New Mac Pro and iMac, circa 2021

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Mac Pro and iMac, circa 2021
Page 1 of 12 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-24, 12:56

Well, rumors heat up.

Prosser thinks that the new Mac Pro will be something like 3 or 4 Mac Minis stacked on top of each other. I wonder about this, since the trashcan Mac Pro was a dud. Seems like this would be a backward move (again).

But!

Could it be that Apple is prepping the long awaited headless Mac? Maybe powered by an M1X? Something like a super-charged Mac Mini, while the actual Mac Pro is more like the current thing? Here's my dream-thinking thought:

The new Mac Pro Mini will come in the same footprint as the current Mac Mini. It will sport an M1X processor, 16GB of RAM (32GB optional), 512GB SSD (1TB - 8TB optional), and a bunch of port-thingy's. It will have a big fan and a much higher thermal envelope than the Mac Mini, and be twice as fast. At the same event, Apple will also announce the new 5K TB3 Display. The Mac Pro Mini will retail for $1999, and the display for $999. This system will replace the current iMac Pro in the lineup, leaving the actual Mac Pro as the last system to go ARM, and it will get the M2X Pro chipset sometime next year.

Or something. I don't know.

And fruity iMacs, again?

OK, I can get behind that, but oh the inventory hassle that will be.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-24, 13:21

Headless would be awesome. Especially if NOT the trashcan Pro. I think allowing for some expansion would be key though so headless alone isn't enough. The pic of the "box" doesn't provide much to go on other than the assumption that it will be headless.

The iMacs kinda look cool. Certainly a better form that the current line. Not sure about the bezel since I haven't seen a front looking shot yet.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-24, 13:45

If the Mac Pro Mini supports RAM upgrades and has a couple "slots" for SSD's, I think that will be good enough. Apple's M1 GPU is already a potent little thing, and the M1x 16-core version is likely to be on par with at least mid-tier desktop GPU's. I can't see much need for that particular box to be massively upgradeable. RAM and storage will cover the vast majority of user needs.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-02-24, 15:50

The M1 GPU is good for an IGP, not power user grade though. They’d have to up the anti, at least double the performance. Two or three NVMe drive slots on top of any built in chip would be good. 32-64GB of RAM would do the trick.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-24, 16:21

Rumor has it that the M1X will sport a 12 or 16-core GPU, which would very much up the ante. 12 cores would likely improve performance by 50%, and 16 by 100%. That could even be a BTO option.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-25, 09:12

The thing to remember about people who build their own systems is we want to be able to change our core parts since most remain good for years to come. GPUs will be antiquated in a matter of years where I can buy a new one in a customer built machine and give it more life rather than hitting the limits of an IGP.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-25, 12:05

If Apple does do a Mac Pro Mini, it isn't going to have a host of PCI slots for GPU upgrades. We will be lucky if RAM and SSD can be upgraded.

¡Damned!

2021-02-25, 13:25

Apple needs to figure out the PCIe/eGPU expansion chassis thing for these M[ ] machines then, because lack of external expansion is going to be a deal breaker in a lot of 'Pro' areas.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-25, 13:50

Yeah, I suspect that to be the case. I'm really hoping that Apple learned from the Mac Pro trashcan fiasco and understands that they need to cover that base. I'm convinced that they need to cover it at the Mac Pro level, but I'm not convinced at all with the Mac Pro Mini—if such a thing exists.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-02-26, 00:18

I don't see the market for the smaller Mac Pro unless Apple has decided to kill the iMac Pro.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-02-26, 04:43

The Mac midi might work if they price it at $2999 (maybe $3999) and replace the iMac Pro with it.

Of course, it would help if they had a compelling display story to go with that…
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-02-26, 10:24

The iMac Pro was a stop gap measure to slow the bleed of pro users, I don’t see it staying around long. It’s already a pointless purchase, the standard iMacs outclass them on performance unless you opt for the 18 core model.

At that price point ($2999) they’d really have to up the performance, and offer more than just basic BTO options. $2500 would be more reasonable for a pro mini. It doesn’t have a screen built in after all.
¡Damned!

2021-02-26, 10:41

Same, I think the iMac Pro is done. We'll get the new 21.5" iMac in green, blue, rose gold, and silver; and the new 27" in silver with an upcharge ($100?) for space gray.

So it goes.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-02-26, 10:52

I'm getting older, I wouldn't mind an even larger screen option! 30 or 32" in a 6K or 8K flavor...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-02-26, 11:01

I was under the impression that rumours were pointing to 32” and 24” models. I don’t think there are many 30” panels on the market, 32” is.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-02-26, 11:52

Yeah, I suspect a 24" and a 32" sized in enclosures quite close to the current setup, but more squarish in the back to reflect current design language. I also suspect that a Mac Pro Mini would replace the iMac Pro, and be introduced alongside an equivalent 32" "Pro" monitor in the $1000 range.

The 32" iMac will get the M1x (and will be in the $1800+ range) as will the Mac Pro Mini, and the 24" model will get the M1. I suspect the 24" model could have an option for the M1x, too.

This would be an exceptional lineup, as you could pick a pro-level all-in-one, or a pro-level headless for about the same price.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-02-26, 23:45

The rumour mill is starting to get a bit out of hand. We're now awaiting Apple to send us:

• A chinless, coloured iMac that jumps from 27" to 32" in one update.
• A MacBook Pro that removes the TouchBar, and adds back MacSafe, HDMI and the SD slot.
• A headless, midrange Mac and matching branded monitor that competes in price with their all-star iMac.

Look, I believe people can change in an instant on the Road to Damascus, but Apple's been fighting all three of these things tooth-and-nail, kicking and screaming for years now. Maybe the Apple Silicon thing has really changed the company DNA or Tim Cook has let up on being a hard-edged logistics guy and is just sitting in his home theatre all day watching unreleased Apple+ films.

I'm happy to be surprised, but maybe we should throttle back on what we expect to come this summer/fall.

Last edited by Frank777 : 2021-02-27 at 11:50.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-27, 01:26

I do fear that my hopes for an undercarriage lighting package for the new MacBook Pro is a bridge too far, and that I should temper my expectations, but gosh golly: it's been YEARS since I got excited about a release from Apple.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-02-27, 04:53

I haven’t seen any rumour suggesting new iMac screen sizes, I merely stated a preference for my aging eyes. And I don’t mind the chin at all. I kind of like it. It grounds the design and helps give it height. When matting a photo, it’s entirely appropriate to leave a heavier border on the bottom and often preferred. Many symmetrically matted photos can appear droopy in the frame. And I’ve found it to be an excellent spot for post it reminders!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-02-27, 11:55

Yeah, I've never understood the hate for the chin on the iMac. Doesn't affect the machine's usability at all.

Having to reach around to plug in a temporary card/cable is a much bigger issue. As is soldering in the SSD, and now the RAM.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-02-27, 15:14

I like the cleanliness of the rear I/O for stuff that’s connected all the time, like my second monitor, drives and card reader, but a little front mounted I/O wouldn’t offend the aesthetic, and it would make plugging in USB keys and headphones a lot easier too, or at the least hidden in the side edge so I don’t have to reach round back every time someone hands me a memory stick or I want to listen to music on my headphones.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-02-27, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I like the cleanliness of the rear I/O for stuff that’s connected all the time, like my second monitor, drives and card reader, but a little front mounted I/O wouldn’t offend the aesthetic, and it would make plugging in USB keys and headphones a lot easier too, or at the least hidden in the side edge so I don’t have to reach round back every time someone hands me a memory stick or I want to listen to music on my headphones.
Yup. Awkward for temporary things. You basically have to have an additional hub, especially if the back of your desk isn’t within easy reach.

(I’m not sure how well hacks like iMac clamp hubs work.)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-02-27, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yup. Awkward for temporary things. You basically have to have an additional hub, especially if the back of your desk isn’t within easy reach.

(I’m not sure how well hacks like iMac clamp hubs work.)
The clamp hubs look interesting, but I've never bought one for my iMac. I think it will interfere with the speakers, right?
chucker

2021-02-28, 04:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
The clamp hubs look interesting, but I've never bought one for my iMac. I think it will interfere with the speakers, right?
I worry they also impact cooling and stuff.

Would've been nice of Apple to have a sanctioned approach. (Remember when the right side was magnetic so you could easily attach your remote? Just do that for the bottom.)
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-03-03, 05:58

I've never really fixed the cable management problem at my desk, but perhaps now is a good time since I'll be working from home for at least a year or so. Typically, I use the iMac mainly for photo work, connected to a second 27" display and some external USB3 drives, and all the other crap and nest of wires sit behind the screens. for the last year (almost) I've had my work laptop also plugged into the second monitor during work hours and switch between the laptop keyboard and mouse and the iMac keyboard and mouse as needed. With photo work basically down to nothing, the iMac does little more than play background music/youtube/netflix, while I work on day job tedium. Photoshop and lightroom have only had a decent workout a handful of times since the pandemic began...

Now might be a good time to do some digital spring cleaning. What I want to do is organize and move my libraries to a large external HDD that would remain plugged in (8GB+) and also plug in a second external SSD for ingesting large active projects. My machine is a late 2013 iMac running 10.11.6 and CS6. It has two thunderbolt bidirectional (2X) 10Gb/s ports. One has the second monitor attached. My collection of external drives have all been USB3. Is there a good thunderbolt option for a port replicator, to put the HDD and SSD drives and perhaps some USB replication on one port and leave the second monitor on the other? Ay recommendations?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-03-03, 06:54

Could this thread be renamed to include the year? It's helpful for future searches

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-03, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Could this thread be renamed to include the year? It's helpful for future searches

Done.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-03-03, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I've never really fixed the cable management problem at my desk, but perhaps now is a good time since I'll be working from home for at least a year or so. Typically, I use the iMac mainly for photo work, connected to a second 27" display and some external USB3 drives, and all the other crap and nest of wires sit behind the screens. for the last year (almost) I've had my work laptop also plugged into the second monitor during work hours and switch between the laptop keyboard and mouse and the iMac keyboard and mouse as needed.
I could have sworn that the Mac press told me years ago that Ultra-wideband or something was going to get rid of all those cables.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-03-04, 09:07

That's still the dream, I guess. I haven't ever had a computer that didn't have a nest of wires attached to it. When I had PC towers. There were always a least three power cables (Printer, monitor, CPU), mouse, keyboard, speakers, data cables to printer and monitor. So as a rule, at least 8, and usually more thanks to thinks like scanners and zip drives, and other stuff people have long forgotten.

The cleanest desktop I ever used was the gumdrop iMac in my university office. It only had power and an ethernet cable. The nest of wires to a printer was elsewhere on the network! And, while it had a wired keyboard and puck mouse, the cords were sensibly laid out and not too long.

At home, wifi, Sonos, SmartTV and cheap wireless mutlifunction have cleaned a lot of I/O cabling. So there's some progress...

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-03-04, 11:59

The biggest problem is that all these wires and cables aren't adjustable.

It wouldn't be so bad if everything was the exact length it needs to be, but everyone's setup is different.