Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Nokia and Apple - iSync

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Nokia and Apple - iSync
djh

2004-10-22, 03:37

Hi all,
Nokia and Apple have never seemed to get their act together on integration with iSync.

I would dearly love to get a Nokia 6230 phone, it looks cool and does everything i would want from a mobile phone, but.......
it does not work with iSync!

It is a series 40 phone (what ever that means) and I think only series 60 are natively compatible with iSync.
Does anyone have any experience of series 40 phones and can they be made work with iSync, phone book and calenders are my bigest syncing wants.

Thanks
-DJ
cudaboy_71

Send a message via AIM to cudaboy_71  
2004-10-22, 16:26

dont believe the hype...the series 60 are no cakewalk.

i have a 6600 and had a helluva time getting that thing to sync...and its image is used right on the iSync page at apple's site.

dunno if there are any workarounds for the 40 series phones. but, there are plenty of people looking for workarounds for the 'supported' 60 series. (check out the apple discussion boards)

my advice: stick with a SE phone. i had a t68i and never had a lick of trouble with it and iSync in 2 years. my wife just got a t610 and it's worked flawlessly out of the box, too.

this nokia's been nothing but a headache (tho i did finally get it working)
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-10-22, 17:15

the 3650 syncs perfectly.
djh

2004-11-26, 06:59

Hey guys,
sorry to dredge this up from the archives again, but I am still undecided about a new mobile phone.

My current operator is begining to offer this:
http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,58708,00.html
The Nokia 6630.
It is not listed on the iSynce website, but is a series 60 phone, with the same features at the 6600 which is listed as iSynce compatible.
Anyone know if it is useable with iSync?
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-11-26, 10:20

according to THIS page it does.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-11-26, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh
Hi all,
Nokia and Apple have never seemed to get their act together on integration with iSync.

I would dearly love to get a Nokia 6230 phone, it looks cool and does everything i would want from a mobile phone, but.......
it does not work with iSync!

It is a series 40 phone (what ever that means) and I think only series 60 are natively compatible with iSync.
Does anyone have any experience of series 40 phones and can they be made work with iSync, phone book and calenders are my bigest syncing wants.

Thanks
-DJ
Well holy shit. I just bought a Nokia 6230.

No it does not work with iSync. Nothing you can do about that. I spent 3 days trying to find a solution and there is none.

What I can tell you is that it accepts vCards via bluetooth like a champ so you don't have to manually enter all the names.

And there is the unbelievable program called PhoneDirector that does everything you could imagine and more for this phone, except syncing. It even strips AAC files of the QuickTime wrapper so they can be played on the phone, unlike the Nokia suit for PCs that requires six or seven steps.

I'm working on a review so if you can hold off a few days, I couldn't , I'll have all the details for you on this amazing phone.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Gregg
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-23, 23:21

You won't see anything happen with iSync until Tiger and I doubt you will see support for the 6230 but one never knows.....