Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Possible Mac mini upgrade soon...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Possible Mac mini upgrade soon...
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
kashou

2005-06-14, 10:12

Just noticed that the Apple store has the mini shipping in 6-8 business days. Usually a good sign that an update is on its way.

Let's all hope for next Tuesday!

--kash
trickedoutwizard

2005-06-14, 10:15

i noticed that yesterday as well, I can really think what they could update it too though, maybe a g4 1.5 and more standard ram, 512 would definately make this a more compellingly equiped machine. I want a single g5 2 gigahertz in the cube, that would make me happy:P
kashou

2005-06-14, 10:20

I think it would have to be 512MB standard RAM and a new video card. I don't think a 5400rpm HD is out of the question either.

This will be the last update for a year probably - until Mactel version arrives.

Should be pretty compelling if they can keep that price-point.

--kash
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-14, 10:26

I think 512MB base RAM and 64MB graphics would satisfy most everyone immediately, and result in TONS of "on the fence" types finally buying one of these (and not feeling so much like they're getting "a crippled machine, with yesterday's specs"). Everyone I know who is interested in a mini isn't buying one, for these very reasons.

A bump to 5400rpm drives across the board would be nice too.

Eventually the lid release mechanism/design needs to be addressed to allow for easier access to the "guts" (quicker and safer customer-performed RAM and AirPort upgrades), but if these things simply started shipping with 512MB RAM stock and a bit more Tiger-friendly graphics muscle, that would probably please most people.

I know I'd feel better about recommending them.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-06-14, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I think 512MB base RAM and 64MB graphics would satisfy most everyone immediately, and result in TONS of "on the fence" types finally buying one of these (and not feeling so much like they're getting "a crippled machine, with yesterday's specs"). Everyone I know who is interested in a mini isn't buying one, for these very reasons.

A bump to 5400rpm drives across the board would be nice too.

Eventually the lid release mechanism/design needs to be addressed to allow for easier access to the "guts" (quicker and safer customer-performed RAM and AirPort upgrades), but if these things simply started shipping with 512MB RAM stock and a bit more Tiger-friendly graphics muscle, that would probably please most people.

I know I'd feel better about recommending them.
I would second that.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-06-14, 11:53

I'd be happy with 64mb graphics as just an option on the Mac mini (and iBook, for that matter).

But yeah, 512mb base ram is whats really needed.

Personally, I'd like to see 512mb ram, 64mb graphics, 80gb hard drive, and bluetooth/airport standard. Of course, thats only because thats the config I want. One can hope...
trickedoutwizard

2005-06-14, 12:25

looks like the low end g5 tower now has a shipping of 7-10 days. Wonder if it's at all related.
bostongeek

2005-06-14, 12:31

I am not experienced with these delays and what they typically mean, but could it have anything to do with the bump to 10.4.2? Could it be that they are going to make all compies ship with 10.4.2 now?

BostonGeek

Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things. - Jack Burton
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-14, 13:00

As someone who [tries] to sell the stupid things on a regular basis, I would really like to see them just dissappear altogether. By the time you get them configured to a point where they are even useful (from a consumer's gotta-have-it-all perspective), their price puts them into the $1000+ range and iMacs start to make sense. In all honesty, people are turned off by them, not because of a lack of RAM or video capabilities, but because of the lack of Super Drive and Wireless and Keyboard and Mouse and Monitor and . . .

If Apple really wants to target the low-end consumer market, they really need to come up with a performa-like system on the lines of the e-mac but with a flat panel display. Period. The Mac mini is flat-out lame-o!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kashou

2005-06-14, 13:08

Since it is only the mini and the 1.8GHz Powermac I would guess that it isn't the 10.4.2 upgrade.

If they upgrade any two of the three most wanted specs (RAM, Gfx card, HD rpm) I will buy one in a second.

Did they increase the ship time before Tiger came out? My memory says they didn't.

--kash
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-14, 13:20

I think it's okay but like you said, it's only a good deal if you forego all the extra crap people want to add to it. Take the 1.42 GHz mini, add 512 MB of RAM, the wireless stuff, the Superdrive, a wired keyboard and mouse, and a 20" Cinema display, and you're paying only about $100 less than a 20" iMac.

On the other hand, you can do what I did... $499 mini, upgraded to 1 GB RAM for $130, later upgraded to an 8x DVD burner for a net cost of $85 (after selling the Combo drive), 17" LCD for $230, and an external 250 GB hard drive for $180. That's slightly over $1100 for the whole setup, so I'd say it's a pretty good deal. Not the most amazing deal ever, since a low-end iMac G5 would cost only a little more, but still pretty good (you have to remember that the low end iMac also doesn't ship with a DVD burner).

I absolutely don't understand people who "max" their minis. It's just a big waste of money. Unfortunately I'm already getting a wee bit fed up with the slow performance of mine, even though it's only being used for menial tasks (nothing very demanding at all). I'm going to consider replacing it with something a bit more future-proof, like an iMac G5, in a few months... even though I only bought it about three months ago.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-06-14, 13:39

Interesting note on AI...

""However, sources close to Apple say it is only a matter of weeks before the company begins to introduce its summer hardware line, which is expected to include updates to at least one family of iPods.""

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1130

Mile 1
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-14, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I absolutely don't understand people who "max" their minis. It's just a big waste of money. Unfortunately I'm already getting a wee bit fed up with the slow performance of mine, even though it's only being used for menial tasks (nothing very demanding at all). I'm going to consider replacing it with something a bit more future-proof, like an iMac G5, in a few months... even though I only bought it about three months ago.
And therein lies the problem with the Mac mini: too many people are purchasing them thinking they are the end-all to their problems. The mini fixes only one problem: It gets your PC out of the picture.

This is a computer intended for low-end stuff, no matter how much you beef it up. It is not the video-editing powerhouse that so many PC users want it to be. And there are a number of Mac users getting one as a "second" computer, then griping about how they under perform as a Photoshop station! Give me a break, already!

Use the stupid thing for Word and iTunes and e-mail and such and forget about all the mid- to high-end fun things. Although I am beginning to hear rumors of business using Mac minis as dedicated web servers for small companies. Good idea (if you don't get more than a couple thousand hits a day).

For upgrades, Apple should definitely get in more RAM and a faster drive, but they also need to get wireless built in. Something that will not happen within the current price structure.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2005-06-14, 16:12

I don't understand you guys that want 512mb RAM.

The thing has ONE RAM slot. It's supposed to run the Ram-hungry Tiger.

What's needed is a cheaper config with NO RAM, so that people can get the aftermarket 1GB stick they'll need right away.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-14, 16:25

'Tis most interesting...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-14, 16:54

We're saying 512 MB of RAM so the first-time Mac users who just buy one off the shelf and don't even know what RAM is don't get the impression that Macs are bad. Give a Mac mini with 256 MB to a first-time Mac user and they won't be impressed... OS X will slow down almost as much as a spyware-laden Windows XP installation.

So I say give it 512 MB of RAM standard and maybe it'll not only get people to the Mac, but it'll keep them there.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-14, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
So I say give it 512 MB of RAM standard and maybe it'll not only get people to the Mac, but it'll keep them there.
Awesome point! But I still say the things should be used to anchor small creek-based watercraft! Apple should have designed the thing more on the lines of the cube. Smaller, cooler, quieter, but still upgradeable! Can you imagine the Cube at $499?

davidbaldwin

2005-06-14, 17:20

MAN

I just bought one on Mondy and it stills says "Processing Order" today...

What should I do?

When I clicked on Check out it said that it would be 6-8 buisness days before it was shipped.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-14, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbaldwin
MAN

I just bought one on Mondy and it stills says "Processing Order" today...

What should I do?

When I clicked on Check out it said that it would be 6-8 buisness days before it was shipped.
Patience, young padawan! Your little Mac will arrive 1 hour and fifteen minutes after Apple announces upgraded models.
davidbaldwin

2005-06-14, 17:25

Anouther Question: Why does Apple charge Sales Tax Online for Florida?
davidbaldwin

2005-06-14, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer
Patience, young padawan! Your little Mac will arrive 1 hour and fifteen minutes after Apple announces upgraded models.
Hmm, I wonder what the return policy on Mac Mini's are...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-14, 17:27

Quote:
Anouther Question: Why does Apple charge Sales Tax Online for Florida?
Because Florida has sales tax, and Apple has offices in Florida, and Apple does not like the States to accuse it of trying to circumvent their laws.

FYI - just because an online company does not charge you sales tax does NOT mean that you are not legally obligated to pay it.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-14, 17:28

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder what the return policy on Mac Mini's are...
Return?
davidbaldwin

2005-06-14, 17:29

Quote:
Return?
Well, Yah, If I get it in on Tuesday..
and there's an upgraded model anounced that day, If it's a significant upgrade, I would rather send it back and get the new one than have paid the same price for one thats not as good.
BenRoethig

2005-06-14, 17:31

If a company has a retail presence in a state, they must charge sales tax. There are seven Apple Stores in Florida.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-14, 17:32

You missed my joke!

Apple will take returns. Just don't open the bloody box!
davidbaldwin

2005-06-14, 17:34

Quote:
You missed my joke!

Apple will take returns. Just don't open the bloody box!
Well, that makes me feel better, 'cuz even if they shipped it tommarow I wouldn't get it until at least Tuesday or Wendsday anyway comming from California.

Then again, maybee they will send the updated model...
BenRoethig

2005-06-14, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashou
Just noticed that the Apple store has the mini shipping in 6-8 business days. Usually a good sign that an update is on its way.

Let's all hope for next Tuesday!

--kash
That's pretty circumstancial evidence. They could just be down on their supply. I do hope there's an update though.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2005-06-14, 17:35

Quote:
Then again, maybee they will send the updated model...
Don't get your hopes up!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-06-14, 22:53

Colors...?

*dodges flying fruit*