Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Camera backpacks and iPod camera connector

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Camera backpacks and iPod camera connector
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-06-03, 09:38

I'm buying a Nikon D40 later this month or early next month, and I'm looking for a bag to carry my gear in. I'd rather not go with the obvious (and man-purse-like) typical camera bag, so I'm looking for something backpack-style for my camera and accessories.

There are loads of camera backpacks out there, but I haven't found one yet that really fits my needs. I want something I can use as an airline carry-on that has enough room for all my gear plus a change of clothes just in case my other bags get lost or sent to the wrong place for a day or two.

Beside the camera body, I'll need to be able to carry two lenses, an iPod w/ camera connector (more on that in a moment), a small card reader, my camera battery charger (and perhaps an extra battery), a couple filters, an iPod wall charger, a USB cable for the iPod, and the change of clothes I already mentioned.

I'm budgeting about $100 for the bag, but I might be willing to spend a little extra. I don't really need the bag for a little while, so I might be able to stretch a bit if I find a bag I really love -- something with room for my MacBook would probably sway me.

Now for the iPod camera connector. I'm buying it so I don't have to take my MacBook with me when I travel (short road trips mostly, aside from a week in Daytona next summer). I'd like to use it with a card reader so I don't have to have my camera plugged into it while I'm dumping a card. Does it work with card readers, or will I have to just stop shooting while I'm loading photos off my camera?

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
HiRez

2007-06-03, 10:20

Check out:
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Slin...ot_300_AW.aspx

I have the smaller (AW200) bag and I am extremely happy with it. One of the unique features is that you can 'unsling' it and twist it to your front. It has an opening there so you immediately have your camera handy to take a shot. No need to walk around like a tourist with the camera around your neck. (you still might look like a tourist with a backback...but you'll be less of an obvious target).

Plenty of room for stuff and it comes with a built in raincover. Not sure if it's big enough for the change of clothes (the 200 is too small..). All your photogear will definitely fit along with the electronics you mention.

Furthermore... it looks good and sturdy with plenty of padding for the camera and lenses...

Good luck!
HiRez
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-06-03, 10:26

This backpack
http://www.wengerna.com/browse/produ...&sub_cat_id=82
will carry your computer, your camera, all your computer gear, all your camera gear, and more.

Highly recommended.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-03, 12:32

Lowepro is the choice made by most of the photojournalist I know in this area. I don't have one yet, but I will be getting one in the near future to replace my "standard" camera bag.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-03, 12:41

About the camera connector, does it work with media readers? I've not seen any listed in the searches I've done. All I see is a few cameras that at required to be connected directly via USB, and even then it's a small list of cameras supported. Links would be great.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-06-03, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
About the camera connector, does it work with media readers? I've not seen any listed in the searches I've done. All I see is a few cameras that at required to be connected directly via USB, and even then it's a small list of cameras supported. Links would be great.
lol, that's what I was asking. I would assume it would work with a card reader, but I don't know.

Thanks for the bag recommendations, everybody. I'll check them out.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-03, 21:07

One of the articles I read actually recommended against it for anything more than a casual photographer. It kills the battery fast on the iPod. You would be better off investing in more CF cards.

danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2007-06-03, 21:30

I Have the CompuDaypack from lowepro. I have two camera bodies and two lenses in it, It can hold a 17" MBP... right now I just have the 15" MBP in it... And it has a place for a iPod to go...

I think the bag is $100.00 CND... But I got it on sale for $60.00

Here's a link
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-06-04, 07:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsza View Post
I Have the CompuDaypack from lowepro. I have two camera bodies and two lenses in it, It can hold a 17" MBP... right now I just have the 15" MBP in it... And it has a place for a iPod to go...

I think the bag is $100.00 CND... But I got it on sale for $60.00

Here's a link
That one looks pretty close to perfect. I'll have to see how cheaply I can find it in the US. UPDATE: Looks like I can get it for around $80. This may be my new bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
One of the articles I read actually recommended against it for anything more than a casual photographer. It kills the battery fast on the iPod. You would be better off investing in more CF cards.
Yeah, I'm not too worried about battery life. I'll rarely need to dump my card more than once a day, and I can charge the iPod immediately after. I'm only taking the iPod with me to avoid taking my MacBook across the country and having to worry about it all day. I'll buy an extra SD card (yes, the D40 uses SD, not CF), but it would be nice to have a way to dump one card and start shooting on the other one immediately. That's why I was asking about card readers (which I've still not gotten a clear answer on, here or anywhere else).

Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-06-04, 13:14

I can thoroughly recommend the Lowepro CompuTrekker AW. I used it recently on my trip to Australia and it fit in the overhead compartment with ease and was never questioned by airport personnel, nor did it draw attention to itself as holding a fair amount of equipment. For the record, mine was loaded with my camera, heaps of b+w film, three lenses (one L series with a hood), filters, a Giottos lens cleaner rocket and a spray jacket in the middle section. It also housed the assorted pens, notes, CDs, iPod and books in the outer zip-up pocket and a PowerBook in the padded sleeve section. On the way back I removed my spray jacket froom the mid section to accommodate an additional camera body: the "pro-size" EOS 1V HS. (I absolutely love this camera! )

The advantages it has over the CompuDaypack are:
  • storage capacity
  • shell protection
  • ready access to all your camera gear
  • AW (all weather) cover
  • the ability to attach a tripod
  • padded shoulder straps and back support

The CompuDaypack with its iPod holder and headphone port, colours and smaller size might appeal to students. However, in terms of "room to grow", the CompuTrekker series offers the budding photographer greater potential.

That said, I read somewhere that it is best not to kid yourself that you'll only ever own one camera bag.

RE: price - I was fortunate in that we found a Lowepro distributor in Nanjing (I'd hazard a guess the bags are made in China) and the price was substantially lower than what it retails for in Australia.

Also, another pro camera case manufacturer is ThinkTANK photo. They may be a tad expensive, but be sure to check them out, nonetheless.

All I want is a simple life
twitter