User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Social Networking: finally something USEFUL! (well, if you are a web junkie)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Social Networking: finally something USEFUL! (well, if you are a web junkie)
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-21, 16:24

Now I'm sure most of you have heard of--at least in passing conversation--SOME type of social network on the internet. There are oodles: friendster, thefacebook, orkut (from google), OkCupid (from thespark.com), LiveJournal, etc... affectionately referred to as YASNS.

Each one is somewhat different from the others, but they all fall into a few basic categories. Some with blogging and photo sharing, others centered around popularity and wasting time in that network, and still others around dating and B2B applications... Basically... nothing incredibly useful, at best just fun to poke around in and at worst full of spam. Some are free and there are a few (okay, most of them) that charge membership fees.

I have stumbled ( ) upon a "new" one that is centered around SURFING THE WEB. If you find a site you like, say so and other sites will be suggested that you will probably also like. It is a great way to find cool sites that you may have never found otherwise. Think lots and lots of murbots crawling the web and categorizing pages... with some farks and "boing boing"s thrown in for variety.

Where else would you find this, this, (nsfw)this, and this?

It is great. But it requires a firefox plugin. You can still browse other people's profiles and stuff, you just can't "stumble". I submit my "page" for scrutiny...

poke around. if you are uncomfortable with the whole social network thing (which is understandable) you should still be able to find some really cool stuff. It also has a "sponsorship" option, but unless you are REALLY getting into the site, it isn't worth it.

www.stumbleupon.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StumbleUpon

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2005-01-21 at 16:52.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-21, 22:00

You need something different from the gang at AN? *sob*
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-22, 00:06

It seems that the company was founded by canadians... eh?