Airplane talk … if you're into that.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airplane talk … if you're into that.
Quagmire
meh

2024-01-26, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
It's well past time for the Boomers to move aside and let younger generations start being in these roles.

it's annoying when these comments are made and you get comments aback of "don't be ageist". Fuck that.

If Biden and/or Trump were in a leadership role at an actual company, they would have been forced to retire years ago.

It's well past time for these two to step aside and let other people in.

I'm still frustrated that Biden said he would only serve oner term, and he went back on that.

That being said, especially after the latest dictator comments from Trump and the Republican governors setting up for a civil war, the only logical choice is Sleepy Joe.
Their generation just can't seem to let go and retire.

Aviation is under the same thing. There is a push for Age 67( their real goal is remove the limit entirely) where the current retirement age is 65.

These people while a rough ride, benefited from the age being at 65 are now at the top of the seniority lists and now want to change the rules to benefit them. While trying to tell the younger generation that they deserve it( yet deride us as entitled), it will benefit us too despite causing stagnation, etc.

Only reason why Age 67 may happen is because Rep. Nehl's who snuck it into the House version of the FAA Reauthorization bill has a brother at Delta who is approaching retirement and wants the change. So yay nepotism.....

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-26, 17:55

Well, to be fair I'd rather have a senior pilot flying me around (although not too senior, if you know what I mean) than a kid with his/her face stuck in TikTok. Those fools are killing themselves (and others) at an alarming rate.

But, I'll get on your plane, because you seem like the type that wants to Live Another Day!

To the other point, the POTUS needs to have a significant amount of life experience if they are going to lead with reasonable integrity. I think he vast majority of Americans will be more comfortable with a 55-year-old as President than one who is 35.

Too young and that person just hasn't got enough experience beneath them; too old and, well, they're just too old! There should be age limits at both ends of the scale (I think it should be from 45* to "if you would turn 75 during your term you don't qualify at all"), as well as term limits for all elected/appointed officials. And the party system should be eliminated — it's high time we stop that nonsense. But, these are amongst the most wishful thinking a human can be asked to endure.

* I think an individual running for POTUS should have at least a quarter century of adulthood before they should ever be considered to run for such an office.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2024-01-26, 20:35

Trump must pay $83 million for defaming E. Jean Carroll over sexual assault claims
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-31, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
For every tiktok idiot, there is an 62 year old that can't figure out how to use the FMS, their iPad, or wants to push the boundaries to, " get the mission done" with my experience. Plenty are flying their current plane like it is the MD-88 or DC-9. Or a procedure change they ignore simply because they don't like it. Nothing unsafe in the change, they just don't like changes.
I can relate to this. My dad was a pilot for over fifty years. He flew single-engine stuff like Cessna 182, 210, tail-draggers of all kinds, etc.

You could stick that guy behind the wheel of anything in that class and he could land it on the head of a pin in a crosswind. He was amazing! Spent his entire career flying in the Idaho mountains, opened the airmail routes to the upper areas in the fifties and sixties, and is a legend amongst the private pilot community here.

But, you put a glass screen in there and he was completely lost!

I mean, he got his license in the early fifties and resisted change like no one you can imagine! Still, he had the courage to stop flying when his ticker started giving him trouble and he no longer felt like he could carry passengers safely. I wish more would do that!

Anyway, all this is a bit off topic, but there you go. I feel your pain.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Quagmire
meh

2024-01-31, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I can relate to this. My dad was a pilot for over fifty years. He flew single-engine stuff like Cessna 182, 210, tail-draggers of all kinds, etc.

You could stick that guy behind the wheel of anything in that class and he could land it on the head of a pin in a crosswind. He was amazing! Spent his entire career flying in the Idaho mountains, opened the airmail routes to the upper areas in the fifties and sixties, and is a legend amongst the private pilot community here.

But, you put a glass screen in there and he was completely lost!

I mean, he got his license in the early fifties and resisted change like no one you can imagine! Still, he had the courage to stop flying when his ticker started giving him trouble and he no longer felt like he could carry passengers safely. I wish more would do that!

Anyway, all this is a bit off topic, but there you go. I feel your pain.
And in 30 years who knows where I will be in terms of flying and adapting to the new tech.

But it is annoying to get told, " Don't use vertical speed!" I go, " why?" and they go, " Well it would do this weird stuff in the MD-88" Flying a 737 here and VS does just fine just as long as you fully understand what it does of course.

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-01-31, 13:25

Quote:
Flying a 737 here and VS does just fine just as long as you fully understand what it does of course.
And hopefully not a MAX!

There was a crash investigation I followed a few years ago involving a private jet (I think a Bombardier). The pilot had qualified in a slightly smaller plane whose touchdown point was further forward, and had only recently qualified in this new jet, whose main gear were significantly further aft. He landed at some particular airport (I forget the specifics) with a fairly short runway and needed the entire strip to slow down. So, he aimed for the touchdown point he was used to in the older plane. In the newer plane, this meant the main gear touched down about two feet before the pavement began and plunged into the dirt, causing the aircraft to lose control and crash.

So, yeah, old habits are hard to break, even with adequate training.

Of note, this wasn't an age thing, but a muscle-memory thing. The pilot in question had grown accustomed to the old plane and he forgot to take into account the longer aircraft's increased landing distance. These things happen!

Combine that with a refusal to learn new things and, yeah, you have guys telling you how to fly a 737 using the MD-88 as a training tool. And they're not even close to the same thing!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-01, 18:44

Quote:
Well it would do this weird stuff in the MD-88" Flying a 737 here and VS does just fine just as long as you fully understand what it does of course.
And, you might find this to be fun!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-02-01, 19:07

Given all the issues Boeing is having, that isn't a surprise at all.
Quagmire
meh

2024-02-01, 19:07

Quote:
And, you might find this to be fun!
Known about it.

McDon... Boeing's issue with the Max is a shame. Yes Boeing should have done a clean sheet design. Yes airlines do share some of the blame too. But I do love the Max. It solves all my issues with the NG with 2 added nitpicks...... The LEAP's take forever to start and they removed the EGT gauge for the APU. We are not required to monitor the APU EGT nor were we required to know the redline or anything. But sure made it easier to tell that it was running.

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-01, 19:40

Quote:
Known about it.

McDon... Boeing's issue with the Max is a shame. Yes Boeing should have done a clean sheet design. Yes airlines do share some of the blame too. But I do love the Max. It solves all my issues with the NG with 2 added nitpicks...... The LEAP's take forever to start and they removed the EGT gauge for the APU. We are not required to monitor the APU EGT nor were we required to know the redline or anything. But sure made it easier to tell that it was running.
With all the jabber I've heard about Boeing not wanting to have to add any pilot recertification to the Max and all the steps they took to hide what they were doing, it's no small wonder they've bumped into trouble. They're tripping over dollars to pick up pennies, and it's costing them in terms of money and reputation.

Almost everywhere we fly in the U.S. is aboard a 737, and the silly things are decent planes (especially for being a billion years old ). That said, I think they would have been much better off replacing it with the 797 (or whatever they would have called it) and maybe saving a few hundred lives, billions of dollars in lost sales/down-time, and the cost to their reputation is just frightening. How anyone at Boeing above the level of "hey, you!*" still has a job is nuts!

MCAS, door bolts, engine de-icing troubles and exploding cowlings. You mean you fly those things?

And this: "McDon... Boeing's" … is one of the most misunderstood reasons for all this nonsense. Boeing took on MD's shareholder-first culture and it's broken the company. Too bad.

Edit: And a question for you: How did Boeing solve the MCAS issue? Did they just issue a software update, or did they add a second AOA sensor? Or what?

* Hyperbole

Last edited by kscherer : 2024-02-01 at 19:50.
Quagmire
meh

2024-02-01, 20:04

Quote:

Almost everywhere we fly in the U.S. is aboard a 737, and the silly things are decent planes (especially for being a billion years old ). That said, I think they would have been much better off replacing it with the 797 (or whatever they would have called it) and maybe saving a few hundred lives, billions of dollars in lost sales/down-time, and the cost to their reputation is just frightening. How anyone at Boeing above the level of "hey, you!*" still has a job is nuts!
Boeing was actually about to begin a 737 replacement back in 2011 once they were wrapping up the 787.... You know what happened around then? A320neo. Big 737 airlines( Ryan Air, SWA, AA) said, " We want that now, not 10 years from now. Also we want same type rating and no additional training". Thence the Max.....

Quote:
And this: "McDon... Boeing's" … is one of the most misunderstood reasons for all this nonsense. Boeing took on MD's shareholder-first culture and it's broken the company. Too bad.
It was MD's management that took over the merged company! Hence the joke that MD used Boeing's money to buy Boeing. Boeing's management didn't adapt MD's adage, it was literally MD's management that ran the company from then on!

Quote:
Edit: And a question for you: How did Boeing solve the MCAS issue? Did they just issue a software update, or did they add a second AOA sensor? Or what?
Software update and making the second AOA sensor standard. It was an additional cost option before and the cheap airlines decided to go with only one. But now you need both in agreement to trigger MCAS.

giggity