User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iView MediaPro and the file system

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iView MediaPro and the file system
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-09-05, 13:24

Hi,

so I just imported 984 photos into a new iView catalog and ordered them nicely into catalog sets and -subsets. That's all great, and you can even put files into multiple sets, which under some circumstances is useful.

However, unlike Apple's iLife apps, iView leaves the file system untouched. When I move a photo to a different catalog set, it remains in the same folder on the file system.

What I'm trying to accomplish is the following: 1) all files get moved into a common folder (~/Pictures, if you wish) and 2) based on in what catalog sets they are in, they are symlinked / aliased inside subfolders.

For example, I have a catalog set "2004-08", which is a subset of "At Home", which in turn is a subset of "Family". In there, I have two photos. From the Finder, I want these photos accessible from both the root pictures folder as well as the more specific one.

Is there any way to accomplish this, possibly using an AppleScript?

(Why would I want that? Well, for one, I may not always be using iView, and also, iView is only available on my *own* computer. As soon as I mirror the pictures folder to elsewhere - say my webserver - , this organization data is not available, and I end up with a bit of a mess.)