User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What whiskey are you drinking right now?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What whiskey are you drinking right now?
Page 7 of 9 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-08, 15:21

WESTWARD AMERICAN SINGLE MALT STOUT CASK!

Some of the best whiskey I've ever tried. And they ship!

I just had a dude's weekend with a friend and he brought a bottle. It's pretty rare that I try something that I just have to have, especially at $90. But as soon as I got home I got on their website, sorted out that they ship, and ordered a bottle for my bar. Man, it's good stuff.

And I love that these guys don't stamp "Bourbon" on their bottles. They're not trying to ride on someone else's hard-built name. They've struck out on their own with a premium whiskey that is just plain amazing. I plan on ordering one of each as soon as the funds permit, which God willing, will be later this summer.

I think a couple of you crazies live in/near Portland and I recommend you visit a tasting room or just find a bottle for your stash. If not, they do ship to some of these United States*.

* Stupid and archaic prohibition-era liquor laws make me want to puke!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-06-08, 19:12

Well I'm just drunk enough to order one and find out so let's do this.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-08, 22:42

Do it!

If you're disappointed, I'll give you my address.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-06-09, 01:54

If you like American single malts, check out Rua. Out of North Carolina I believe. Very tasty. I’m not normally a single malt guy but I like this one from time to time.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2021-06-09, 05:49

Out of interest what is the etymology of the word "rua" ? And does it have context regarding the whiskey?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-06-09, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
If you like American single malts, check out Rua. Out of North Carolina I believe. Very tasty. I’m not normally a single malt guy but I like this one from time to time.
I haven't seen that one anywhere but I'll keep an eye out. My go-to for American single malts is Stranahans, local here to Denver. I'm also a big fan of Tin Cup, which is made by the same guy behind Stranahans but lower proof and much less expensive, a great choice on the rocks.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-06-09, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
Out of interest what is the etymology of the word "rua" ? And does it have context regarding the whiskey?
From their website:

Quote:
Rúa is Gaelic for "Red Head", an apt name for this richly hued American Single Malt Whiskey. Rúa is hand-crafted from only three ingredients: 100% Organic & Non-GMO Two-Row Pilsner Barley, exceptionally pure spring water from the North Carolina Blue Ridge Mountains and yeast. That’s it, no additives of any kind are added.

Getting its color from aging in Char No.3 American White Oak barrels, it carries the expected notes of vanilla and caramel. These are complemented by a very full body, notes of fresh baked bread and praline, with a long, sweet finish. It's instantly enjoyable, and a standout among American craft-distilled whiskeys.
PRODUCT INFORMATION
92 Proof / 46% ABV
Distilled, Aged and Bottled in Charlotte, NC
Patiently aged in Charred American White Oak Barrels
100% Organic & Non-GMO Malted Two-Row Pilsner Barley
Patiently aged in 25 Gallon Char #3 American White Oak Barrels from Kelvin Cooperage in Louisville, KY
Crafted with exceptionally pure spring water from the North Carolina Blue Ridge Mountains
Ever so slightly filtered using a paper filtration process rather than the more invasive process of chill filtering.
No coloring or flavoring of any kind added to the finish. We stand by the quality of ingredients in our whiskey

TASTE PROFILE
Nose: Peach, Caramel, and Cherry
Palate: Full-bodied. Rich and smooth with a hint of sweet vanilla and toffee
Finish: A long sweet finish that pleasantly lingers with just a touch of spicy heat
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2021-06-10, 01:33

Thanks for that. Rua is also Maori for "two", so was wondering if there was a kiwi connection...

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-11, 15:39

Woot! My happy little bottle of Westward just arrived. Portland, Oregon whisky shipped from California. My guess is because of interstate liquor distribution BS.

Or something.

Either way, gonna let the wife try it tonight, have one myself, and put the bottle up on the Top Shelf™.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-06-11, 20:05

Friday is my big bourbon night. I do a big Zoom virtual happy hour with my national bourbon group. There's usually about 20 of us at any time that hop on. Runs from 9est until like 3-4, whenever the west coasters quit.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-06-13, 23:54

Alright, this is damn good stuff.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-06-14, 08:27

Today is National Bourbon Day, apparently. I have a bottle of Buffalo Trace to finish.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-14, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Alright, this is damn good stuff.
Did you get it, already?

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Today is National Bourbon Day, apparently. I have a bottle of Buffalo Trace to finish.
Not a fan, actually. A bit too much corn-on-the-cob going on for me. Not that I don't like Buffalo Trace, it's just a bit too "corny" for me as an everyday sipper. That they are also responsible for Eagle Rare, which is awesome, is surprising. Still, there's a whiskey for everyone.

Speaking of which, I really wanted to try Eagle Rare but couldn't find it within a hundred miles of Boise. Back in March I was in Portland visiting a friend and the wives found it at the local liquor store, so got a bottle. It was amazing, so amazing that I asked my buddy to grab me as much as he could find, which was three bottles, or two more than could be found in the entire state of Idaho at the time. We decided to have a men's weekend and a "meet in the middle" in Pendleton, and we each Brought a couple bottles with us. I brought Uncle Nearest 1856 and Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof, and he brought Westward Stout Cask and Burnside "Bourbon".

And that is how I got Westward into my collection.

So, there is a funny little link (for me) between Buffalo Trace and Westward.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-06-14, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Did you get it, already?

Nice!
Yup, arrived Sunday.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-14, 11:57

Nice? Sounds like you're enjoying it?

I'm personally blown away that a few whiskey novices created such a brilliant bottle with so little experience behind them. I mean, they were all brewers so they at least knew how to melt seeds into goodies, but still.

And to hit that premium, top-shelf segment and nail it? Just

I'm not gonna spend $90 on a bottle of whiskey unless it's worth $90!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2021-06-14, 13:09

I like Eagle Rare.

I'm interested in this whisky you guys are discussing but...I live in the frozen North and so there's no access up here.

I heard some good stuff about these guys in Brooklyn: https://www.kingscountydistillery.com

Any experiences with them? I'm visiting New York next year and may swing by if it's worth it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-14, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm interested in this whisky you guys are discussing but...I live in the frozen North and so there's no access up here.
Dude, if you know someone south of the border and can get across, make the arrangements. It's rare that I will sing so loudly for a distillery (especially an almost-new-from-the-ground-up that I had never even heard of before) but Westward Stout Cask is worth it!

Every.

Damned.

Penny!

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-06-14, 21:44

Quote:
Nice? Sounds like you're enjoying it?

I'm personally blown away that a few whiskey novices created such a brilliant bottle with so little experience behind them. I mean, they were all brewers so they at least knew how to melt seeds into goodies, but still.

And to hit that premium, top-shelf segment and nail it? Just

I'm not gonna spend $90 on a bottle of whiskey unless it's worth $90!
So far I'm loving it, but could do with a little less honey flavor on the end.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-15, 10:45

Well, I'm glad you're liking it. Good to know I didn't steer you to a turd!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-15, 15:34

Quote:
* Stupid and archaic prohibition-era liquor laws make me want to puke!
I checked and my state is one where we can't get it delivered. We can buy it from gas stations, but not get it delivered.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-15, 15:42

LOL

Like I said, there are some archaic, prohibition-era laws in play.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-15, 18:43

Apparently I have voiced my love for Westward Stout Cask quite loudly about the house. So, I've just learned—because that's just the way it is—that my wife has ordered me a bottle of Westward American Single Malt Pinot Noir Cask for Father's Day!

This makes me very happy.

Edit: I'm doing another podcast with my friend in a week (I think) and plan on taking both with me, and will be tasting the PN Cask for the first time on that night.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-06-16 at 16:39.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-07, 17:05

Okay, it's time to post this. The story is on the website.

I built a bar, and I'm going to start doing a blog, hopefully on a weekly basis. Tasting notes, critiques, blathering while drunk. You know the drill.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-07-07, 19:17

Those JDBP SiB are money. I have a few different ones myself. If you ever get the chance to get the rye, do it. Never saw them here in Ohio. Got one from a buddy in VA. They're going for stupid money.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-07, 19:46

Wow! This is so cool Ken!!!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-07, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Those JDBP SiB are money. I have a few different ones myself. If you ever get the chance to get the rye, do it. Never saw them here in Ohio. Got one from a buddy in VA. They're going for stupid money.
I actually have a small bottle of the Rye. Of those three, it's the one on the left. And that Barrel Proof is spot-on good stuff. It's absolutely wonderful, but a bit like swallowing a mouthful of goat-heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Wow! This is so cool Ken!!!

Thanks, Drew. It's been a fun project.

_Ω_
Veteran Member

2021-07-08, 04:05

If you are going to review things like the Aberlour A'bunadh then make sure you specify the batch that you drunk. Scotch nerds are particular...

Also the Scots spell it Whisky, lose the "e"

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-08, 10:52

1) Batch labeling is important. The numbers are right there on the label, not just with Abelour, but also the Four Roses and others in my collection.

2) The Scots can suck it! I live in 'Murica.

I just published My write-up for Old Rip Van Winkle.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-07-09 at 22:29.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-09, 22:22

I don't know how often I'm going to do this, but I'm having fun with it.

Here's my Four Roses Single Barrel write-up.

And a link to my Westward American Single Malt Stout Cask write-up.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2021-07-14, 14:40

Have y’all tried the Woodford Double Oaked? The marzipan and vanilla really pop, it’s one of my favorite available sippers are the moment.