Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Trade in desktop for laptop - when?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Trade in desktop for laptop - when?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-14, 13:12

I've sworn by my Power Mac for a long time now. It's tricked out - Radeon 9800, 1 GB of RAM, two 80 GB hard drives, a DVD burner, and a 1.33 GHz G4 upgrade. But just a couple of days ago I got myself a PC. It's a pretty standard low to midrange PC - Athlon 2400+, Radeon 9600 Pro, 512 MB of RAM, a DVD-ROM, and a 40 GB hard drive. I have it and the Mac hooked up to my speakers, keyboard, mouse, and monitor via a KVM switch, and it works quite well.

Anyway, now that I have the PC for any "power" (read: gaming) needs, the Mac seems a bit redundant. Yeah, OS X is like a hundred times better than Windows, but XP is still tolerable. What I was thinking of doing is selling my Mac and using the money to buy an Apple laptop. Thing is, I still need a bit of power even if I'm not going to be playing games. I had a G3/800 iBook a while back and it was generally very slow in OS X. Too slow. I'm guessing the G4/1 GHz iBook is much faster, and the 12" PowerBook (1.0-1.33 GHz) would be faster still. The main thing I'm wondering is whether the price for laptops will decrease faster than the price for my desktop or not. I can probably get about a grand from my desktop now, give or take. That's enough for an iBook or a used (probably rev. B) 12" PowerBook, either of which would probably suit me. Still, I'm put off by the poor graphics processors in those machines. I really think 64 MB is the lowest I'd be willing to go, and currently that means I'd have to buy a NEW 12" PowerBook, which is out of my price range.

There's always the option of selling the Mac now and just living with the PC for another few months so I can save up. Again, I don't want or need huge power in my Mac, but it would be nice to have a 1 GHz processor, 64 MB of VRAM, a 40-60 GB hard drive, and a minimum of 512 MB of RAM. Screen size doesn't bother me since it would be a "second" machine of sorts (though first in my mind).

Any advice on what I should do? I really don't see the point of keeping a PowerMac desktop when I already have a PC desktop, but there's no sense in downgrading the PowerMac because in the end I wouldn't make more than pocket change from, say, selling the 9800 and buying a slower video card, or selling the processor and buying a slower one.

If there are any laptop owners who want a very powerful PowerMac... I'm here!