item – a part of the first computer by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, Apple 1.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-11, 11:51

Okay, now I'm beginning to think it's Turkish New Year or something. Is this a joke?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-11, 12:18

But it's only $9,000+. Come on, live a little!

The only thing goofier than the above is the thought of there being those going for it.

If I had $9,000 to spend on something completely unnecessary and of questionable appearance/use, I'd...well, I'll just quit while I'm ahead and not even make that joke.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-11, 13:07

When you have $100million in the bank, what's 2 grand?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-05, 16:41

I find this tragic and heartbreaking...

...because I know how it’s gonna turn out. Apple will drop it like a bad habit at their earliest chance and we’ll once more go back to the GigantiPhones, all models/tiers, going forward.

A shame.

If this report is true/legit, then I missed that call big time. I truly thought there were loads of people in the world who didn’t want a giant phone and just wanted something compact and one-hand-friendly.

I was always hoping/assuming some future version of the SE was adopt the full face model for a $400-ish take on the design?

Maybe people just don’t feel good about spending $700 on something small (since that’s probably seen as a negative by many), but if they put out a $400-ish full face SE (even with the lesser camera and all), that’s where the smaller phone market resides, where price does indeed relate to size?

I’m just hoping they don’t abandon the idea. I know the days of the 5/5s/SE are long gone, but damn...I don’t need some of those crazy other sizes, and not at the prices they go for.

Apple, just put a full-face 4.7” screen in a modest, SE-priced phone and see if that results in anything. If not, then you can give up on the sub-5” market. But you’ve not exhausted all your options just yet.

I do think it’s a perception thing, sure enough.

“Why am I going to drop $700 on a phone smaller than all the others in the lineup?! Maybe if it was $400-500...”.

I just want the largest display, in the smallest body, for under $500. I don’t need six cameras, a nose-blower, an onboard lightsaber, etc. Just a solid, basic iPhone SE-level model with the large screen/small body thing going.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2021-01-07, 12:44

I think that a lot of people who really wanted a modern-internals, small phone ended up getting the iPhone SE when it came out earlier last year. Hopefully they keep the mini around for a couple of years at least for when those people start to upgrade.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-07, 13:07

I think that has a lot to do with it. I was actually thinking about it myself about the time you posted that. If there was a hint that a mini was coming out when the new SE did I'm sure a bunch would have opted for it. Heck, if I wasn't in the first year on my 11 Pro I would have likely gone for one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-01-08, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I think that has a lot to do with it. I was actually thinking about it myself about the time you posted that. If there was a hint that a mini was coming out when the new SE did I'm sure a bunch would have opted for it. Heck, if I wasn't in the first year on my 11 Pro I would have likely gone for one.
Yep, I got the SE day 1, so...
¡Damned!

2021-01-08, 23:28

I gotta say, I was the biggest thumb-noser at Apple's repurposing of the MagSafe moniker, but mang, that satisfying click.

I get mad at Apple for ignoring the user experience lately and then they come at me with a nice 'schleiiiip' magnet sound. And then that % animation. It's hard to hate, honestly.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-09, 04:17

The damn thing is cool as hell Makes me swish I hadnt bought my
scosche thing before i did.

And damn I cant talk type worth something.
noleli2

2021-01-17, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I find this tragic and heartbreaking...

...because I know how it’s gonna turn out. Apple will drop it like a bad habit at their earliest chance and we’ll once more go back to the GigantiPhones, all models/tiers, going forward.

A shame.
💯

But I’m not getting one because my SE1 still works fine (though it could use a new battery).

And while the Mini kind of addresses the size issue (the chassis is still bigger than the SE1), it doesn’t address my other main issues with the current phones:
  • The notch is idiotic
  • The camera bump means you can’t set the phone flat on a table
  • Headphone jack. What if I wanted low-latency monitoring while charging?

So, I’ll probably spring for a new battery for my SE (a whopping $50 for Apple, even less if I do it myself). But I do hope they keep making small phones, because eventually this trusty ol’ thing will die.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-01-20, 09:25

Last week I was in one of those areas with the 5G UW in Columbus and the speeds we're insane. Got 802Mbps Down. The up was only 29 but I think that was because I was driving and started getting out of the area. I can't wait until these speeds are more widespread.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey