User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple iPod Leather Case - Worlds most expensive rip off?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple iPod Leather Case - Worlds most expensive rip off?
Gizzer

2006-02-28, 15:13

OMG! This must be the worlds most over priced iPod accessory! Apple iPod Leather Case

$99 or £69!!!

How can they justify that for a slip case?!

The worst thing about it is that it's exactly what I've been looking for in an iPod case, but there's no way I'm going to pay that for it
neiltc13

2006-02-28, 15:16

Indeed. I think they're totally overestimating the market ESPECIALLY as they give away an entirely capable case with these iPods now. For a start, the people who have been buying cases in the past are the folks who bought iPods without a case included. They would choose a leather case because they had no case before, not because they wanted to be stylin'.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-28, 15:16

Aren't there about 4,300 other companies out there making stuff like this already, and for probably MUCH less? If this Apple thing is "exactly" what you've been looking for, something tells me you haven't looked too super hard.

It must be Extra Special Leather, I'm guessing.

It's idiotic because, for that price, you'd think you'd get accessible controls/display. The world's most expensive iPod sock, is what it is.

In any case, I'm sold on those DLO relaxed leather/suede ones (because those new 5G iSkin ones are so horrendously ugly). When I get my new iPod, that's the case (DLO) I'll be getting. For $39 too. And viewable display, accessible clickwheel and ports too!

Not sure what sort of spendthrift, money-burning numbnut this Apple case is supposed to appeal to? Because it's black leather and says "iPod"? Are they banking on that to carry it?

"Oooh, I'll take two!"

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-02-28 at 15:22.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 15:17

I can't believe Apple out-lamed the iPod socks. It's just a leather version of the condoms that already come with iPods.
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2006-02-28, 15:21

You young'uns with your newfangled video ipods...

I can remember from the days of wayback when my iPod came with:

-remote
-leather case
-firewire cable
-charger
-dock

Hah! We needed the case 'cause of walking 20 miles to school everyday, in the snow, barefoot, uphill, both ways.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-28, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestleEwe
You young'uns with your newfangled video ipods...

I can remember from the days of wayback when my iPod came with:

-remote
-leather case
-firewire cable
-charger
-dock

Hah! We needed the case 'cause of walking 20 miles to school everyday, in the snow, barefoot, uphill, both ways.
Don't forget that we actually had a mechanical wheel
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 15:24

You guys sound like some of the peeps over at "AnythingbutiPod"...

Except that what they say about the iPod itself...
Paul
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 15:24

Sure, it is an expensive "rip-off", but then again, maybe you shouldn't be looking to buy it either. The iPod accessory market is HUGE. Every $1 of $4 spent on an iPod is spent on accessories. Why shouldn't Apple try to get into the higher-end side of the market as well? This is a premium accessory for those that want their gear for Apple. The next time Apple releases a portable product you can bet there will be a $99 case ready to go from the start before the rest of the third party manufacturers get a shot at it...

Of course, they probably won't sell that well, but they will sell enough to cover costs and make a tidy profit. Well done Apple.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-28, 15:25

I've been quiet and neutral the past few hours...but this was a bit of a lame-o event, huh?

Integrated graphics and price increase on the minis.

This Hi-Fi thing which strikes me as a bit "yeah, so?"

And these leather cases.

First time in a while I've been genuinely underwhelmed.

Not in a weirdo, freaking-out way like some here (and other places), but just kinda thankful I'm not in the market for a mini, portable music device or iPod case from Apple.

MINK

2006-02-28, 15:28

leather case? dead animal skin? i thought steve only ate lettuce.

maybe the high price ensures all the cows are kept in a huge green field and killed humanely after a long and happy life.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-02-28, 15:28

Christ, even a thong case is only $35!

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
just kinda thankful I'm not in the market for a mini, portable music device or iPod case from Apple.

Well if you were in the market for a portable music device or iPod case from Apple....well, I'd just feel sorry for you....
Paul
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINK
leather case? dead animal skin? i thought steve only ate lettuce.

maybe the high price ensures all the cows are kept in a huge green field and killed humanely after a long and happy life.
Steve is not vegan, he is pescetarian.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-28, 15:36

So the new iPod case should be made from trout?
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-02-28, 15:37

Shit, I didn't know those terms existed.

I guess I'm a pesco-pollo-groundbeefotarian.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-28, 15:38

Fish scales would have been pretty.
MINK

2006-02-28, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Steve is not vegan, he is pescetarian.
so it's made of fish skin?

edit: damn this forum moves fast!
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Shit, I didn't know those terms existed.

I guess I'm a pesco-pollo-groundbeefotarian.
Jsut like religion..everyone wants there own cult.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-28, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzer
OMG! This must be the worlds most over priced iPod accessory! Apple iPod Leather Case

$99 or £69!!!

How can they justify that for a slip case?!
Well let's see ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Website
Hand-crafted from fine Italian leather, the Leather Case offers luxurious protection for your iPod or iPod nano.
It's a luxury item, what do you expect? And it's not like you're forcet to buy it ... there are dozens of other cases out there for the cheapskates ;p
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-28, 15:44

You know, for those types in Armani suits and driving a Porsche.

It's pennies to them.
Paul
Veteran Member

2006-02-28, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
There are usually no restrictions on non-flesh animal products such as dairy, eggs, or leather.
Plus, Steve Jobs is the CEO of Apple, he does not own the company. His personal beliefs about leather should not stop Apple from releasing/creating a product that will make money for their shareholders.

That said, this is way off topic.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2006-02-28, 15:55

Maybe someone told them this was the top end of the market and Apple thinks their pricing somewhere in the middle. It's not trout but it is a little scaley.

Shhhh, I can't see!
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-02-28, 16:09

And it has the ingenious ribbon to pull the iPod out. Like it was a D-cell battery from an iPod Hi-fi.
Gizzer

2006-02-28, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Aren't there about 4,300 other companies out there making stuff like this already, and for probably MUCH less? If this Apple thing is "exactly" what you've been looking for, something tells me you haven't looked too super hard.

The thing is I have been looking hard. All I want is a slip case (preferably leather, but it doesn't have to be) that doesn't have a belt clip sewn into the back of it. The white suede pouch thingy that the 5G iPod comes with is ok for a while but mine's already discoloured badly and it takes too long to "squeeze" the ipod out of it to see the screen and operate the controls properly.

If anyone knows of such a product, please post a link
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-02-28, 18:03

I actually liked the iPod socks. Six cases for $30 isn't that bad of a deal, and I like being able to choose between six colors (well, five...I lost my orange one ).

The Nano Tubes are probably even better, because they have accessible controls.

Of course, I probably wouldn't have gotten either if my iPod nano came with a case (like they do now).

But yeah, I agree that this is ridiculous. A $5 iPod sock or the freebie case is one thing, but why the hell would you drop $99 on a case without accessible controls? I don't care what it's made of, that sucks. The new leather case is even worse than that $59 slip case Apple sold a few years ago.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong