AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Spring media event

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Spring media event
Page 2 of 5 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-19, 16:22

It was that way forever. We had a brief period where computers were colors and now people act like it’s a must. Nah.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-19, 16:45

Unless they do that Flower Power thing, I ain't interested.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-19, 18:00

If they go Easter Egg I say that we drive up demand for pink computers. Let's do this, people.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-19, 19:33

Man, I almost forgot about the Flower Power and Blue Dalmatian iMacs. Those and the Indigo, Snow, Sage and Ruby, which all came after the big Fruit Age of 1998-2000. Those pattern iMacs hit 20(!) years ago, this past February! Where does the time go?

That was a fun era, those first years of the iMac.

That strawberry iMac was pretty much pink, just dark. But it certainly wasn't red, and definitely tilted toward the pinker end of things. Fender has a color called Shell Pink which is a lighter, pastel pink. In some weird way, that might've even been cool. But it would've been divisive, for sure. Muted, pastel pink is actually quite nice. It's that saturated, loud "Barbie" hue I'm not wild about.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-19 at 19:45.
¡Damned!

2021-04-19, 19:50

I kick myself for not picking up a sage iMac - really loved the look of that model. Still have a graphite SE with that fat & fancy 13GB HD.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-19, 21:05

I considered that Sage green the cousin of the Graphite...they were both muted, smoky in appearance (vs. fruity/vibrant or dense and nearly opaque, like Indigo, Ruby and Snow. If I was going to buy one from that particular lineup (Ruby, Indigo, Sage, Snow and Graphite), I think I would've gone for the Sage as well.

That is one handsome computer.

All this jellybean iMac discussion makes me want a tangerine, iMac-styled case for my white/silver iPhone SE (the subtle stripes, the frosting/translucent areas, the lickable, curved orange accents.

This, but tangerine.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-20, 01:07

Well no one seems to have spilled any beans so far. So I guess we'll see if the new iMacs make an appearance tomorrow.

Maybe the 'Spring Loaded' name could be a reference an Apple Pencil now being included with the new iPad Pros?
And now kept hidden inside the iPad Pro? Could there be space for that with the slightly bigger body?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 08:36

The more I think about it, and the nutty “consensus” rumors piling up the past 12-18 hours, it kinda wouldn’t surprise me at this point if this event is indeed all iPad and consumer-y stuff (iPads, watch bands, talk about that tracking/Find My stuff (whether or not Apple has any hardware offerings...I don’t think they do), maybe something on the Pencil front and, as of yesterday, some jobber-jabber about podcast subscriptions.

Those kinds of things could fill a presentation, especially once you add in the usual third-party demos and all.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-20, 08:39

I would love an included Pencil, but not going to buy anything new this cycle, except maybe a new mini for my wife since her screen is broken.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-20, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The more I think about it, and the nutty “consensus” rumors piling up the past 12-18 hours, it kinda wouldn’t surprise me at this point if this event is indeed all iPad and consumer-y stuff (iPads, watch bands, talk about that tracking/Find My stuff (whether or not Apple has any hardware offerings...I don’t think they do), maybe something on the Pencil front and, as of yesterday, some jobber-jabber about podcast subscriptions.

Those kinds of things could fill a presentation, especially once you add in the usual third-party demos and all.
I don't think they want the iPad Pro to be conceived of as "consumer". Especially not this revision — the Air just moved up in price, and has much of the Pro's feature set. They're gonna move the Pro further up, and make it even more of a "pro" product.

Also, were watch bands ever shown at any event (other than new watch band types)? New spring/fall revisions of bands usually just come as quiet press releases, no?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-20, 10:00

iPads aren't really getting "better", just more expensive at the top end. I hope the Pro goes up in price. That will make the Air a much better value and far easier to sell.

As I've said, what is an iPad anyway?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-20, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
iPads aren't really getting "better",
The big holdup is in software, not in hardware. The 2018/20 iPad Pro CPU is, if anything, overengineered.

That said, they could add further hardware capabilities, such as Thunderbolt, and maybe a second port. I also think it may be time for a 15-inch model.

Either way, they can't justify the Pro if it's so similar to the Air.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-20, 10:52

I don't think the processor was over-engineered. I think it was engineered for the Mac, and the Pro was just a test-bed and "top-secret" developer testing tool.

But, yes, the software doesn't feel finished. Oddly, it felt more "finished" with the first iPad than it does now. The closer the iPad gets in feature set to the Mac, the less finished it feels. When there was a much wider divide, the iPad seemed like a device with a sense of purpose. Now—with the Pro models at least—it feels like a solution looking for a problem.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 11:07

Of course they're not going to base an event around watch bands. But if they're having an event, and some new stuff is ready to go (spring, summer colors, etc.), then they might get a bit of play.

As for the iPad, everyone's got their own usage/needs. One man's MacBook Air is another's iPad (and vice versa). But I do find the thought of ~$1,000 iPads with "Pro" in their name a bit odd (and unasked for). Unless you're an artist of some sort, maybe using that pencil and truly wanting/needing a mobile, but freeform/hand-drawn platform, I can't think of any other reason for it to truly exist. Is the hand drawing, on-the-go artist market that large? Because the other "pros" I can think of - animation, video, 3D, music, imaging/retouching, etc. - are probably going to opt for a full on Mac of some sort.

Everyone else - surfing, texting, FaceTime, music-listening, reading, etc. - are more than served by the other three, lower/smaller iPads, aren't they? My honest, initial gut reaction to the iPod Pro was "who is this for, other than the traveling artist?"

People seem to want everything to be all things. They want a touch-screen Mac, they want an iPad that runs/works like a Mac, they want a phone that's as big as a tablet, they want a watch they can make Dick Tracy phone calls from, etc. It just seems, to this old school guy, that the farther we drift from each main product's original, true purpose/use, the muddier and more complex it's all getting. It's not really solving anything, and it sure as shit isn't simplifying stuff. The iPad, now, isn't intuitive. It takes learning (all that window stuff, etc.). The originals didn't. They were indeed a big iPhone, minus the phone part. And a lot of people had zero problem with that.

Like iPadOS...that spelled the "okay, fun time is over" thing for me. Congrats, you went and made the iPad something it probably didn't need to be, and, by all accounts, it still isn't as capable or robust as MacOS, so...why bother?

Apple seems to have developed, in recent years, a severe case of Allthingstoallpeopleitis. And I bet this thing in one hour does nothing to cure/address that. I hear the 12.9" iPod Pro is going up in price by a "modest" amount (Apple's definition of "modest" almost certainly differs from that of the entire planet), so by the time you get one of those, add one of those keyboard things and a Pencil, you're well into MacBook Air/Pro territory, cost-wise.

Again, unless you're an on-the-go artist type who absolutely has to sit in the garden, bus or park to express yourself, who is the iPod Pro for? What does it do, processor aside (which is easily addressed by throwing a better one in the Air, lower end model and the mini) that the others don't?

I always thought the iPad would be this sub-$700 thing that bridged the gap, size/performance-wise, between an iPhone and a full-tilt Mac. I was happy with it being primarily a consumption device. But somewhere along the way they figured it had to go head-to-head with the Mac. The MacBooks, in particular.

No, it doesn't. It really doesn't. The Mac already exists, and people, for the most part, are probably smart enough to figure out what they truly need for the things they want to do. I don't think iOS (and I'm including iPad here, the way it used to be) and MacOS ever need to "converge" or be more like the other. Adobe pulled this stunt with Illustrator and Photoshop over the years, making both so bloated and silly (Illustrator doing raster stuff, Photoshop doing vector stuff) that it's just a big cumbersome mud puddle. Last I checked, these applications nicely "see" each other, and import/export to one another just fine. Returning each more to their original roots, in terms of their overall function/reason to exist, sounds like a great idea to me.

Apple too.

But I know I'm pissing up a rope on that, and I'm about to be shown how much in another 90 minutes or so.

PS - I see the store is down, so something, hardware-wise, is getting released today. iPads, Pencils, AirPods, keychain tracker thingies, watchbands, product red HomePod mini, iPad socks (really big), Oprah iPhone cases, etc. Oh, and maybe iMacs (but I'm now firmly in the "nah...that's a WWDC thing" camp, as of last night).

And while it's not a live, in-front-of-an-audience event, I'm still trying to think of the musical guest they've tapped to warble a tune or two. I gotta go with Demi Lovato.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-20 at 11:34.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-20, 11:47

This pre-show is trippy.

The song currently playing is The Deep Blue by Itciezen.

On screen are continuous swiping curves, like a finger painting on a surface.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-20, 11:48

That's because it's an Apple Pencil thing.

And it's going to be really, really cool when Apple announces yet another Apple Pencil that is only compatible with a particular model of iPad.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-20, 12:11

Purple iPhone already has 2 people I know flipping out.

The AirTag commercial was funny – pricing?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 12:12

That campus is maintenance-free, huh? Looks like my backyard. I'm betting they imported in free-range rattlesnakes.

$29 on the AirTags. $1,979 for the Hermes collection.

PS - Those between-location transitions are always pretty cool. They should probably never go back to live, on-stage events/presentations. They're not gonna measure up, visually.

PS #2 - Everything seems to be happening on April 30.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-04-20, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I considered that Sage green the cousin of the Graphite...they were both muted, smoky in appearance (vs. fruity/vibrant or dense and nearly opaque, like Indigo, Ruby and Snow. If I was going to buy one from that particular lineup (Ruby, Indigo, Sage, Snow and Graphite), I think I would've gone for the Sage as well.

That is one handsome computer.
That Sage was beautiful. I loved the original Bondi Blue and that was the one I always wanted, but that Sage is nice. God, I remember holding the magazine pages of MacMall and daydreaming about the colorful Macs I'd want.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-20, 12:17

The new Apple TV is sweet.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 12:19

Oh shit, here we go...Tim talking about the M1. Way earlier than I expected. Hmmm...

HOLY COW.

I missed the shit out of this...new design, colors, etc. Wow. It's nice to see something new, I have to say.

First time in years I've gotten tingly over an iMac...

The guy in the turban(?) and green shirt bounces when he talks.

I'm kinda worrying about the price.

$1,299 and $1,499...not bad. I was afraid it would go up. Not sure I'd get a color, but they do look nicer than I ever imagined.

I can admit when I'm wrong.

Still gotta pay more than $1,500 to get 16GB RAM. The only bummer I can see...

I'll be interested in reading more about this once the site is updated.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-20 at 12:41.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-04-20, 12:25

I took lunch so I can liveblog and am returning to my habit of live product threads in the Apple Product forum for each new product! we can hype in here and detailed discussion in there. kscherer can love or hate me

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
¡Damned!

2021-04-20, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The new Apple TV is sweet.

That's probably my next Apple purchase unless the iPad mini or 30" iMac pops up in the next month.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-20, 14:00

I am having a hard time paying $100 for tags... but then again it would help Mrs T sooo much.

The improved AppleTV is a very nice upgrade... though I didn't see if it includes Thread.

I had to bail when they started talking about the iPad because of that whole "work" thing. I couldn't talk on the phone and watch so I just missed it. I'll catch up through the threads here I think.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-04-20, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
The improved AppleTV is a very nice upgrade... though I didn't see if it includes Thread.
Specs page says it does.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-20, 16:10

This makes it a great "hub" for Apple's HomeKit then.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-20, 16:14

I'm not immediately seeing how that Remote is an upgrade, but here's hoping.

I'm also hoping that no one at Apple ever seriously looks at the QWERTY keyboard and says "Let's make this simpler..."
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-20, 18:25

What is Thread??

Let Me Let You Google That For Me

¡Damned!

2021-04-20, 19:03

My understanding is that each device on a 'Thread' (basically a mesh network for your home) makes the network stronger and more reliable, as each acts as its own node, but all connected to the meshiness. Someone can probably explain it better than I.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-21, 07:50

If you're into home automation and have looked at other protocols like Z-Wave and ZigBee then it would make way more sense. Basically these are mesh networks that are independent of your wifi network. The fact that it is mesh means if something, like a light switch, goes bad, the whole mesh network doesn't go down. It just goes around different nodes. Here is a slightly more technical overview.

The next question might be, what goes through the network? Commands to take action (turn on light bulb) or read data (what is the temp in the living room, is there motion in the family room). If something needs to send data but the path is down because a component fails then it would just route around it. So it is considered self-healing, though you still have to replace the failed component.

The introduction of Thread into the AppleTV mean once Apple and others actually begin truly implementing it we won't have to wait for a new device. It also means people who don't want a speak/mic in their home (Frank777), like HomePod mini, they can have the AppleTV instead to serve as their HomeKit hub allow remote notifications and control.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.