Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

ePub Formatting Your Own Book!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ePub Formatting Your Own Book!!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-07-06, 21:53

I don't know if any of you have tried formatting your own ePub yet, but I'm in the midst of doing one now in Adobe InDesign CS5.5 and it's fairly straightforward. The entire document lives inside of a continuous set of threaded frames and the graphics are placed inline to the text instead of being placed externally.

The one problem that I've encountered is formatting footnote callouts.... they come out looking honking HUGE in the final ePub document.

Is there a way to apply a character style to footnote callouts in order to reduce their font size?

They footnote callouts are just hyperlinks that are internal to the document, so there may not be a way to style those yet in the XHTML setup for ePub format... but I can't find any documentation on how to style hyperlinks... not yet anyway

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-07-17, 09:24

I've gotten much better at making my book into an eBook and have come to accept that my footnote callouts aren't going to have style. It's nice watching the document's layout adjust to the orientation of various devices' displays.