Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Favorite Keyboards.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Favorite Keyboards.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2011-06-12, 15:30

I have no favorite keyboard anymore, sad. used to like/have old clicky-keyboards, but they're gone now. I'm not totally convinced by the new Apple keyboards, not the wireless, nor the extended, but perhaps they just need a little get used to? They don't have much resistance, which is not the same as lacking feedback - I could see them helping avoid strain if I could learn to type more lightly - I tend to mash the keys a bit...

Apple's old 109 key (white) extended keyboard seemed pretty good. I think this came in both wired and wireless flavors. Nobody really seems to make mac specific keyboards any more...

I could use something with lots of function keys, but Apple's OS has hijacked some of them, and I'm not sure how well third party (windows) keyboards play with OSX. What do you folks use and like? I find that some of the Microsoft keyboards feel nice enough. Our workplace Dell's aren't very good.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-06-12, 15:40

I'm using an oldschool colored iMac USB keyboard I got from...someone on here, iirc! I find that the function keys work fine when it's plugged in, so if I'm gaming and need the Fs, I plug it in so that I am not accidentally messing with brightness all the time. This keyboard is my favorite of Apple's USB-based ones. I really loved the PowerBook G4 12" keyboard, I wish there was an external USB keyboard that used those keys and also had a numpad. Man, that would be the best. keyboard. ever.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-12, 15:55

On the Mac or iPad, Apple's excellent (is too!) current keyboard. On a PC, Microsoft's Arc Keyboard, in white, with lime trim <3 <3
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-06-12, 15:58

I use the current Apple USB keyboard with num pad at home. My only grief about it is that my fingers aren't as good at finding the keys blindly as on the thick IBM keyboard I use at work, but the Mac specific keys are enough to keep me from searching for alternatives. I also suspect that it is ergonomically good to use a keyboard that is as flat as possible so you don't have to bend your hands backwards more than strictly necessary.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-06-12, 16:18

I use a neural interface.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-06-12, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Are bio-neural gel packs involved?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-06-12, 16:27

What is this, Star Trek?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-12, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Off-topic (click to toggle):
Can I just say that that's one of the things I never got about The Matrix? Like, clearly they have that sort of technology. And yet everyone is always at that terminal using keys in the real world, or in the cockpit pressing buttons and shit, rather than scanning the Matrix or controlling the ship mentally. Like, what? And it's not like either would require jacking into the Matrix, which we know because there's that "control program"/Matrix simulator and because we see some traffic/gate controllers in Zion jacked into a mini-matrix of sorts in Reloaded. And even then, in their mini-matrix they're still typing on glowy floaty keyboards! It's just, like, why? It's like all the people in the movie know that the audience is there and are doing things "the long way" just for the viewers.

I'm not normally a "derp derp all sci-fi must make sense" person, and I get that the entire series is essentially driven by Rule of Cool anyways, but it still Just Bugged Me (to use the old tvtropes parlance).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-06-12, 16:40

@robo

Because nobody wants to regularly work at a computer which kills them if the I/O fails

Oh, and my favorite keyboard is the current wired Apple keyboard. It's just perfect, I even use one on my PC. Boring answer, I know, but I've done exhaustive research and this is the one I settled on. I've always liked laptop style keyboards over fat-keyed desktop ones (pre-alumnium keyboards, I used one of these bad boys when using an external monitor) so when Apple went laptop-style for their desktop keyboards I was a happy camper.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-06-12 at 16:59.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-06-12, 16:50

It's like a BT mouse, very nice when it works, but sometimes it fails to connect and you have to plug in your old USB mouse to make things work. Not that I'm trying to make sense of The Matrix. I'm not, it cannot make sense. Never!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-12, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
@robo

Because nobody wants to regularly work at a computer which kills them if the I/O fails
True. But they do it in Zion in Reloaded for no good reason!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-06-12, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
True. But they do it in Zion in Reloaded for no good reason!
They do it in what? Where? What are you talking about?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-12, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
They do it in what? Where? What are you talking about?
The "hovercraft traffic controllers" are in a circle in a white expanse in a mini-matrix of sorts. Typing away on floating keyboards and touch panels for no other purpose than to look cool, since they're in a mind-controlled simulation anyway. They could just, like, think the gates open.

Granted, the mini-matrix does help them see the incoming hovercrafts through the gates. But, like, do they not have monitors in Zion? They could just do all that IRL.

(Zion is the "last human city" in the sequels, because they weren't hitting us over the head with the messianic thing quite enough in the first movie, I guess.)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-06-12, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
...the sequels...
LA LA LA LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-12, 17:28

chucker

2011-06-12, 17:32

Sequels?
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2011-06-12, 18:40

Current (well sort of) wired apple keyboard without number pad.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2011-06-13, 01:08

I use a Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000 (i.e. Wireless Keyboard 3000 2.0 and Wireless Mouse 5000). Microsoft includes drivers (Intellipoint, Intellitype) for the Mac which work really great so far.
I bought it because
- I wanted a wireless keyboard and I prefer a full blown keyboard to the gelded Apple wireless
- I use Windows at work and sometimes connect my company notebook, so I prefer not to switch keyboard layouts
- The keyboard driver even has the option to change some key combinations on the mac (like Alt-L to Alt-Q etc.). Makes life easier when you constantly switch between two worlds.
- The set with mouse and keyboard did cost about half as much as the Apple keyboard alone
- I prefer the rounded shape of the mouse to the flatter Apple variant. Feels more comfortable to me. The keyboard is so-so. Its half way between the old desktop keyboards and a notebook keyboard (I'd prefer the notebook keys)

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin