User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 85 of 104 First Previous 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-24, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-25, 04:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
This past week I have been watching the Fast & Furious franchise.

I have studiously avoided it for years but decided to bite the bullet.

These movies are utter garbage, but they're FUN garbage in the way that only summer movies can be.

Fast cars, hot women, wooden acting, ridiculous plots, insane driving.

NPR has a piece about it called 'Fast & Furious' Owner's Manual: A Guide As The Best Worst Franchise Turns 20 that really nails what's fun about the entire franchise.

If you're looking to break your routine, I recommend this shit.

Just finished FF8 last night and this quote from Wikipedia sums it all up:

"The film received mixed reviews from critics, many of whom praised the performances and action sequences, but deemed the film unnecessary. The film grossed over $1.2 billion worldwide..."

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-25, 07:38

“Uh, what’s ‘necessary’, Mr. Critic, is my yacht - and all them big-tittied womens on it. You can go fondle Citizen Kane and leave me to my millions.” - the director of (and anyone involved in) a F&F flick.

They can’t all be art. Sometimes you gotta drive a lime green car with a four-foot spoiler really fast for no apparent reason.

There’s room for all kinds. For every 12 Years a Slave there’s gotta be a Jo-Jo’s Krazy Kar Wash IV: the Knob Polish Chronicles.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-25, 18:02

Speaking of “hanging it up”…

Another one?!

What hasn’t not been said about this character - and those in his orbit - after four-plus decades?!

Who watches this stupid shit after the first one, maybe two, entries? Jamie Lee Curtis is the female Harrison Ford. Older, greyer and can’t/won’t stop playing in that tired, worn-out sandbox that nobody could possibly be wanting or asking for at this point.

Talk about pointless…

PS - Stupidest trailer I’ve ever seen. He took on/killed an entire fire department? Did they, like a Bond or Batman villain, just stand around and waiting on their turn to get their ass kicked, instead of all rushing him and beating him, and his stupid mask, senseless? I'm not super familiar with the franchise (only watched the first one, which is genuinely creepy/unsettling and a good movie), but is there a supernatural aspect to all this? Can he not be killed, by anything?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-06-25 at 18:17.
¡Damned!

2021-06-25, 20:05

I swear on my ancestors graves, if Jaws gets a total reboot I will personally burn Universal Studios to ash.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-06-25, 20:22

I'm re-watching Hunt for Red October tonight. Still a great film.

But also hard to believe they cast Tim Curry in that role, or that this is the same Alec Baldwin that went on to play Jack Donaghy in 30 Rock.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-25, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I swear on my ancestors graves, if Jaws gets a total reboot I will personally burn Universal Studios to ash.
And I'll help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm re-watching Hunt for Red October tonight. Still a great film.

But also hard to believe they cast Tim Curry in that role, or that this is the same Alec Baldwin that went on to play Jack Donaghy in 30 Rock.
I just watched this - again - last weekend. It is a great movie, full of great performances. Easily Alec Baldwin's best, IMO. And possibly my favorite Connery role as well. And then toss in James Earl Jones, Sam Neill, Scott Glenn, Courtney B. Vance, Tim Curry, Stellan Skarsgård(!) and Fred Thompson ("This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it!"). He was my favorite DA on Law & Order, and I always enjoyed his performances (and accent).

It's a great movie. Just enough humor/lightness, when needed, to keep it interesting. But very tense, especially the first time you see it (when the subs are firing at each other and trying to evade the torpedos..."he's turning into the torpedo!").

"Yeshh...".

The whole thing about how Ryan figures out what Ramius' intentions are, and trying to get others on board and getting them to believe. The periscope scene where they're "talking".

"One ping only, please."

That's one of those movies that, if I'm ever just flipping around and I see playing (TNT, Sundance, AMC, etc.), chances are I'm gonna stop and watch.

"'... and the sea will grant each man new hope, as sleep brings dreams of home.' Christopher Columbus."

"Welcome to the new world, sir."

Yeah, I'm a fan. Saw it in the theater upon original release (twice) and about 6,780 times on cable since. I wish Baldwin had stayed in the role. Once Ford took over on the two follow ups, they just became Harrison Ford movies. No slam, but that just comes with a lot of baggage/overhead. I can't help but see Han Solo and Indiana Jones. Baldwin, at the time, wasn't as high profile and it was easier to buy him in that role, IMO.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-06-26 at 07:58.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-06-27, 21:17

Agreed re: Baldwin. Harrison wasn't bad as Jack Ryan, there's just too much baked into him as an actor. Ben Affleck was okay and literally nobody even remembers that fifth one.

And now we've got John Krasinski? Sorry, it just doesn't work. Compared to the earlier films, the TV show is flat and one-dimensional. Granted, I don't think that all comes down to the actor.

Not related to any of this, but Amazon keeps showing me ads for their new Chris Pratt movie and can everyone just stop casting that guy already? He's a downright lousy actor. He's got two modes: looking stupid and trying-to-look-serious-but-mostly-seasick and neither of them work.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-27, 22:31

Yeah, he's one of those actors whose fame/popularity I can't figure out at all. Now he's married into that Kennedy/Schwarzenneger crowd, so expect some sort of crazy-ass scandal in the coming years (likely centering around him banging someone he shouldn't, with or without their consent; seems to be a running theme in that bunch).

Yeah, he's just...goofy and unappealing as can be to this viewer. Those recent Jurassic World movies are unwatchable to begin with, but his presence/involvement certainly doesn't help one bit either. He's the reason I never sat down to watch those Guardians of the Galaxy movies. They could've put anyone else in that role - up to, and including, Owen Wilson or Chris Tucker - and I would've watched.

But Chris Pratt? Nah...ain't interested.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-06-28, 06:11

I first encountered Crisp Rat on Parks & Rec and his performance was delightful. That was a weird show and it took me several episodes to catch its vibe. By the time it was over I had a great feeling about the entire cast, and so his performance in the Marvel Guardians films was an upgrade on his performance. I haven’t seen him in anything that requires a stronger performance yet.

Over-saturation is a risk that all actors face if they pick up heat, and we know that complaints like the ones being made here are not uncommon.

I would still risk it if it were me, because the potential payout provides security to a VERY insecure workplace. Actors don’t get promotions for “years served with the company”. They’re like athletes; get it while you can, until you’re used up and replaced by the new hotness that’s always coming at you.

I think that Krasinski was great in The Office, but I don’t know that I can believe him as Jack Ryan. Suppose I should give it a chance?

Agree that Red October is one of those “perfect” films from top to bottom.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-28, 07:36

I didn’t know The Office guy was playing Jack Ryan now. The last I heard/was aware of, it was Chris Pine from Star Trek and Wonder Woman. That might’ve been the one Ryan said nobody remembers.

Kinda Bond (or Batman)-like in that several actors, five to my knowledge, have portrayed the character.

I just recently saw that movie where the family lived in the woods and had to be quiet or monsters would appear and attack. Krasinski was good in that, I thought. He directed and co-wrote the screenplay, so that’s pretty cool. And his wife in the movie is his actual wife, I read. The man was hitting on all cylinders on that project. Triple-duty on set, and got to go home with the pretty leading lady every night!

EDIT: Eh, nobody cares about Lawrence, Lebeouf, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-06-28 at 08:31.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-29, 13:49

Uh-oh...Sopranos prequel incoming, October 1.

I love - loved - the show. I'm a fan of this genre, period, but that show just took it to a whole new level (and far funnier than anyone would ever assume; I've laughed harder at parts of The Sopranos than any sitcom or alleged "comedy" movie I've ever seen).

But, man...this looks really iffy. The on-screen text is so hammy/corny (the "legends" bit, etc.). It looks like something a fan would throw together and it's just obvious/heavy-handed.

I've got an overall problem with prequels (gee, I wonder why?) because, more often than not, they monkey with how the originals come across or are perceived. Or, at their worst, cause you to re-think or undo everything you loved or assumed was good/right about the original (and not in a good way).

I think The Sopranos was such a well-made show, my gut just tells me that anything seeking to monkey with that can't be good. I just don't know how a single two-hour movie could possibly stand alongside all those episodes and depth.

It reminds me of A Bronx Tale, almost parody levels of "Italian mafia" tropes.

I'll be conflicted, come October. But I think I've learned my lessons over the years, re: prequels (and sequels ) and will probably do myself a favor and just skip this and remain clueless about young Tony Soprano.

The article points out that young Paulie and Silvio will also be in the mix, so it's probably going to be one of those "we gotta throw everything in to explain everything" undertakings.

Oh, and there's Ray Liotta. Gee, I'm shocked.

The one positive I see, right off the bat, is the presence of my sweetie, Vera Farmiga. How she'll play the unlikable shrew Livia Soprano, in her younger years, almost piques my interest.

Almost.

She's one of my favorite actresses, but I don't know if that'll be enough.

Thoughts? Any fellow Sopranos fans here? I don't think we've ever really talked about it, and it's such an iconic show.

I've come to believe, over the past 10-15 years, that not everything needs to be shown or explained. That glut of prequels that came out in the 2000's for so many properties...did any of them actually help, or improve anything? I don't think so. I can't recall any that did. It became such a trend to go back and do the "we're gonna show how so-and-so came to be" 15-20 years ago, and, IMO, it did more harm than good.

So, while I should, I can't get excited about this because the show, and those performances, are so locked in. How do you recapture that lightning? Chances are you don't/can't.

And, frankly, with the absence of James Gandolfini, this just seems a little sad/bittersweet to me.

I know it's a trite, overused phrase, but I can't help but feel a bit "too soon" about it all.

Oh well, nobody consults me on any of this shit, so whaddya gonna do?

EDIT: two things that kinda encapsulate all the above.

This SNL parody of a Sopranos prequel (set in 80's high school) kinda plays about like I'd expect such a movie to do.

And, to better illustrate my unease at prequels, Here's Patton Oswalt helping to explain why. I agree with everything he says.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-30, 14:10

Ford's shoulder injury will delay production of the fifth Indy movie for three months.

¡Damned!

2021-06-30, 14:29

I think the years have finally surpassed the mileage, honey. Time to hang it up Mr. Ford.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-06-30, 14:49

No doubt.

Oh, well. I wasn't waiting, anyway, so what's three more months?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-03, 01:39

I finally saw Tenet. It was more fun than I expected. Yes, the sound mix was absolute shit. No, I don’t need to see it again. Time travel is almost always dumb at the end of the day. Good on them for trying.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-03, 02:24

Yeah, I was kind of surprised at how... pedestrian it was. I kept hearing it was this huge mindbender, and it was... obvious? Dunno.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-03, 02:59

Christopher Nolan movies usually leave me with a “WTF did I just watch?!” headache. I can feel them trying so hard to be deep and clever. They’re just a chore to deal with.

I loved the first Batman entry and the one with Al Pacino and Robin Williams in Alaska. Other than those two, I can’t say I’m a fan.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-07-03, 09:48

You didn't like Dark Knight?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-03, 12:13

It hasn't aged well with me, no. I don't like it, or the one that came after it. I love Batman Begins, however. Just not the other two.

I know...blasphemy! Neckbeard heresy! Burn him!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-03, 23:34

If you have HBO Max take a look at No Sudden Move. It's a period piece by Steven Soderergh, starring Don Cheadle and Benecio Del Toro. It gets a tad muddled in parts but overall it's a tight little film.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-04, 11:40

I really like both of those actors. They were great in Traffic. Hey, wait a minute...Soderbergh, again. I'll try to find a way to catch this. I think my Mom has HBO Max through her AT&T stuff (iPhone or Uverse). She was talking about it a few weeks ago.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-04, 22:04

PSA: Amazon just added Patton to Prime streaming.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-04, 22:46

“I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.”

When those are the opening lines to the movie, you know you’re in for a ride.

I love this movie. I saw it as a kid with my grandparents at a drive-in. I remember being fascinated with the tanks and the overall sound. I was very little and watched from the backseat. Then, slightly older I saw the Mad magazine parody and was like “yep, nailed it.” Then throughout my teens and 20’s I’d watch it on cable. One of those “watch every 4-5 years” movies for me. I always liked Karl Malden’s performance as well, as General Bradley.

George C. Scott told the Oscars to get bent. He won best actor and refused to accept.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-04, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I always liked Karl Malden’s performance as well, as General Bradley.
His part is as much to serve as Patton's conscience as his deputy commander.

"I do know that you're gambling with the lives of those boys just so you can beat Montgomery into Messina. And if you pull it off you're a big hero but if you don't? What happens to them, the ordinary combat soldier. He doesn't share in your dreams of glory, he's stuck here living out everyday, day to day, with death tugging at his elbow. There's one big difference between you and me George. I do this job because I've been trained to do it. You do it because... you love it."

He was spitting ice with those lines. Fantastic performance.

Last edited by Ryan : 2021-07-04 at 23:49.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-07, 00:44

I grew up in an age when Patton was on regular TV with some regularity, but I don't remember watching it. Coppola wrote a script that was rejected, but George C. Scott insisted that they us Coppola script. Some of Willis' shots look like something Coppola would later use and I am left wondering if the DP from Godfather (Koenekamp) had any conversations with the DP of Patton (Willis), or if this was just the style of shooting during that time period (which seems more likely).

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-07-07, 01:25

I'm a bit late on this, but Independence Day turned 25 this year, and it's still held up remarkably well.

Reading through the Happening-In-Real-Time Twitter thread was absolutely hilarious.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-07, 10:51

Wow. That was 25 years ago? And, yeah, that was a fun movie. The "remake" was terrible, but the original was just plain fun!

Especially for that time.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-09, 14:23

Awesome, just awesome. By all means, let's bring out the Loons & Dipshits™ brigade while we're at it.

There'd better not be a scene of Indy in space, trying to use his whip in zero-G.

"Damn, that's a lot easier on Earth...".

"Those moon rocks belong in a museum!"

...and so do you, Harry.

In any case, if you read the above toward the end, you'll see that it appears this installment will be set in 1969, which is when Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins did their thing. So, 1969...Indy and hippies. If he beats them all senseless over two hours, I could probably get behind this thing.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-07-09 at 14:46.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-09, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Wow. That was 25 years ago? And, yeah, that was a fun movie. The "remake" was terrible, but the original was just plain fun!

Especially for that time.
I realize that was the intent, but holy smokes was it dumb and noisy. Every frame is pure, unbelievable, cringe-inducing cheese...Will Smith at his most "aww, hellll naw" Smithiness, Harry Connick Jr. trying to be cool, Randy Quaid apparently playing himself, Jeff Goldblum Jeff Goldbluming it up all over the place, with Bill Pullman, Harvey Fierstein, Robert Loggia, Vivica A. Fox and Brent Spiner all embarrassing themselves.

Holy smokes that was an awful movie.

Judd Hirsch was the only bright spot for me. I would've enjoyed an entire movie of him kvetching and second-guessing everyone.