User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What whiskey are you drinking right now?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What whiskey are you drinking right now?
Page 2 of 9 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-07-21, 04:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I'm working on a bottle of Makers Mark right now, nothing too fancy either. Admittedly.
I still love Maker's but after having something like Redbreast, it seems downright harsh...and we all know Maker's is one of the smoothest young bourbons out there.

I'd rank Maker's second to Basil Hayden's among bourbons when poured neat.
Edna Crabtree

2009-07-21, 10:52

Back from Ireland, picked up a Connemara 12 yr. peated single malt, and Jameson special reserve, both hard for me to find here stateside.

adambrennan, if you are out there, our family was lucky enough to stumble into a private tour of Tayto castle.., we showed up Friday pm. after a long drive from Limerick via Dublin. Although the workers were off, management was still around, and one of the guys was kind enough to show everything off for us. The Irish are some of the friendliest people I've ever met..., Northern Ireland is beautiful, and when I go back, I'll focus on that region. Drove over 1000 km.

Waiting for cold winter weather to open the whiskey. Maker's Mark until the fall.
bostongeek

2009-07-21, 19:44

I am a huge fan of The Glenlivet 15 Year Old French Oak Reserve.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2009-12-04, 14:20

Connemara Cask Strength. Tried it at a bar a few weeks ago and really liked. The LCBO just started carrying it this week. Hurrah!

You'd never now it was 57% alcohol - it's so damn smooth.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-12-04, 14:22

A rye, but I'm picked up a bottle of Old Overholt for sipping tonight.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2010-06-14, 06:41

Doing a few comparisons at the moment. Balvenie 14 v Balvenie 15. Both very smooth. Maybe too smooth? The 12 had a kick that made you take notice.

Note: Buy 12 and compare. Bowmore 15 kicking around at work - misappropriate (for comparisons sake!)

Investigate rum. Good rum. Caramalised arse we grew up on may just be that - arse.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-06-14, 07:05

Ah, I must have missed this thread. My single malt of choice is Lagavulin.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-06-14, 08:02

Friend from Dublin brought me a bottle of Connemara as a gift. Must say it's quite tasty.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2010-06-15, 01:12

Connemara is very good, especially the cask strength. Nice and peaty!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-06-15, 01:42

Well, I'm a country boy and I've been engaged in a battle with Jack the last few months. It's been a fun fight though.
beardedmacuser

2010-06-15, 06:27

The wife and I recently stopped-by Loch Ewe Distillery when we were passing the other month. It's the smallest legal distillery in the country where the friendly guy who runs it tries to recreate the ethos of illicit whiskey makers. He has to comply with a number of H&S and customs regulations, but after that he tries to improvise as much as possible using objects and kitchen utensils lying around, just like illicit whiskey makers would have had to do. For example, he ferments whiskey in a plastic wheelie bin; just the right size, easy to get hold of and easy to clean. He can’t actually call it whiskey as if I recall correctly it has to be matured for at least three years in casks before it can be sold as whiskey.

It was surprising how much barley flavour was present in the distilled spirit, and we bought a little bottle of “whiskey” he’d matured for a few months in a cask pre-soaked in dark rum. It was quite tasty, not at all peaty as the malted barley he buys contains no peat particles at all, and you could taste the rum which made for an interesting change.

More information for those curious...
Loch Ewe Whisky Distillery, Aultbea, Scotland
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-06-15, 07:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Well, I'm a country boy and I've been engaged in a battle with Jack the last few months. It's been a fun fight though.
You may be a country boy, but are you a nice red blood American country boy cow boy average every day nice American boy christen country boy?

Because if not, you're kicked off the best friends bus. For lyfe.

/injokes!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-08-23, 22:24

Picked up a bottle of Oban 14-year-old based on an old post by midwinter.

I was expecting more. Seems a little light-bodied for a Highland whisky, a very slight peat flavor (barely noticeable) and a hint of spice. Finishes with a lasting honey aftertaste.

For the most part I like smoothness of the Speyside malts (Macallan Fine Oak comes to mind), may try Balvenie 15-year or the 12-year-old Double Wood next.

edit: Actually one I really want to try is VAT 69 since it's so popular in fiction.

Last edited by Eugene : 2010-08-24 at 02:06.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-08-24, 09:45

I am not a big fan of hard liquor, but can anyone tell me... do these top whiskey's like Jamison (which I've heard about) make Jack Daniels look like Budweiser (i.e. swill)? It took me a while just to like Jack Daniels enough to have couple tastes of my wife's old favorite (Jack and Coke). But it's still nasty. Is the "good stuff" sort of like those stories you hear about "good Tequila" where it's super smooth and doesn't have that nasty taste you get with Quervo and all the advertised brands? (Oh this reminds me of something... heading now to the "ads I hate" page...)

...into the light of a dark black night.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-08-24, 12:18

If you don't like spirits, you don't like 'em. Whiskies, Scotches in particular are highly varied in taste so there might be one you'd find palatable I guess. In general if you want something without extra flavors imparted, I would stick to bourbon, Canadian whiskey and Irish whiskey.

Jack Daniels in particular has that burnt wood taste and a rather noticeable phenolic character to it.

Bottles of Jameson Original aren't going to be much more expensive than JD. Most distilleries have stuff between $20-$100 per 750mL, and then special reserves that go up from there.

For scotches, someone looking to try their first single-malt might want to try something like Glenkinchie, Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. Even safer are blended scotches like Johnnie Walker that won't really have overpowering flavors at all (I would pass on Red Label though.)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-08-24, 13:52

Yah. Sounds almost as complicated as wines. I'll stick to beer and Pinot... but I am NOT drinking any FUCKIN MERLOT!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2010-08-24, 13:58

Johnnie Walker Red. By the handle. I found it at Costco for $25 a handle. It beats the hell out of Jack.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2010-08-24, 18:03

Macallan 12. Probably moving up to 18 when I kill this bottle.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-08-24, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
For the most part I like smoothness of the Speyside malts (Macallan Fine Oak comes to mind), may try Balvenie 15-year or the 12-year-old Double Wood next..
The Balvenie 21-yr Portwood is heavenly. That and The Macallan Cask Strength are my wife's two favorites. I prefer The Macallan 18 over the Cask most days, but that's just me being picky.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-08-24, 20:51

I think I mentioned this earlier, but my go-to Scotch is Lagavulin 16-yr. I love the intense peat flavor.
Boomerangmacuser

2010-08-24, 22:54

I've been nursing a bottle of Glenlivet 12 that I got for my 40th birthday. Cheap bastard friend couldn't have sprung for a 40yr????

I kid... it would have been lost on me. I'm no single malt expert but yes, some people take whiskey as seriously as wines. And can pay as much.
JohnnyTheA

2010-08-25, 00:48

Scotch varies a lot. If you have never had a sip of scotch do NOT drink Laphroaig. It, and other heavily-into-peat scotchs will seem REALLY nasty. It is like drinking some kind of cleaner that you might use to clean auto parts. Some people are really into that corner of the scotch world. But they really should come up with some other name for it...

Go with Johnnie Walker Black. You cannot go wrong. If you want to try single malts, go for a MacAllan or Glenlivet. I personally like ones that are sherry aged the last year or two of their aging. Balvenie is a good one for this.

What I have NOT done, is buy a really expensive bottle of the older stuff. Has anyone every bumped up beyond 14-or-so year old scotch? It is SO expensive but I want to know if there is really that big of a taste difference.

One option is to buy trader joes scotch labels. They will buy their own casks from say... MacAllan and bottle their own. Sort of a "Trader Joes / MacAllan" label. They are much cheaper but MAY not be as good as the real thing. I don't drink enough to know the difference really. I have seen 16 year old bottles for like $40. Not bad...

One last thing. If you are new to scotch, throw an ice cube in your glass. Don't try any of that fancy "neat" drinking until you get used to it. I prefer scotch and ice because as the ice melts, the scotch slowly gets diluted. Some scotchs have a certain point of dilution where they taste best. Every sip is a slightly different drink.

JTA
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-11-11, 13:40

The thing about Laphroaig is that it's so peaty, if you drink it neat, I find it actually coveres up the alcohol burn in grainier whiskies.

Along the lines of Trader Joes branded Macallan. Costco is doing the same thing and selling 15/16/17/18yr bottlings of scotch originally distilled by Macallan. The difference is they transfer the spirit from oak to sherry casks late in the "sleep" period to impart some extra fruitiness/sweetness and less of that "Fine Oak" taste you'd expect. The 15yr is around $50. The 18yr is impossible to find, but it's usually priced $80-90. The sherry finish makes them excellent for beginners I think.

Not for beginners. I was recently given a bottle of Johnny Walker Green, which is pretty much a blend of Diageo's 4 most distinctive single malts. The only way to describe it is flavor explosion. It's like, "Here have some peat! Now some fruit, a lot of fruit! MORE FRUIT! And now a spicy kick to finish...then nothing." I'll definitely be cutting my drams with a teaspoon of water or maybe even an ice cube for a while.

Eugene
careful with axes

2010-11-27, 01:54

We finished our Thanksgiving dinner with Massenez Creme de Fraise des Bois drizzled on chiffon cake, then some sips of the following.

(Can't remember the name of) Cognac, but a whole vanilla bean was added to the bottle at some point to give it some extra sweetness.
Baron de Sigognac 20yr Armagnac
Dalwhinnie 15yr Scotch
Macallan 18yr Fine Oak Scotch

The Dalwhinnie was very dry, with an almost briny taste coming foward and just a touch of peat. Very light and subdued. Not my style.

The Macallan 18yr Fine Oak is hard to find here, so this was my first taste. I definitely prefer it to the Sherry Oak fills, as it's rounded off a little by the bourbon barrels. Still sickly sweet and fruity, but the finish was buttery smooth. I *hope* the 15yr expression is nearly as good, because if not I may be drinking a lot of the 18yr from here on out.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-12-19, 10:08

Just got this as a gift. Apparently it's made from the very first distillate to come out of the new Bruichladdich. From other people's experiences, it's apparently very savory and vegetal. It's frightening...I doubt I'll ever reach for the bottle unless the power goes out and my flashlight is out of batteries.

Last edited by Eugene : 2010-12-19 at 10:20.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2010-12-19, 10:44

Finishing up:

1. Oban 14 year
2. Talisker 20 year
3. Highland Park (no year--was a gift)

Just finished my 2 bottles of 1974 Glenrothes. If you have not tried any of their scotches, I highly recommend them, especially around the holidays as they have a nice finish.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-12-19, 11:30

I'd never had bourbon before this month, but the Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry is nice, but so spicy-feeling I can't have more than a few sips of it at a time. But man, is it good on food; we've had bourbon steak, bourbon shrimp, and bourbon-and-brown-sugar soaked pineapple (that one is like the best dessert ever!) I'm now an addict to bourbonized food.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-01-01, 00:49

A rare-ish malt for NYE. This is the strongest whisky I've ever had, yet I was able to drink it neat and preferred it that way.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-01-01, 14:58

My wife and I are big Laphroaig fans. While some can't take its 'peaty-ness' I actually find it somewhat restrained and much better balanced than a few of the new extra peaty single malts out there. Sometimes adding just "more" of something (in this case peat) does not mean "better". I suppose that some might say that about Laphroaig itself, but I do find its overall flavour balance to be just about ideal.

In any event, I received a bottle of the Laphroaig Small Cask (overproof) for Christmas from my wife. Despite the high alcohol, it is smoother and even better balanced than the Laphroaig standard label. Wow is it good.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2011-01-03, 19:00

Laphroaig too. 30yr old. V Cool. :-)